Places close to Orlando to move?

jlabruno

Original Poster
Hey All

I am needing some recommendations of places to live. My wife and I are going to be moving to Florida some time around Sept, Oct as my job is transferring me to Patrick Air Force Base.

We are looking to buy a house in the price range of 135,000 to 150,000 which from looking around the state and with the economy seems very doable these days. We use to spend a lot of time back in the day in Port St Lucie and love that kind of place but it is too far a commute. We want something in between Orlando and Patrick Air Force Base to cut down on the travel to work but not have to much travel to all the fun in Orlando.

Anyone can recommend any cities of towns where due to the economy we can get places in that price range? All we are looking for is places with not to high crime rates.

I know that a lot of posts on these boards list developments but when I use the home finder sites I need to know the city to get results.

Any help would be great as we are due to come to Florida to house shop in mid to late April.

Should also add we are just the two of us so 3 bed , 2 bath would be a nice place for us and over 1800 square feet. I know Port St Lucie has a ton of that for us but again too far.

tizzo

Thanks

If you had to list them in order from least amount of crime to worst how would you list them?

Rockledge is probably worst. Melbourne has good parts and bad parts - it's very long and skinny and therefore geographically diverse. Viera is pretty good, as is northern Melbourne (where I live). Merritt Island also has a lot of diversity. I've got family over there, and they live in a normal house near the south end of the island. A couple of blocks south of them you can find mansions - not McMansions, but actual mansions. And a couple miles north you'll find housing projects and a higher crime rate.

Your best bet would be to contact a local realtor. If you give them your budget and what you're looking for, they'll be able to tell you where to look, and they'll know where crime is a problem and where it's not, where the schools are good and where they are not, etc.

FYI all these places are all closer to PAFB than to Orlando. It's about an hour from here to WDW, and maybe 15 minutes to PAFB. There isn't much between Orlando and I-95, which is pretty close to the coast, except for swamp and ranch land. Although there is one town somewhere along US192 called Harmony. I don't know exactly where it is or much about it, except that it's not in Brevard county, and therefore closer to Orlando than anywhere else mentioned. But you'd be stuck taking US192 to get anywhere, and it's a long ride on a 2-lane road to get to either Brevard or Orlando.

Rabflmom

There really isn't much bertween Patrick and Orlando. Personally I would choose one of the beach towns near Patrick like Cocoa Beach, Indian Harbor Beach , Satellite Beach, South Patrick shores, etc. to be close to work. The drive to Disney is not a bad drive even from South Brevard-about 75 miles. If you are thinking the clubs down town, then Cocoa Beach is probably the best place to commute to the bars-about an an hour drive.

Out on 520 West of Cocoa there are some sub divisions that might be worth looking into, too. Not sure of the names, though. About the only thing out there with the houses is a gas station/convenience store so it would be a drive to get anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom