Planning trip to DL--when's a good time to go?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
My husband has only two windows to take his vacation, one in the summer (which is already spoken for) and one in the first quarter of the year, pretty much end of January through beginning of April. I have a free companion ticket from Delta and want to get the most bang for it, and it's only good domestically, so I thought where's the furthest I can go with this free ticket? Maybe it's time to explore California!

We'd have no more than 10 days, leaving on a Friday night and returning no later than the Monday of the following week, and I was thinking that maybe we'd spend a couple days at DL (trusting that I'll be able to get a room at the Grand Californian DVC), then make our way up the coast and see San Fran and maybe some of wine country and fly home from there. Or vice versa.

I'd appreciate any advice from the locals, or anyone who's done a similar trip.

• Most importantly, what would be the best time to travel? February? March?
  • Would I be better off to fly into Northern CA and make my way down, or start off in So CA and drive up? I've heard the PCH is a nice drive, would like to see it, so I think I'd prefer driving to flying.
  • Recommendationsn for any must-sees or -dos in between?
Thanks for any help.

Californian Elitist

I think the point from which you drive from depends on how much time you spend at Disneyland. Since this is your first time as a Disneyland guest, I'd recommend four to five days, five being the perfect amount of days. Since you have ten or less days to spend at Disneyland, I'd say you should consider three to four days. If you want to spend the majority of your time at Disneyland, I think I'd go to NorCal first, and make my way down. In the end it really doesn't matter if you go to SoCal or NorCal first. I've taken a trip to and from NorCal and the ride was amazing.

Spring break starts in March next year, so I'd go in February. While you're in Frisco (San Francisco), I'd recommend seeing Pier 39 and the Disney Family Museum. Pier 39 is really neat and although I haven't visited the Disney Family Museum yet, I can't imagine it being less than stellar. As far as SoCal goes, I'd make a special visit to the Disney Soda Fountain in Hollywood and The Grove/Farmer's Market. I really love the Disney Soda Fountain and I love The Grove/Farmer's Market, too. The Grove is a really nice and upscale shopping center; a really nice place to hang out and Farmer's Market is really historic. You can find just about every type of cuisine there and the food is really good! The Grove and Farmer's Market are within the same complex.

The Grove:

thegrove.JPG

grove431.jpeg

grove10.jpg

Farmer's Market:

2765343514_bd5d92500b.jpg

los_angeles_farmers_market_1964.jpg

LAFairfax2_offcite.jpg

Disney Soda Fountain:

lookinside_pic_01.jpg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for those ideas, raven!! I'm looking forward to planning the trip, and will take your advice and start in SFO.

I was surprised to notice when looking at a map, that Anaheim is south of LA--for some reason, I thought it was to the north of the metro area.

Californian Elitist

Thank you for those ideas, raven!! I'm looking forward to planning the trip, and will take your advice and start in SFO.

I was surprised to notice when looking at a map, that Anaheim is south of LA--for some reason, I thought it was to the north of the metro area.

Nope, it's south, along with San Diego, Oceanside, Laguna, etc.. The "Santas" are north, except Santa Monica (Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Maria).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom