PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, April 26. A view behind the construction wall at the former Pizza Planet at Muppets Courtyard.

IMG_7731.JPG

roj2323

Not a construction guy, but do the rebar "grates" indicate footings for some new brickwork? They appear to align with the existing arches. A colonnade of some sort?
They are just footings. The size of the anchor plates (silver part wth the bolts) tells me the posts will be about 4 inches square so I wouldn't expect anything too extravagant to be going in this location. Basiclly just a roof structure with brick wrapped columns perhaps.

Rayman

In the Parks
No
Looks like there's also holes cut in the wall for a beam pocket. Looks like further confirming some kind of covered patio thing.

Tom

Beta Return
I wonder if it's going to be an outdoor seating area.

They are just footings. The size of the anchor plates (silver part wth the bolts) tells me the posts will be about 4 inches square so I wouldn't expect anything too extravagant to be going in this location. Basiclly just a roof structure with brick wrapped columns perhaps.

Either a covered outdoor seating area (supported by columns instead of overhead suspension), or a semi-enclosed area like at Via Napoli.

roj2323

Either a covered outdoor seating area (supported by columns instead of overhead suspension), or a semi-enclosed area like at Via Napoli.
I'm thinking they are going to enclose it so they can expand the indoor eating area and reconfigure the cue for ordering. Pizza Planet has had outdoor seating there for years and people always complain about the lack of indoor seating even though there is the HUGE upstairs eating area. It's just one of those weird things you notice when you clean the bathrooms inside Pizza Planet for a couple of years.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm thinking they are going to enclose it so they can expand the indoor eating area and reconfigure the cue for ordering. Pizza Planet has had outdoor seating there for years and people always complain about the lack of indoor seating even though there is the HUGE upstairs eating area. It's just one of those weird things you notice when you clean the bathrooms inside Pizza Planet for a couple of years.

Good point. Central Florida is the last place I want to eat outside (90% of the year). Given the size of the footings, it's reasonable that they will expand the second floor over this area as well. There's no need for that level of structural support for a simple roof. Could be over-designed, with lots of safety factors.

Jones14

The Muppets were given the axe by ABC tonight.
I wonder what this means for the mid-term future of the area! I would think short-term (3-5 years) that Muppets is here to stay, however. It certainly wouldn't be out of line with previous attractions tethered to tv shows (Phineas and Ferb and Kim P come to mind), and I can easily see a blog post about how they said goodbye to tv to "live" in DHS.

YodaMan

Don't know if this was reported, but Muppet Vision is scheduled for an 8-day refurb in August. Honestly probably nothing but routine upkeep, but will be interesting to see if anything is done to revamp the film or the building or anything along those lines to get the attraction ready for the new mini-land.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom