Planning a trip and have some questions

awywias

Hi, everyone! My oldest daughter turns 5 in October and we are planning a trip as a birthday present for her. I have a few questions and thought I would ask the experts! šŸ˜Š

1. February vs April: I'm thinking either Feb 13-19 (Park days would be Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) or April 24-30 (Park days Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri); the only thing I'm worried about with February is the Texas weather when we leave. We're going to drive and it can either be sunny and 80 degrees or 20 and snowing lol. How is the weather in April? Looks like average temps are in the 80s. I get heat migraines, so just hoping it's not super hot and humid. Is one month better than the other?

2. Strollers- my youngest will be under 2, so I know we'll need a stroller for her. Thoughts on needing a stroller for the 5 yr old? Should I rent a double stroller? Are they hard to get around with in the parks? And I'm worried about her being too big. She's very tall for her age.

3. Magicbands- I haven't been to WDW since 2007, so I know nothing about them. Are they worth having for everyone?

4. Floridays vs Sheraton Vistana- we decided to stay off property because, with our party size, a 2-3 bedroom villa is more economical and we like having a full kitchen. Is one better than the other? They both look great to me.

5. Backpack vs pack (do they still call them that?! šŸ˜†)- I need suggestions for a little bag to take on rides for my wallet, etc when we have to leave the stroller parked. I've been trying to talk myself into a Kylo Ren Loungefly pre-order and this might just be my best excuse to get it! Lol. Or would y'all suggest something different.

5. Chef Mickey's vs Hollywood and Vine breakfast- I wanted to do a character dining meal. Is there one y'all like better than the other? Both my kids love Mickey and my oldest is always watching Disney Jr. I'm leaning more towards Chef Mickey's because we would get to ride the monorail and I haven't seen great reviews lately for the Disney Jr breakfast.

Thanks, guys!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
1. Both times CAN be hot.
February is the more unpredictable time. It could be hot or it could be down right cold.
April is a sweet spot in my opinion. Hot but not summer in Florida hot. But if you are heat sensitive then I'd go with February and take your chances with snow.

2. Your one daughter will be closer to 5.5years old by then. Personally I wouldn't bother with a stroller option for her. Everyone gets tired so work some breaks in whether its a couple of shows, a snack in the a/c, or people watching.
Yes double strollers are difficult to navigate through the crowds but really any stroller is. Of course you'll still need one for the younger child though.

3. I find magic bands helpful because its right there on your wrist but at this point Disney is trying to give more options so you could use a ticket, a magic band, a phone, or a smart watch. You'll want to decide for yourself what will be best.

4. I'm not familiar with either.

5. This really depends on what you will need to bring to the parks and what your style of park touring is.
I just pack for the parks for myself and don't need much so I usually go for a smaller bag like a crossbody or mini backpack.
Having a toddler and 5yr old you're probably going to need more in the parks so I'd probably go with a regular size backpack and if necessary a small bag for just you're essentials.
You could rent a locker or leave the backpack in the stroller when not needed but make sure you're not leaving anything too valuable.

6. Personally I'd go with Chef Mickey's because it has the fab 5 so you'll see the most classic characters.
There is a Disney Jr dance party at Hollywood Studios that would allow the kids to get their energy out and be in the a/c for a bit.

Upvote 1

awywias

Original Poster
1. Both times CAN be hot.
February is the more unpredictable time. It could be hot or it could be down right cold.
April is a sweet spot in my opinion. Hot but not summer in Florida hot. But if you are heat sensitive then I'd go with February and take your chances with snow.

2. Your one daughter will be closer to 5.5years old by then. Personally I wouldn't bother with a stroller option for her. Everyone gets tired so work some breaks in whether its a couple of shows, a snack in the a/c, or people watching.
Yes double strollers are difficult to navigate through the crowds but really any stroller is. Of course you'll still need one for the younger child though.

3. I find magic bands helpful because its right there on your wrist but at this point Disney is trying to give more options so you could use a ticket, a magic band, a phone, or a smart watch. You'll want to decide for yourself what will be best.

4. I'm not familiar with either.

5. This really depends on what you will need to bring to the parks and what your style of park touring is.
I just pack for the parks for myself and don't need much so I usually go for a smaller bag like a crossbody or mini backpack.
Having a toddler and 5yr old you're probably going to need more in the parks so I'd probably go with a regular size backpack and if necessary a small bag for just you're essentials.
You could rent a locker or leave the backpack in the stroller when not needed but make sure you're not leaving anything too valuable.

6. Personally I'd go with Chef Mickey's because it has the fab 5 so you'll see the most classic characters.
There is a Disney Jr dance party at Hollywood Studios that would allow the kids to get their energy out and be in the a/c for a bit.
Thank you so much for the input!

Upvote 0

bferrara16

2. - A quick piece of stroller advice (especially for a double, which I recommend personally even with a 5 year old)... check out facebook marketplace. We found a lot in good shape that were priced as cheap, if not cheaper than the rental price would be. We were even fortunate enough to find one that was being given away. Worth a look. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I think the stroller question is the toughest to answer -- it's so subjective. My kids were totally fine without one at WDW by age 4, but they're very fit and also tall for their age. Also, in those days we'd tour from rope drop to lunchtime, leave the parks for an extended nap back at the hotel, and then come back again from around 4pm-9pm for a nice dinner and to finish up touring, so the kids were never on their feet for more than a few hours at a time and weren't staying up late until our last night, plus we took frequent bathroom breaks and rest breaks as we went along. YMMV.

As far as the waist pack vs. backpack, it depends on how much you want to have with you. I usually just bring my phone, a tiny First Aid kit (a couple Band-Aids and some Tylenol), some wet wipes, my sunglasses, and a small wallet, all of which fits easily in a waist pack or tiny crossbody purse. I love that I don't have to remove either one for rides or restaurants, because that way I can't accidentally leave it anywhere. If it's a rainy or cold day and we need additional stuff (e.g., rain ponchos or hoodies), we bring a super-lightweight backpack (my backpack of choice is the Eddie Bauer Stowaway 20L Hiking Backpack), which can go on all the attractions with us. (Depending on the particular attraction's restraint system, I either wear it backwards, or set it on the floor of the ride vehicle, with my foot hooked through the straps). We do NOT carry heavy bottles of water with us: if we're thirsty, we drink the free stuff from counter service restaurants. I know the Florida water taste bothers some people, but we're used to some pretty funky well water at home.

My views on character breakfasts are pretty dim, but since the characters are what you're really paying for and the menus are incredibly similar, I'd pick whichever one has the characters your kids would be most excited to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MorphinePrince

Hi, everyone! My oldest daughter turns 5 in October and we are planning a trip as a birthday present for her. I have a few questions and thought I would ask the experts! šŸ˜Š

1. February vs April: I'm thinking either Feb 13-19 (Park days would be Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) or April 24-30 (Park days Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri); the only thing I'm worried about with February is the Texas weather when we leave. We're going to drive and it can either be sunny and 80 degrees or 20 and snowing lol. How is the weather in April? Looks like average temps are in the 80s. I get heat migraines, so just hoping it's not super hot and humid. Is one month better than the other?

4. Floridays vs Sheraton Vistana- we decided to stay off property because, with our party size, a 2-3 bedroom villa is more economical and we like having a full kitchen. Is one better than the other? They both look great to me.

5. Chef Mickey's vs Hollywood and Vine breakfast- I wanted to do a character dining meal. Is there one y'all like better than the other? Both my kids love Mickey and my oldest is always watching Disney Jr. I'm leaning more towards Chef Mickey's because we would get to ride the monorail and I haven't seen great reviews lately for the Disney Jr breakfast.

Thanks, guys!
1. I was an Orlando local for 5 years and both months you're planning can be a toss up with weather. As a previous poster said, February can be pleasant (highs in the upper 70s/low 80s during the day and in the 60s at night) or it can be as hot as July (with less humidity of course). Around April, you will find some of the heat begin to creep back along with the afternoon thunderstorms.

4. I've stayed at Vistana with my grandparents for a week back in 2016 and loved it! The rooms were very clean and spacious, and with your travel size, they should be just right. We cooked breakfast each morning and cooked dinner on the nights we were not in the parks late. They visited in January, so I did not take advantage of any outdoor amenities.

5. Never done Chef Mickey's but I took my fiance to Hollywood and Vine for his birthday in 2019 and we had an absolute blast! The food is tasty and the atmosphere with the characters was one of the best character dining experiences I've had next to 1900 Park Fare.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

2. I took a stroller for my kiddo when she was 5. We didn't take it most of the time, but one day it rained while we were at Epcot and my husband carried her a lot. If I were to do it again, I would take the stroller.

3. My kiddo loves her magicband and still wears it around like a bracelet. She loved being able to open the door to the room, etc. If you're not staying on site it might not have as much value to you, though. We used it for charging things to the room as well as park entry, FPs, etc. (And who knows what the FP replacement might be by then.)

5. We bought a generic camelbak and filled it with ice in the morning and afternoon. Fresh, cold water all the time, and it kept hubby's back cool. I thought it would be annoying to have a backpack on rides, but it really isn't. And a backpack was big enough to keep a few snacks and ponchos, plus sunscreen. When my kiddo was 2, having a snack readily available made line-waiting much more enjoyable, and you never know when it might rain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aliceismad

Also on the character meal - pre-covid the character interaction at Chef Mickey's was great, and we all love the monorail, but the food was meh. I preferred Crystal Palace,1900 Park Fare brunch, or Tusker House. Cape May Cafe is another option. Of course it depends on what characters your family loves. Also depends on what comes back post-covid and in what capacity. I've never eaten at Hollywood and Vine, so can't comment there.

Upvote 0

Mrs.JJP

1. My husband and I went the last week of April in 2019 and 2021 and the weather was GREAT! We had 1 rainy day between both weeks, and it only lasted a few hours. It's definitely hot and humid but I would imagine nowhere near summer heat. I was 24 weeks pregnant when we went this year, and even though our Magic Kingdom day was 90+ degrees, I was largely fine making sure to take lots of breaks for food and water, and to prioritize AC when needed.

2. I can't speak to navigating a stroller around the parks but my first trip was when I was 8 and my brother was 6, and my parents ended up renting a stroller for us. We didn't leave to take a break in the middle of the day and the go, go, go was hard on us. I think if you're more careful about breaks you could get away with just a single!

5. I always take a backpack and love it. You may want to consider a backpack over a /waist pack in order to have more room for water, snacks, entertainment, etc. while in line for your kiddos.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom