Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Timothy_Q

Call it what you want. Caballeros goes into detail on real Mexican celebrations, dances, etc. Coco is a fantasized take on what Mexican culture believes happens to the dead. And that’s likely why it was received better. It’s more fantasy. People enjoy fantasy. I’m just surprised because usually, the board is against fantasy in World Showcase.
Sounds like you don’t remember Maelstrom.
Lots of fantasy there.

A country’s myths, legends and holidays are as part of their culture as anything else.

Brer Oswald

Sounds like you don’t remember Maelstrom.
Lots of fantasy there.

A country’s myths, legends and holidays are as part of their culture as anything else.
Oh sure. But I’m talking a “Disnefied” take on those myths and legends. “Disney Fantasy” if you would.

What I think it comes down to is that Coco’s element of Mexican culture, the Day of the Dead, is more interesting to people than the displays of Mexican culture shown in Caballeros. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist in both films. Doesn’t mean that either is more deserving in the cultural aspect alone.

The elements of culture don’t translate well to ride format, which is why you have a game of “find Donald” through some pretty sets. You can give it a cheap Coco overlay like they were planning to, but what is that going to do? Change the music and the characters on the screen? At least “ay jalisco no te rajes” is an actual Mexican song.

If I had my way, they’d replace Grand Fiesta with Coco, and Brazil would get an attraction featuring José Carioca and Donald going through the Brazilian parts of 3 Cabs. That was the best part of that film anyways. But as it stands, it’s perfectly fine as is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the biggest issue with putting a relatively major IP in the Mexico ride is that that ride has a tiny queue. The most they could do is a simple overlay, and even that could cause problems if people are really interested in Coco. There's not really room for any long line spilling out of the queue without blocking other parts of the pavilion.
That would be problematic...for sure.

I don’t think coco is a “major” ip at this point...but there is not useful queue for anything other than a non-draw ride

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think the biggest issue with putting a relatively major IP in the Mexico ride is that that ride has a tiny queue. The most they could do is a simple overlay, and even that could cause problems if people are really interested in Coco. There's not really room for any long line spilling out of the queue without blocking other parts of the pavilion.

I thought the initial plan budgeted for an expansion. The issues from my understanding was always an inflated design budget (how grand is this new Gran Fiesta going to be?) and how best to increase/improve capacity*. There's also a point where value-engineering an IP into an attraction is longer justified. With Frozenstrom it was justified because it brought guests to the park. With Coco, I'm not sure TDO sees that same worth and potential. The "Would adding IP truly add anything?" logic. Short-sighted, penny pincher based logic.

Being such an obvious choice for IP integration however, a "Gran Fiesta de Muertos" style ride staring Miguel would definitely be appropriate for the Mexico Pavilion. It should have been greenlit! Period. I'm hopeful they'll reconsider and find a budget that works so we get a good overlay with improved guest capacity and throughput. And while we may joke about Gift Shops at exits... this is one attraction that would heavily benefit from that established standard, IMO. Unfortunately, I suspect nothing will happen until TDO and Imagineering can settle on something both parties are happy with -- a net-gain justifiable improvement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought the initial plan budgeted for an expansion. The issues from my understanding was always an inflated design budget (how grand is this new Gran Fiesta going to be?) and how best to increase/improve capacity*. There's also a point where value-engineering an IP into an attraction is longer justified. With Frozenstrom it was justified because it brought guests to the park. With Coco, I'm not sure TDO sees that same worth and potential. The "Would adding IP truly add anything?" logic. Short-sighted, penny pincher based logic.

Being such an obvious choice for IP integration however, a "Gran Fiesta de Muertos" style ride staring Miguel would definitely be appropriate for the Mexico Pavilion. It should have been greenlit! Period. I'm hopeful they'll reconsider and find a budget that works so we get a good overlay with improved guest capacity and throughput. And while we may joke about Gift Shops at exits... this is one attraction that would heavily benefit from that established standard, IMO. Unfortunately, I suspect nothing will happen until TDO and Imagineering can settle on something both parties are happy with -- a net-gain justifiable improvement.
I’m guessing nothing would ever happen because it does not a think for Bob’s 1.6 million retirement stock options...but I tend to be pragmatic 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They would have to knock out all of those shops to be able to handle the crowds for the newest favor of the month. I would like to see added capacity instead of staying even.
I don’t know how much stuff it would sell? Making it a questionable park fit.

How much longterm appeal can we expect from a movie about dead relatives? Even IF it does focus on a key demographic...

aladdin2007

They would have to knock out all of those shops to be able to handle the crowds for the newest favor of the month. I would like to see added capacity instead of staying even.

or knock out the restaurant and thats not going to happen. Although it would not surprise me, nothing they do surprises me anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom