Planning for Summer 2020 - Pop Century vs Coronado

higgipoker

Original Poster
Hi folks, looking for some input. After 2017 (Riverside without dining pan) and 2018 (Caribbean with QS plan) both of which we loved, it's now time (after sadly having to skip 2019) to begin planning for summer 2020! W00t W00t! :p

As the title suggests, we're looking for a bit of feedback from Disney experts in deciding between Pop Century and Coronado.

We have the usual "free" dining options available (breakfast for Pop and QS for Coronado) and, using our previous visits as a yardstick to account for what we expect to spend, considering the respective dining plans, Coronado actually comes out slightly cheaper (granted, the figures are based on a slightly over-indulgent 2017!). Is this a no-brainer since Coronado is a moderate level resort?

Our "plus" column for Pop lists the location (more central), the Skyliner connection (which we are really excited about!) and having more flexibility with the breakfast dining plan, not feeling obliged to use up so many credits etc (we are not huge eaters).

The only real minuses for Coronado are the location (close to AK but farther from the rest) and the fact that we spend hardly any time at all at the resort (which seems to be negated by the fact that the QS dining plan calculation actually makes it comparable to Pop in terms of cost.)

The wild card is that we are both vegan, so without having the QS dining and snack credits to use up, we could probably eat more "conservatively" during the day and splash out more on the table service restaurants in the evenings. The snack and, to an extent, QS credits can be challenging to use up on vegan friendly items without getting the same thing all the time. Our staples are Diet Coke, Starbucks coffees, Pretzels, Tofutti shakes and ice cream and the various vegan burgers they have started to introduce around the parks.

Also, there are at least a few QS locations we love that, infuriatingly, don't accept the dining plan. Sleepy Hollow for example, who will do a non-dairy version of their waffles that we love but can't use a credit for!

Table service restaurants seem to be a lot more vegan friendly, with chefs often happy to prepare something special!

The other side of that argument is that even the snack and QS options for vegans seem to be improving year on year... who knows what to expect in 2020!?

Any thoughts? Thanks! And double thanks if you made it through this rather rambling, disjointed post! :p

Last edited:

Zé_Carioca

I agree that the Skyliner is convenient and since you won't spend time at the Resorts, Pop is a solid choice.

However, given the Vegan aspect Coronado seems to have better food options. I know both their quick service and pool bar have the beyond burger and they just added a signature restaurant (Toledo) that has a vegan "seafood" spread. I can't speak for the vegan options at Pop but if you plan on having some meals at the resorts Coronado will have some nice vegan options. On top of that, Coronado is not that far from other Resorts, it is actually somewhat close to Epcot and DHS, I watched both nighttime shows from my room at the new Coronado tower.

Ghostdog

We returned from a summer vacay at Pop (June 27-Jul 3), it’s a great hotel to stay at and save money if you’re not going to be spending much time in your room. We liked our room a lot, the set up was perfect for the 2 of us. One thing to remember is that the value resorts tend to book a lot of teams in the summer months. There were many dance teams and baseball teams at our resort during our stay. Another big downfall for us was the bus stop, sure Pop has its own bus stop, but it’s the farthest walk at the parks and unshaded at the resort. While we did enjoy our stay I’m sure it will be our last at a value.

higgipoker

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I'm 75% Coronado atm, but going to go over the figures again. It's hard to accept that the cost of a moderate will work out to be roughly the same as a value... I suspect we've over-estimated how much we'd actually eat/drink were we not tied in by the dining credits...

The bus situation at Pop is also a bit of an unknown I guess... in terms of how much the Skyliner will both add transport capacity in it's own right and also ease the pressure on the bus service.

KCheatle

I've stayed at both, although it has been a few years.

Rooms: The only difference I can recall in the rooms is a sliding door at CS between the bedroom and the sink area. That was nice if one person wanted to sleep while the other got ready. But, otherwise, the rooms are basically the same.

Pools: The main pool at CS has the slide, so that is a plus. Both main pools had pool bars.

Gigantic Size: Both resorts are huge. Depending on where you room is located, the walk to the main lobby can be SOOO LONG!!! You can try and control this with requesting a specific building, though, when you check in.

Bus stop: Pop does have only 1 bus stop, which is both a pro and con - you can get in line, and people who are later than you have to get behind you. Where at CS, people at the stop ahead of you could show up 2 minutes before the bus comes, and still pack it so there is either no room for you once the bus gets to your stop or if there is you are packed in like sardines. The pro to multiple bus stops is you are dropped off closer to your room at the end of a long day. Yes, the POP will have the gondolas, which look amazing, But, I'm not sure how practical they will be. In any event, you would still be taking the bus to MK and AK. So, the bus system will be important.

Food: With respect to the food, Pop's QS is more grade-school cafeteria IMHO where CS's QS is a variety of Mexican foods with a couple basic things for picky eaters. I know my kids preferred Pop's menu, but I thought CS's was more interesting. CS also has a nice table service restaurant. I have no idea what either offer for a vegan menu or options though. So, probably worth scoping out the menus in advance.

PeoplemoverTTA

We are also vegan, and we heard that Coronado has pretty good options (including at the new Gran Destino tower). Our typical resort lately has been POP, including the new refurbished rooms last August. During our stays, we have always been treated really well in the food court. Ask for Chef Michael -- he gave me his card and told me to let him know a few weeks before we come, and he would stock up on Gardein strips and other vegan food for us. I hope he's still at POP - you could email him, and if he's not, I'm sure he'll connect you with the right person -- he was a REALLY nice guy for us on multiple trips. Chef Michael Coyle, michael.f.coyle@disney.com.

But now, they do have a Beyond Burger there. They'll also make you vegan Mickey Waffles every morning, and they have Erin McKenna's cupcakes in the cooler.

If you haven't already, be sure to join the Veg Disney group on Facebook - they are super helpful. And if you want any personal recommendations for restaurants, feel free to DM me. We are planning our 1/2020 trip (we're changing it up and staying at CBR) now, so I'm knee deep in dining planning :)

higgipoker

Original Poster
we're changing it up and staying at CBR

Awesome. We stayed there last year and, even during the refurbishments, it was absolutely fantastic! We couldn't believe how good the temporary buffet was (not big fans of buffets normally) and for one QS credit it was amazing value! They had plenty in the main buffet suitable for vegans and of course were happy to break out the vegan waffles and cupcakes too. We really did have a great experience there and the setting/theming is just stunning.

It was actually top of my list for 2020 again but the better half wants to try somewhere new :p

NormC

We loved Coronado when we stayed there in 2015. Normally we would have used a DVC resort but we were there because of the Field Hockey tournament and we had to stay where the team stayed.

SAV

Having stayed at both, I would go CSR in a heartbeat. It's just better in all aspects. The room is larger than a value. Better amenities. We usually drive, so I can't say much about the busses, but we did take them one time to try it and it was what you expect it to be. It just feels more upscale than POP. We have stayed multiple times and I did see some "conference" people there once, but so what. They were doing their thing and I was doing mine. I couldn't care less.

Now the Skyliner at POP is a cool thing that wasn't there when I stayed. Would that make me choose POP over CSR...No. Again since I drive it isn't a big deal to me.

Commander Buzzy

I can guarantee that walking at a normal pace of 15 min/mile, the farthest building is no more than a 5 minute walk. i have walked it many times and it never took more than 8 minutes at the most to reach the bus stops. The busses at both have pros and cons from a strictly resort perspective .

POP pros: 1 bus stop in front of lobby, no more than 10 minute max walk to/from ANY room at POP, You can take the AoA bus and walk the 5 minutes over the bridge (does not include time walking to room once over the bridge.), usually has a CM out front to call for extra transportation if needed., separate queues for each destination

POP Cons: only mk busses use the circulator [accordion] busses. (This may change with the Skyliner and Galaxy's Edge open)., May have to share bus with large groups but most provide their own transportation.

CS Pros: multiple bus stops throughout the resort so usually no more than a 2 minute walk,

CS Cons: multiple bus stops throughout the resort (bus may be full when it pulls up), no CM directing traffic/call for extra transportation at the bus stops, may make multiple stops before departing resort (lengthening travel time), no designated queues at bus stops.

I know this may sound weird, but from a strictly resort transportation standpoint, Pop is clearly the winner. As for other considerations, such as differences in rooms and amenities, I'm not very sure of as it's been quite a while since I've stayed at Coronado.

Last edited:

higgipoker

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. We went for Coronado! Can't wait! :cool:

It was little more than a coin toss but in the end my better half thought that QS dining plan represented a significant saving, and I was just attracted by the fact that it's a moderate over a value level resort for the same (and potentially cheaper) price!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom