Trip Report Pixiedust & Wanderlust - Solo Trip - August '19 *COMPLETED*

✨Hello and welcome!✨
I just came back from my first solo Disney adventure and wanted to share a little bit of my trip with you, my Disney friends.

This is only my second Trip Report, and it's still intimidating, specially when there are many great Trip Reports going on right now! I had the pleasure of meeting some of my most admired Trip Reporters on this trip, and let me tell you: All of them are as kind and fun as you would imagine! 😊

The When:
August 19 - August 27

The Where:
Pop Century Resort

The Why:
I've always wondered about Solo Trips to WDW. I've had the opportunity to visit with DH Frank 2 or 3 times a year for about 20 years now and on occasion, with other family members too.

Just about a month before my trip, Frank and I became empty nesters, our JC got his own place, and even though we are very proud of him and happy, I got nostalgic too. I guess Frank noticed, so he suggested that a visit to our favorite place, would be a good thing for me at this time. How could I say "no", right? :joyfull:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I have to warn y'all, one of the many rookie reporter mistakes I made (and others to come), is that I wish I'd taken notes for each day, I didn't! So I'll have to rely on my pictures and my sometimes lacking memory.

This is me at The Flower and Garden Festival, last April/May.

20190511_000509.jpg

Thank you for being here!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
Prologue

Before I begin sharing my experience and some photos of my visit to Galaxy's Edge, I'd like to share this with you:

I am a Star Wars fan.
More specifically, of the Original Trilogy.

I watched the prequels but didn't love them and haven't been interested in the more recent movies.

I'm well acquainted with the OT, the planets, ships and characters. I even know the names of many obscure and less-known creatures, aliens, etc. Yep, I guess I used to be a SW geek back then! 🤓
A while ago, Frank and I were founding members of our country's first Star Wars Club. Frank knows a loooot more than me about the whole saga.

Threre was a time when we collected SW figures and memorabilia. Me?, I collected everything Chewbacca, my favorite character! We have kept most of our collections inside marked plastic boxes here at home (we might have to reconsider this in the near future, when retirement comes and we decide to downsize 😄).

So this is where I'm coming from as a Star Wars fan.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
As soon as I entered the tunnel, I was greeted "bright suns!" and given a map of the land. I asked the smiling CM for another one to show Frank and keep as a souvenir.
I liked that it was made specifically for these previews.
20190908_112246.jpg

20190909_194005.jpg

On the back, this:
20190908_112112.jpg

Maps in hand, I paused for a few seconds, thought of Frank, smiled, and actually muttered: "I wish you were here..." (in Spanish) 😊
He was very happy for me being able to attend this event, told me to take it all in, and asked for many pictures.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
Soon after taking a few steps, I began to see all that this land has to offer. The scale of the buildings is impressive, the ships look like they could take-off at any second! Wow!

20190820_144111.jpg

20190820_144154.jpg

20190820_143747.jpg

20190909_113548.jpg

Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder!
20190820_144334.jpg

As I continued to explore at a slow pace, I found Rey standing in front of an X-Wing. Look at her stance, uncanny resemblance, imo.

20190820_170413.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
My eyes were huge, trying to capture everything around me, but I soon remembered that I'd planned to look for MF Smugglers Run and try to ride it early on. So after checking the map, I started walking towards it.

This was my first glimpse of the iconic Millenium Falcon o_O
20190820_145236.jpg

To see it for the first time is a dream come true for any SW fan, I was amazed at how impressive it is. And when Stormtroopers appeared patrolling the area near the ship, it was quite a sight.
20190820_145340.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
The standby wait time was at 30mins. Upon entering the queue, saw Rey doing the walkaround pre-flight check of our ship.
20190910_105810.jpg

A few pictures from inside the queue:
20190820_150556.jpg

20190910_110103.jpg

Views looking out from windows:
20190820_145702.jpg

20190910_110426.jpg

And then, a big space where Hondo Ohnaka explained about our mission. I've heard about him, but honestly, I don't know anything about this character. The movements of this animatronic are smooth and realistic but I remember not liking his voice, I think that it doesn't match his appearance somehow (?).
20190910_110032.jpg

20190910_110333.jpg

Next, the pre-boarding area. Confusing. We were given cards with our assigned positions, but there was not a line, just a bunch of people scattered inside a big room. This room is well themed and I was excited to see the Dejarik board game that Chewie likes to play. I asked a nice person to take a picture for me.
20190820_152213.jpg

I realized that we were being called by our positions, so when they called for "pilots" (me), I joined the rest of the flight crew.

We were taken inside the cockpit, I loved being seated in front, on the left side. My co-pilot was a friendly middle aged man. We both did the best that we could, considering that at times, you have to choose between pushing buttons and maneuvering the throttle or enjoying the views. I liked that it felt like we were really flying the ship. It moved a lot and the sounds just add to the fun.
Friendly guy and I, high-fived at the end of our mission. Fun!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
It was time for some food. I wanted to check Docking Bay 7, long line! and after looking at the menu, nothing from it appealed to me at that time.
Ronto Roasters here I come.
20190820_144246.jpg

20190820_155417.jpg

There are only two entrees to choose from, one of them caught my eye. I ordered a Ronto Wrap and a Sour Sarlacc beverage.
While waiting for my order, I noticed that there weren't any tables available, everything was taken. On my way in, saw a few outdoor tables, maybe I'll get one. Would've preferred to eat with some a/c because it was very hot and humid.
Got my order and it looked good, but be warned, no plate, just a piece of paper, so trying to hold the wrap and a beverage with no table to go to, was a bit like juggling. There were no outdoor tables available either. 😑

I finally found a few "cargo boxes" outside to sit on under some shade.
20190820_202937.jpg

I liked this. Better than expected, savory and spicy. The sauce makes it a bit difficult to eat without a plate, it drips every time you take a bite.
It's a "Not on a First Date" dish, if you know what I mean! 🤤

I'll definitely get another Sour Sarlacc next time we visit, I really liked it.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
I continued exploring. Went to check the Oga's Cantina situation. In my rush and nervousness in booking my AP Preview, I didn't notice the option to make a reservation. The line was long, maybe next time.
20190909_113648.jpg

Milk Stand
20190820_145019.jpg

Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities
20190824_112553.jpg

Is this Dok-Ondar?
This creature moves and moans while keeping a close eye on paperwork and money, so my guess is that he's the store's owner 😁
20190820_203226.jpg

I liked everything there was to see inside this shop, the walls are covered with all kinds of SW oddities that I recognized from the OT.
20190820_154304.jpg

20190909_114618.jpg

20190820_154558.jpg

20190820_154048.jpg

Found myself peeking inside Savi's and Droid Depot.

R2-D2. Everybody wanted a picture with him, so taking this picture wasn't easy!
20190820_202851.jpg

At this point I began to worry. All that Frank wanted me to get for him from this trip was a Galaxy's Edge Opening Year t-shirt. I'd looked everywhere and apparently, they were selling out fast, to make matters worse, the few that I saw were not his Medium size!

It was time to check inside The Market, maybe I'll have better luck in there.
20190910_110959.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
Let me digress just a bit.

When I finally sat down to enjoy my wrap and drink, I started to feel a burning nagging pain under my left foot, I had walked a lot so I didn't pay too much attention to it. But when I started walking towards The Market it began to hurt a tad more. I was wearing a new pair of walking sandals and had tried to break them in back home. The thing is that I don't walk as much as I do at the parks, add to that how hot and sweaty I was.
I wasn't ready to let this ruin my day at Galaxy's Edge, so I continued with my explorations and quest for Frank's t-shirt.

The 4 shops at The Market are open-air style, colorful and resemble the ones at a Moroccan market. I soon noticed one, Black Spire Outfitters, that had a few t-shirts on display.

Bingo!

There were only 2 Mediums, so I grabbed one immediately. I also got one for me with a different design so that we can both wear them next December. I also got him a nice sturdy keychain.
20190910_175710.jpg

He must have liked this too, because as soon as he got it, he started using it! 😊
20190910_142757.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
Feeling relieved and clutching my finds, I went looking for "someone" I wanted to see...

Dianoga. I know, geeky. 🤓

I've learned that he/it could be seen appearing near the Market's restrooms' drinking fountain, inside a tube just above it. The backstory is that this creature lives inside the land's plumbing and emerges from time to time.

I guess not many know about this feature. When people saw me waiting with my phone directed towards the drinking fountain, a small crowd gathered, curious to see what what's going on. 😄

Then some gurgling sounds and bubbles inside one of the tubes... there it is!
20190820_202553.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
At some point I saw what I think is the Rise of the Resistance entrance (try saying that 3 times! 😜) opening next December.
20190820_143755.jpg

Then I remembered MFSR having a single rider line so I went back for another round.
Waited around 20mins, I was assigned Engineer.
20190821_200808.jpg

I was so glad to have been assigned Pilot on my first ride. Second time was definitely less enjoyable than the first, pilots were a woman who was screaming her lungs out and a teenager who screamed and cursed the whole time.

As you'd expect, the views and experience are somewhat less thrilling if you're not Pilot, imo.

Time for me to leave Batuu.

I didn't think I was going to spend almost 4 hours in there, but I did. I had a great time! There were quite a few elements I didn't recognize but all and all, you dont have to know it all about the SW Universe to enjoy yourself at GE.

I took so many pictures at GE! But I figure, you've seen plenty around at this point.

Until next time Star Wars Galaxy's Edge!
20190820_145436.jpg

Bright Suns!

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
After a very enjoyable first visit to GE, it was time for my last FP for the day, so on to Toy Story Land. My foot was still bothering me but I wanted to do Toy Story Mania. It was fun, but I'd rather ride with Frank, how else am I going to get the rush of trying to (and sometimes 🤭) beat him?

It was time to say goodbye to DHS. But just before leaving, I got a crave for some ice cream, so back to Sunset Blvd for Hollywood Scoops. From the moment I approached the window I noticed the CM girl had a suspicious smile while taking my order... and when she handed my sundae she finally asked "Did you have fun at TSM?"
I was surprised! How did she know?
Then pointing at my neck she said, "you still have the glasses with you!" I totally forgot to put them in the bin when I exited the ride! 🤦‍♀️ We both laughed! I was not going back, so I apologized and left yellow glasses with her.

As you can see it was still hot, this is my Apple Pie Sundae 15 seconds after getting it:
20190823_230233.jpg

By the time I got to Pop, I was limping, when I entered the room, I took my shoes off and dared to look at my foot. Huge quarter size blister! I'll spare you the details, let's just say that I had to take care of it the best I could. Hint: 🧷😣

I noticed a message blinking on the room's phone. It was an apology for the mattress incident and to inform me that...
old mattress has been replaced with a brand-spanking-new one!
Yes!!!

Coffee, shower, bed.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd like to apologize in advance for the lack of pictures. I didn't plan on doing a Trip Report. Hope you understand!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 3 - EPCOT

My favorite Disney park!

As soon as I entered, I went into Spaceship Earth, I'll really miss this version, btw. I hope they'll do it justice with the upcoming extensive refurb.

Next Guest Services, I've been trying to get a dining reservation for one of my favorite restaurants with no success. Maybe they can help? No luck, but was told that the podium opens at 4pm, maybe try as a walk-in? I will.

Then Nemo and Soarin, both with short waits.

Lunch at Electric Umbrella, Brisket with Beer Cheese Sandwich, delicious!

Coffee at DVC Members Lounge and next, World Showcase starting with Mexico.
I liked how peaceful and spacious it felt without any Festival going on at that time. When we go, there's always something going on, so even though we enjoy these events, I was reminded of our first visits.
I took my time exploring every pavillion.

At 3:30pm it was time to start my short treck thru the International Gateway towards Beach Club. Any guesses?
20190910_220312.jpg

Turns out the podium opens at 5, so I waited an hour to know if I was getting a table. In the meantime, I explored both Beach and Yacht Club.
Finally someone appeared at the podium. A couple of taps on the tablet and...
20190821_170047.jpg

20190821_170438.jpg

20190821_173033.jpg

The food was as delicious as always! Everything here is so well made and fresh.
My waiter was very friendly and loved the fact of me being on a WDW solo trip. When I went to look for desserts, he left me a small gift, a friend to keep me company, he said. So sweet! :inlove:

Mini Key Lime Tart and one of my favorite desserts in the "World": these Flourless Chocolate mini cakes, the best!
20190821_211446.jpg

This meal was definitely worth the wait, I'm so glad I took the chance.

Time to get back to EPCOT for the only FP I'd booked for today.
20190821_191626.jpg

First row all to myself? Heck yeah!
20190912_155236.jpg

A stop at Mouse Gear is a must for us. I always spend too much time in there, there's always something catching my eye, and this time was no different.

I ended my day enjoying The Fountain of Nations, I'll miss it. So many good memories. 😌
20190912_155305.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom