Planning January 2020 First trip to DLR.....forgot about ROTR.....HELP! :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So have been pondering a late January trip, my first to DLR:cool:.....and wanting to go during a less crowded season. We have always done WDW in Jan and early Feb to escape the snow here....I understood some things might be shut down for refurbishment at DLR. But had thought that ROTR was to be finished Fall 2019 at DLR. So this begs the question....what impact will this have in late January? Of course everyone thought last June would be a mess and it was NOT for the rest of the park, all things said quite the opposite. This attraction though is more likely to garner attention and thus is being reported as a bad time to visit.......Jan 17th is official date posted....Mercury News says it's the number one worst time to visit.;)

I am not worried about getting in to even see Galaxy's Edge to be honest, I want to explore the rest of Disneyland. My thoughts are along the lines of maybe this WOULD be a good time to go if people both avoid because of ROTR opening, or only want to go to see that, and since it is not summer and school is in session it otherwise would be a lower volume anyhow. Not knowing what Disney has planned for crowd management because of over-management possibly affecting lesser crowds for their park on GE opening.....may have them rethinking. :angelic:

I cannot really leave early January as I have a college student to return.....so wondering if I should squeeze in a few days PRIOR to Jan 17th and maybe remain for that day to see what I can.....or should I wait til early February....or just put it off til next winter!!!!?!?!? I do plan to stay at a Disney hotel....did that get people an automatic time to enter GE last time? I wonder if they will close access to whole land at introduction of ROTR again? hmmmm.....

So my objective is to get there with lesser crowds to explore the details of Disneyland. Trying to figure out how I can best make a January trip work.....and enjoyable.

Didn't the people staying at the Disney resorts get automatic timeslots for GE the opening weeks? Many thanks for your thoughts and insights.....:happy:

Last edited:

truecoat

So have been pondering a late January trip, my first to DLR:cool:.....and wanting to go during a less crowded season. We have always done WDW in Jan and early Feb to escape the snow here....I understood some things might be shut down for refurbishment at DLR. But had thought that ROTR was to be finished Fall 2019 at DLR. So this begs the question....what impact will this have in late January? Of course everyone thought last June would be a mess and it was NOT for the rest of the park, all things said quite the opposite. This attraction though is more likely to garner attention and thus is being reported as a bad time to visit.......Jan 17th is official date posted....Mercury News says it's the number one worst time to visit.;)

I am not worried about getting in to even see Galaxy's Edge to be honest, I want to explore the rest of Disneyland. My thoughts are along the lines of maybe this WOULD be a good time to go if people both avoid because of ROTR opening, or only want to go to see that, and since it is not summer and school is in session it otherwise would be a lower volume anyhow. Not knowing what Disney has planned for crowd management because of over-management possibly affecting lesser crowds for their park on GE opening.....may have them rethinking. :angelic:

I cannot really leave early January as I have a college student to return.....so wondering if I should squeeze in a few days PRIOR to Jan 17th and maybe remain for that day to see what I can.....or should I wait til early February....or just put it off til next winter!!!!?!?!? I do plan to stay at a Disney hotel....did that get people an automatic time to enter GE last time? I wonder if they will close access to whole land at introduction of ROTR again? hmmmm.....

So my objective is to get there with lesser crowds to explore the details of Disneyland. Trying to figure out how I can best make a January trip work.....and enjoyable.

Didn't the people staying at the Disney resorts get automatic timeslots for GE the opening weeks? Many thanks for your thoughts and insights.....:happy:

I've been on grad night days, Christmas and Halloween. If you're prepared for the parks being busy, none of them were that bad.

It's a broken record but getting there before rope drop and hitting some of the rides that have longer lines all day will make for a good visit.

mickEblu

If you can then I think it’s a no lose situation to move your trip up a few days. The 13th-16th would be ideal. Not only does ROTR open that weekend but it’s also MLK weekend. You could have your last day be the day ROTR opens since you re here anyway.

I don’t not believe Magic morning hour was available for GE when it opened. Not sure if that’s changed or will change by January.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If you can then I think it’s a no lose situation to move your trip up a few days. The 13th-16th would be ideal. Not only does ROTR open that weekend but it’s also MLK weekend. You could have your last day be the day ROTR opens since you re here anyway.

I don’t not believe Magic morning hour was available for GE when it opened. Not sure if that’s changed or will change by January.

Er isn't MLK the middle of February? THAT is a doozy at WDW.....;)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oops that's Presidents Day in Feb.....still bad at WDW....things only get busier after that. But thanks for that point....I am sort of thinking 24 - 30ish......or maybe early September 2020.....:angelic:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Have to drive one of my children far away to college.....in the extreme winter....wont get back home til after the 14th....they may get ride from friend but it's rather iffy.....let alone turn around for a trip....very likely deep snow variables unknown survival training prepping that sort of thing....otherwise it would be a slamdunk done!:angelic:

mandelbrot

The opening of ROTR will produce the crowds TDA thought they were going to get for the opening of SW:GE. Crowds turn out for major rides more than they do for highly themed areas. And all AP's will be unblocked.

Figments Friend

From personal , first hand experience -

January in Southern California is one of the few rare times of the year when it might rain during your visit, possibly for a few days.
Rain in CA is a big deal ..because it IS so unusual.
There are even local news reports about it when it happens!
If you have experience visiting Florida and WDW during the Summer or early autumn, you likely have already experienced what it's like to visit a Disney Theme Park in the rain.
Keep this in mind while considering your January visit.
The thunderstorm / monsoon conditions of FL are not what you might experience in CA, but a rainy day is a rainy day....with all the 'plusses' and 'minuses' that can entail.
:)
I visited Disneyland earlier this year, in mid-January, and it rained for four/ five of the seven days I was in town.
Unusual, but it can happen.

If I were to choose a month between the two you are considering, I would choose early September....after the Labor Day weekend/ day.
Great time to visit.
I've been many times during that magical 'between seasons' slot and the weather and crowd levels have been fantastic.
Only downside - The original 'Haunted Mansion' may be closed for its annual Holiday overlay, or worse, open and drawing in the throngs of local APers.
Check ahead for the opening date.

The 'sweet spot' is the brief time period after Labor Day and before the Mansion reopens.
That is, unless you desire to see the Mansion's Holiday makeover.
It IS definitely a alternative version that is worth seeing, exspecially if you are a fan of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas" film and characters.

Happy planning!

-

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The opening of ROTR will produce the crowds TDA thought they were going to get for the opening of SW:GE. Crowds turn out for major rides more than they do for highly themed areas. And all AP's will be unblocked.

That's what I was afraid of....would be rather anticlimactic for a first time guest....:angelic:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
From personal , first hand experience -

January in Southern California is one of the few rare times of the year when it might rain during your visit, possibly for a few days.
Rain in CA is a big deal ..because it IS so unusual.
There are even local news reports about it when it happens!
If you have experience visiting Florida and WDW during the Summer or early autumn, you likely have already experienced what it's like to visit a Disney Theme Park in the rain.
Keep this in mind while considering your January visit.
The thunderstorm / monsoon conditions of FL are not what you might experience in CA, but a rainy day is a rainy day....with all the 'plusses' and 'minuses' that can entail.
I visited Disneyland earlier this year, in mid-January, and it rained for four/ five of the seven days I was in town.
Unusual, but it can happen.

If I were to choose a month between the two you are considering, I would choose early September....after the Labor Day weekend/ day.
Great time to visit.
I've been many times during that magical 'between seasons' slot and the weather and crowd levels have been fantastic.
Only downside - The original 'Haunted Mansion' may be closed for its annual Holiday overlay, or worse, open and drawing in the throngs of local APers.
Check ahead for the opening date.

The 'sweet spot' is the brief time period after Labor Day and before the Mansion reopens.
That is, unless you desire to see the Mansion's Holiday makeover.
It IS definitely a alternative version that is worth seeing, exspecially if you are a fan of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas" film and characters.

Happy planning!

-

Well I would much prefer to see mansion in normal state but that is interesting suggestion....Labor Day falls later in 2020 so is the overlay always directly tied to that date? Sure if overlay was known I could enjoy a few days of lower crowds and still experience the different setting that WDW does not get.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks I am still rather on the fence. Ha just at dinner tonight the people at table behind us were commenting about the daily rain they suffered under in southern CA in Jan and Feb.......but likewise I have read many posts about people intentionally going TO the park when it is raining and having a blast in a semi empty park. :joyfull: Sure would be nice if they moved it out a week or too....:angelic:. Have been reading about DL for years....I know how to navigate WDW no matter what, its the unfamiliarity of how things work when busy I would have to sit with.....it is quite helpful to have you DLR peeps to bounce things off of.....:happy:

Figments Friend

Well I would much prefer to see mansion in normal state but that is interesting suggestion....Labor Day falls later in 2020 so is the overlay always directly tied to that date? Sure if overlay was known I could enjoy a few days of lower crowds and still experience the different setting that WDW does not get.

Disneyland's 'Haunted Mansion' almost always closes for the yearly Holiday overlay in mid-August, and typically re-opens the second weekend in September.
The overlay remains until DLR's Holiday season is over, usually the week after New Years Day.
Then the Mansion will be closed again for a few weeks to remove the overlay, reopening at a later date ( end of the month / early February, I'm guessing....don't recall actual time. )

As far as being familiar with Walt Disney World, I will say right now that Disneyland and the Resort area as a whole are a VERY different experience then what you may be used to.
It is absolutely NOT the same....and in many cases, that's a good thing!
In my personal experience, I can whole heartedly say it is a far superior experience when it comes to the actual Guest experience at the Park(s).
Disneyland Park in particular.
That is coming from a 40+ year WDW Veteren who 'discovered ' Disneyland in 2007.
Your mileage may vary, but it is indeed a very special Park brim full of many amazing and magical experiences.
And all without having to book everything six months in advance, and being able to do whatever you want on a whim by just walking in the front gate.
Yes, I LOVE Disneyland!

I HIGHLY recommend you spend a hour or two reading the thread that is currently in this very Forum section related to WDW Veterens visiting DLR.
There is much info to be gleaned there from the fact filled postings about the various differences between the two Resort properties on opposite coasts.
Don't be fooled into thinking this will be 'WDW Lite'.
Wonders await you cannot even begin to imagine .
;)

-

-

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks Figments Friend! I have read that thread, and it does indeed have a lot of great information. Have read a lot on Walt and DLR over the years and always longed to visit the first park. WDW of course was much more affordable for a family on this side of the country....and now my children are semi adults,...my focus is getting to DLR......but I can't ignore I feel out of my element without research and I do find that process rather fun vs anxiety provoking. I think on the people who just show up to WDW without any prep work for one day and are disappointed and overwhelmed. It is the whole history and details,rides and experiences that are both familiar because of my many adventures to WDW, yet different and new.....

So I had not thought of the HM being closed in mid January altogether, but another chock mark in the September trip column! If I arrived on Monday which would be Labor Day, I wouldn't have to go to the park that day but could just enjoy the resort and shopping....as I assume a midday visit on a holiday would be rather crazy....but then I would have Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday with relative lower crowds....and experience Friday with most everything already done but experience the HM.

So tell me.....during normal state of HM isn't it quite the same as WDW once you are on the ride?;) That and do they have the early park closings for the Halloween parties beginning that day the HM opens with its overlay?

Figments Friend

So I had not thought of the HM being closed in mid January altogether, but another chock mark in the September trip column! If I arrived on Monday which would be Labor Day, I wouldn't have to go to the park that day but could just enjoy the resort and shopping....as I assume a midday visit on a holiday would be rather crazy....but then I would have Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday with relative lower crowds....and experience Friday with most everything already done but experience the HM.

So tell me.....during normal state of HM isn't it quite the same as WDW once you are on the ride?;) That and do they have the early park closings for the Halloween parties beginning that day the HM opens with its overlay?

I personally would avoid Labor Day altogether and fly in on that Tuesday.
You will likely score a far cheaper airfare, ( traveling on a holiday can often double your fare ) and you will avoid the local crowd showing up on the Monday holiday.

I've flown into town for a few years on that same time block ( either Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day ) and was able to get a great coast to coast fare.
Mid-week arrival also gives you two low crowd days to familiarize yourself with the Park offerings and enjoy the more laid back touring experience Disneyland excels in.
That Wednesday in the Park was exspecially empty compared to how it feels later in the week and exspecially the weekends.
You have to keep in mind that Disneyland attracts a LOT of locals and Annual Passholders on the weekends.
Local teens and 20 somethings use the Parks as others their age might use their local shopping mall to hang out in.
So mid-week, when school is in and people are working , are the best days to be at Disneyland Park in particular.
...in my own personal experiences.

Regarding the re-opening of The Haunted Mansion during that week....be sure to check online to confirm the date if you really want to see the Holiday overlay, or if you are still thinking about a January trip, when it may re-open after its removal.
Past dates can usually be tracked down online ( and on Forums such as this ) and can be a good indicator as to when such dates might happen this season.
In general, the Holiday overlay re-opening is typically the second weekend in September when Disneyland's HalloweenTime season begins.
It will close for removal of the Holiday overlay in early January ( usually whatever day the Parks' Xmas events season ends ) and reopen later in the month.

This year the annual Halloween Party events are being held over at DCA , so you don't have to worry about early Park closings due to the Parties.
DCA will close early to the public on those nights, but Disneyland will more then likely be open much later ( 11pm, 12am ).
Once when I was there the day the Mansion reopened during the start of HalloweenTime season, Disneyland extended its hours to compensate for the large crowds that were there that night.
So you might find yourself enjoying a hour or two more Park time then what was originally listed for operational hours that day.

Despite the Halloween Parties being over at DCA this year, there WILL still be insanely long lines to visit the Mansion over at Disneyland that weekend when the overlay version opens.
Be forewarned - crowds will indeed increase and you may well witness some crazy crowding in the late afternoon / evenings that opening weekend.
Try to visit the Mansion in the early part of the day, or right before Park closing to avoid some of the wait.
Legacy FP ( WDWs 'old' original paper FP service / system ) is the way to go if you can get one early in the day.
You can also pay for DLR's MaxPass service to reserve virtual FPs on your mobile device once you enter the turnstiles at the Park, day of.

And no, Disneyland's 'Haunted Mansion' is very different when compared to Walt Disney World's version of the Attraction.
Both share many similar scenes, but the presentation and scale is unique.
Both are must sees, and both have unique elements that make each one great in its own right.
Also, Disneyland's version has the famous 'Hatbox Ghost', among many other delights awaiting you.

-

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I personally would avoid Labor Day altogether and fly in on that Tuesday.
You will likely score a far cheaper airfare, ( traveling on a holiday can often double your fare ) and you will avoid the local crowd showing up on the Monday holiday.

I've flown into town for a few years on that same time block ( either Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day ) and was able to get a great coast to coast fare.
Mid-week arrival also gives you two low crowd days to familiarize yourself with the Park offerings and enjoy the more laid back touring experience Disneyland excels in.
That Wednesday in the Park was exspecially empty compared to how it feels later in the week and exspecially the weekends.
You have to keep in mind that Disneyland attracts a LOT of locals and Annual Passholders on the weekends.
Local teens and 20 somethings use the Parks as others their age might use their local shopping mall to hang out in.
So mid-week, when school is in and people are working , are the best days to be at Disneyland Park in particular.
...in my own personal experiences.

Regarding the re-opening of The Haunted Mansion during that week....be sure to check online to confirm the date if you really want to see the Holiday overlay, or if you are still thinking about a January trip, when it may re-open after its removal.
Past dates can usually be tracked down online ( and on Forums such as this ) and can be a good indicator as to when such dates might happen this season.
In general, the Holiday overlay re-opening is typically the second weekend in September when Disneyland's HalloweenTime season begins.
It will close for removal of the Holiday overlay in early January ( usually whatever day the Parks' Xmas events season ends ) and reopen later in the month.

This year the annual Halloween Party events are being held over at DCA , so you don't have to worry about early Park closings due to the Parties.
DCA will close early to the public on those nights, but Disneyland will more then likely be open much later ( 11pm, 12am ).
Once when I was there the day the Mansion reopened during the start of HalloweenTime season, Disneyland extended its hours to compensate for the large crowds that were there that night.
So you might find yourself enjoying a hour or two more Park time then what was originally listed for operational hours that day.

Despite the Halloween Parties being over at DCA this year, there WILL still be insanely long lines to visit the Mansion over at Disneyland that weekend when the overlay version opens.
Be forewarned - crowds will indeed increase and you may well witness some crazy crowding in the late afternoon / evenings that opening weekend.
Try to visit the Mansion in the early part of the day, or right before Park closing to avoid some of the wait.
Legacy FP ( WDWs 'old' original paper FP service / system ) is the way to go if you can get one early in the day.
You can also pay for DLR's MaxPass service to reserve virtual FPs on your mobile device once you enter the turnstiles at the Park, day of.

And no, Disneyland's 'Haunted Mansion' is very different when compared to Walt Disney World's version of the Attraction.
Both share many similar scenes, but the presentation and scale is unique.
Both are must sees, and both have unique elements that make each one great in its own right.
Also, Disneyland's version has the famous 'Hatbox Ghost', among many other delights awaiting you.

-
Figments Friend in your experience have you found DLR decorated for Halloween the days preceding the opening of the HM with overlay? I assume that has been going on for a few weeks, but is the rest of the park(s) have Halloween décor up prior, or does it appear with HM opening, and/or over weeks following? Thanks! Oh that and is the Hatbox Ghost still viewable with overlay in place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom