Trip Report Pixiedust & Wanderlust - Solo Trip - August '19 *COMPLETED*

✨Hello and welcome!✨
I just came back from my first solo Disney adventure and wanted to share a little bit of my trip with you, my Disney friends.

This is only my second Trip Report, and it's still intimidating, specially when there are many great Trip Reports going on right now! I had the pleasure of meeting some of my most admired Trip Reporters on this trip, and let me tell you: All of them are as kind and fun as you would imagine! 😊

The When:
August 19 - August 27

The Where:
Pop Century Resort

The Why:
I've always wondered about Solo Trips to WDW. I've had the opportunity to visit with DH Frank 2 or 3 times a year for about 20 years now and on occasion, with other family members too.

Just about a month before my trip, Frank and I became empty nesters, our JC got his own place, and even though we are very proud of him and happy, I got nostalgic too. I guess Frank noticed, so he suggested that a visit to our favorite place, would be a good thing for me at this time. How could I say "no", right? :joyfull:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I have to warn y'all, one of the many rookie reporter mistakes I made (and others to come), is that I wish I'd taken notes for each day, I didn't! So I'll have to rely on my pictures and my sometimes lacking memory.

This is me at The Flower and Garden Festival, last April/May.

20190511_000509.jpg

Thank you for being here!

Minnesota disney fan

I believe I have read your senior articles on that site. You are a natural and I encourage you to write more here!! :happy:

Thanks so much! I have no writing training, but thought that was an area overlooked by most Disney sites. There are a lot of us "seniors" out there who love Disney and go often as we can! I will try to write a TR one day....

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
After my failed hunt for comfortable sandals, I got myself a much needed Cold Brew at Starbucks, found a bench and people watched for a few minutes. Afterwards, I visited a few of my favorites stores. I was tempted to get new Minnie Ears and many other things, but I managed to restrain myself somehow!

I was getting tired, after all, I'd been awake since 2:30am. I really wanted to have a glass of wine, so I walked towards Wine Bar George and got a nice tall table on the second floor.

20190507_202551.jpg

20190819_195034.jpg

We like this place, the wine list is extensive and there's something for every taste. The service is great too.

I knew what I wanted and ordered a glass of La Perlina. This would be the third time I'd order this sweet(ish) and refreshing Moscatto. I also wanted a Burrata. Frank and I shared one the first time we visited, and I liked it a lot. I took my chance to enjoy one, without having to share, hehe! 😋

20190820_094911.jpg

This mozzarella is the freshest I've ever had at WDW, so good!

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
...oh, and the olive oil on it, was superb too.

It felt different being there all by myself, I wasn't sad, but I thought about Frank and remembered how he told me to enjoy myself. I definitely did! 😊

It was time to call it a day, get back to Pop and rest. As soon as I opened the door to my room, I was pleasantly surprised to find this on the dresser:

20190906_111431.jpg

The envelope and card had my name on it, it was a note welcoming me back, the little bag had 4 chocolates inside. What a nice touch, thank you Pop!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
I felt sleepy but wanted to take a shower, actually, I ended up showering twice every day of my trip. Once in the morning and once before bed, it was so hot!

Took the shower, put on my jammies and was about to brush my teeth... oh, oh...
where's my toothbrush?! Back at home, of course! So there I was, having to change again and hoping that the shop was still open, looked at my phone: 11:48pm, it closes at 12:00! Ended up having to buy a too-hard, too-small and overpriced Disney toothbrush!

I was beat. But I needed to rest, I needed to be ready for a very special next day...

In a Galaxy far, far Away...!

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2

Since Disney eliminated room clocks from nightstands, I make sure to always bring a small alarm clock with me. I didn't set an alarm, I wanted to sleep in. Actually we rarely make plans or book FPs for anytime before noon! 😁

My mattress "acted out" a couple of times in the middle of the night. It felt uneven and lumpy, also heard a couple of boings! every time I moved. Hmmm...
As soon as I woke up, I wanted to see what was wrong, the first thing I noticed was that the mattress was worn out and that there were about 8 metal clamp-like small devices underneath 🤔.
I later learned, that these are called mattress raisers, and are used to prolong the useful life of "less than new" beds!
I considered exchanging mattresses with the murphy bed, but couldn't do it by myself, so called mousekeeping and explained the situation. They told me not to worry, they'll take care of it later on that day.

I woke up starving! I'm a "just coffee in the morning" kinda gal but as soon as I got into the dining hall, I ordered the biggest breakfast available and sat among the chaos, I didn't mind, though, it was quite entertaining, haha!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My mattress "acted out" a couple of times in the middle of the night. It felt uneven and lumpy, also heard a couple of boings! every time I moved. Hmmm...
As soon as I woke up, I wanted to see what was wrong, the first thing I noticed was that the mattress was worn out and that there were about 8 metal clamp-like small devices underneath 🤔.
I later learned, that these are called mattress raisers, and are used to prolong the useful life of "less than new" beds!

Now, that's bizarre!! :jawdrop: Good grief, when the mattress is worn, they should replace it. Period.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
After a very fullfilling breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage, muffin and coffee, I waited for the DHS bus. I'd like to note that the bus service at Pop is very efficient, never waited more than 10mins. for a bus. Cool!

I'm ready to enjoy my first full park day!
20190824_112405.jpg

I always try to take it all in and felt very happy walking on Hollywood Blvd. Got myself a Millenial Pink magic band for our December trip.
20190908_183307.jpg

I didn't get a FP for RnRC, I took advantage of the single rider line, and after a 15min wait, I was speeding on a stretch limo!
20190820_122751.jpg

Crazy fun with a healthy dose of adrenaline!, I quickly took a couple of pictures of the screen at the exit.

This is the first one:
20190820_204146.jpg

On the second one, there was a reflex that made it look like the terrified dude behind me has a beer in his hand! Why do I notice these things?! 😆

20190908_102122.jpg

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Original Poster
It was around 1:30pm.
I'd booked my AP GE's preview from 3 to 7pm.

The fact that I was going to be able to visit Batuu was not planned or expected. I owe it all to these forums, the DHS GE Notification thread made it possible, so again, thank you @wdwmagic !

FP for Star Tours was next, just before entering Galaxy's Edge. This I planned, I felt that it'd put me in the right mood and get me even more excited and pumped up. I was!

At 2:30 pm, I approached the gates to see if I'd be allowed inside a bit earlier. The CM's were being very thorough checking for the required AP, ID and printed confirmation email.
20190820_204024.jpg

I was allowed, I'm going in!
20190820_143359.jpg

20190820_143427.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom