Plastic Cheese

Phonedave

Is it back? If so, WHERE CAN I FIND IT?

Mostly hoping it is back at Casey's Corner.

You can't.find it

I have a friend who works in the food industry. I was talking to her about the lack of plastic cheese (not just in WDW, but everywhere)

According to her, it is an industry wide problem. I forget the exact reasons but it has to do with the palm oil that is in it. Palm oil is not normally a sustainable product - it destroys rain forests. There are ways to produce it sustainably, but currently it costs a lot. I think it is law in the US that either they cannot use non-sustainable, or that they have to pay a fee to use it. So this means the cost of palm oil is really high.

Apprently there is not much else you can use to make this kind of cheese sauce. Palm oil allows it to be reheated multiple times without seperating or breaking. For "normal" cheese sauce that you heat once and use, there are a bunch of different options. But for the stuff in the pump server, apparently palm oil is the only way to go.

According to her, until something changes, the cost of "plastic cheese" is going to remain extremely high.

-dave

Jon81uk

You can get small single serving cups of cheese sauce now at Casey's and Cosmic Rays.

Cosmic-Rays-Add-Cheese-Dip-Sign-16_-013.jpg

Cosmic-Rays-Nacho-Cheese-Sauce-16_-009.jpg

Spectro

I remember watching a youngster about 7 year old once at fixin bar just keep pumpin the cheese until the food was swimming.:joyfull:

Jon81uk

I wonder if it is served hot/warm or is it more like the cheese you get with the little cracker and cheese packets.

According to DFB it is warm.
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/11/13/review-cosmic-rays-starlight-cafe-at-magic-kingdom-2/

Note that they’ve now switched up to Gehl’s sharp cheddar sauce, which is a huge step up from the pre-packaged option they used to have. And FYI, it IS served warm, so even though it’s not true plastic cheese (and it’s NOT free), it’s a good substitute.

righttrack

There are many things that it's just wrong to put that stuff on. Other things, bring it on! They are just meant for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom