Playalinda Beach for rocket launches?

some guy

Original Poster
Been looking around for a place to meet with some people to hang out and watch a rocket launch. Playalinda looks like it's a good place to catch the Atlas V and some of the other ones on one of the NE launch pads.

Looking around on the web I don't see any mention of bathrooms there.

We can deal with wading out to the Atlantic to do business like the fishes, but if that's the case we'll have to plan for non-winter temps.

Any thoughts?

ISTCrew20

Playalinda is a great beach. Seems a little close to the launch pad to be open for launches. I remember the park was closed during shuttle launches, but I don't know if that applies to everything.

There are bathrooms in each parking lot, which is just a short elevated walk over the dunes from the beach.

some guy

Original Poster
Playalinda is a great beach. Seems a little close to the launch pad to be open for launches. I remember the park was closed during shuttle launches, but I don't know if that applies to everything.

There are bathrooms in each parking lot, which is just a short elevated walk over the dunes from the beach.
Cool, thanks for the info.

From what I've seen it looks like it's open for Atlas V s and some of the other b-list stuff, but I'll certainly look more into it.

s8film40

I usually watch the launches on 401 just north of the cruise terminal and just before you get to the Air Force base. This location is closer but there is no way to wade into the beach, no bathrooms or anything else. You pretty much just park on the side of the road and watch from right there. It's become a popular spot. Also KSC visitor complex lately has been selling tickets for some launches to watch from the LC-39 observation gantry, which I believe is the closest they've ever allowed launch viewing.

some guy

Original Poster
I usually watch the launches on 401 just north of the cruise terminal and just before you get to the Air Force base. This location is closer but there is no way to wade into the beach, no bathrooms or anything else. You pretty much just park on the side of the road and watch from right there. It's become a popular spot. Also KSC visitor complex lately has been selling tickets for some launches to watch from the LC-39 observation gantry, which I believe is the closest they've ever allowed launch viewing.
Hrm. No bathrooms and stuff might be an issue. We were looking to make a day of it tailgating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom