Playing with your Wii.....?

ogryn

Original Poster
I don't know whether to :lol: or :cry: ?

IGN said:
Introducing Nintendo Wii
Revolution gets an official name.
by Matt Casamassina

April 27, 2006 - Nintendo revealed this morning that the official name of its formerly codenamed Revolution system is Nintendo Wii.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703502p1.html
http://revolution.nintendo.com/

CaptainMichael

I prefer to "kick it old skool"
1.jpg

WDWFREAK53

I really don't understand this whole concept.

I do understand that the remote or "controller" is interactive with the gameplay...but to what extent?

If I'm playing a baseball game...do I actually swing the controller? Doesn't seem that fun to me (only because it's not realistic...this doesn't have the size or weight or feel of a baseball bat...so how can it feel real when you're playing it?)...but I'm sure it would be fun to walk in on someone that's playing it. :lookaroun

ogryn

Original Poster
WDWFREAK53 said:
I really don't understand this whole concept.

I do understand that the remote or "controller" is interactive with the gameplay...but to what extent?

If I'm playing a baseball game...do I actually swing the controller? Doesn't seem that fun to me (only because it's not realistic...this doesn't have the size or weight or feel of a baseball bat...so how can it feel real when you're playing it?)...but I'm sure it would be fun to walk in on someone that's playing it. :lookaroun

It can do whatever the developers want to do with it, or just stick in a controller-shell and it's a standard controller.

Take the Red Steel game announced, you've got the "Nunchuck" in one hand to control direction, with the freehand controller in the other which is your "gun" (or sword). Even if you tilt the controller left or right, it'll tilt the gun in your hand.

Or it could be a paint brush on the screen, or a cockpit joystick on a flightsim, or a drum-stick, or a flash light (Luigi's Mansion Pt2?). The list goes on...

EDIT:

Straight from (suprisingly enough) EA's mouth, about Madden Revolution
Madden Game Mechanics

But how will Madden play in any strikingly different way? Schappert illustrated: "So for example, you're hiking the ball. You grab the controller, and you pull it up. And you snap the ball, without pushing a button. To throw, you take your hand and you gesture a throw motion. The harder you gesture, the more you send a bullet pass. If you gesture softer, you throw a lob. If you're kicking, you take the controller as if it were your foot and swing up on it. The straighter you keep it angled the straighter it goes. If it's tilted a bit, the ball might sway."

"You're...a receiver, you just caught the ball. You want to stiff arm? Take your hand out and extend it. You want to juke left or right? Jerk your arm left or right. So in addition to using the pointing device to select plays, we've completely redone the control scheme as if the Revolution was the only platform."

Schappert continued: "We're not spending our time saying, 'Okay, let me make it comfortable for you, for the person who has played previous Madden games.' We're saying, 'Hey, you just bought the Revolution. It has a unique controller, and this game is unique. This is proof of why you bought the Revolution. We're not simply going to port games, we're going to make them so you feel they're unique and original offerings. Sure you might have played a football game before, but not like this.'"

"Our core focus right now is on the actual gameplay mechanics. We're making sure that when you gesture with your hand, it recognizes it appropriately. That's not trivial. We did focus group testing, and found that people had twenty different ways of throwing. We're making sure to capture all those, and whatever way you throw, hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that it recognizes it."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom