Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

TeriofTerror

Let's hug it out, bro! đŸ€—
Also (and it's undoubtedly the wine talking), I cannot fathom getting really upset over anything anyone posts here, even if they call me out over getting something wrong. You're obviously all Disney fans, so how can I not love you?! And if I screw something up and you call me on it, that's on me, not you.
So disagree with me, argue with me, debate over minutiae. It's quite literally why I'm here! 😄

mikejs78

Premium Member
Just checking: You know that "Copacabana" is proper name, not a phrase, right? ;) You know that creative wordplay sometimes involves rhymes, mispellings, or soundslikes, right? ;) You know that no one likes a joke-killing know-it-all, right? ;););););)
Don't mess with the Penguin.

TimeDuck

The big Fiesta plan is dead in the water. Pun intended.

A simple overlay may happen but not currently.

That's a real shame as the concept was really sound. Is this indicative of a shift to a different project in the park? Or is the idea just dead without a immediate "replacement", planning/budget-wise.

Sir_Cliff

@marni1971 does this mean UK ride is a go then? I know at one time you mentioned that the money to do this was in question vs. UK ride. Does that mean they are going to do UK then?
That's another part of this decision I don't entirely get. If I remember correctly, the latest rumour was that the UK ride had been scaled down substantially from the more ambitious dark ride proposal.

Anyway, I think this meme sums up a more discerning approach to the use of IP in World Showcase...

DPsrLG4X4AA8m8X.jpg

mgf

Does anyone know what the very obvious and oddly well marked hoist infrastructure in the first big room is for? I don't remember seeing it last year and don't know that I have seen it discussed here.

Attachments

• 1853317A-905A-4C20-8DAB-E7455EB3BB29.jpeg
    1853317A-905A-4C20-8DAB-E7455EB3BB29.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 151

peter11435

Does anyone know what the very obvious and oddly well marked hoist infrastructure in the first big room is for? I don't remember seeing it last year and don't know that I have seen it discussed here.
Fall protection so maintenance can work on show elements and infrastructure while following new safety guidelines.

You may remember the figures playing the xylophone in that room were not functioning for well over a year. This was the result of there being no way to work on the figures following updated safety guidelines. This hoist has corrected that challenge and the figures are now working properly.

This is all part of a much larger project that has seen changes all across the property and in California. Most noticeable along rooftops.

trainplane3

Fall protection so maintenance can work on show elements and infrastructure while following new safety guidelines.

You may remember the figures playing the xylophone in that room were not functioning for well over a year. This was the result of there being no way to work on the figures following updated safety guidelines. This hoist has corrected that challenge and the figures are now working properly.

This is all part of a much larger project that has seen changes all across the property and in California. Most noticeable along rooftops.
I still remember when some were freaking out over SM getting a third ring:
IMG_2018.jpg

Kman101

It's frustrating how Disney will jump at the chance to shoehorn something where it doesn't belong but with something as logical as Coco and the Mexico pavilion they're being very careful and cautious.

LOL, right? I know people are likely OK with it because it was the dreaded "overlay" but I think it's a total wasted opportunity especially when they're so quick to shoehorn things in.

But I don't make the decisions, so ... lol

As long as the money goes elsewhere, I can support the idea that now isn't the right time. I agree there are many other pressing things but it's just a very logical overlay. So of course it doesn't happen ...

Sir_Cliff

LOL, right? I know people are likely OK with it because it was the dreaded "overlay" but I think it's a total wasted opportunity especially when they're so quick to shoehorn things in.

But I don't make the decisions, so ... lol

As long as the money goes elsewhere, I can support the idea that now isn't the right time. I agree there are many other pressing things but it's just a very logical overlay. So of course it doesn't happen ...
Perhaps this decision is partly due to how massive Disney has become over the past few decades.

While I am in favour of this project, I can imagine that it's hard to get a Coco overlay to make sense in terms of ROI calculations considering how much WDI projects cost these days. There is also probably a feeling that they have milked Coco for revenue as much as they can and are interested to milk it. Disney just has so many franchises to promote these days that they seem to pick a few winners to pound us over the heads with merchandise and theme park attractions, while letting everything else fade away. Hard to imagine a box office disappointment like Alice in Wonderland getting one let alone two attractions in the same park in 2018!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps this decision is partly due to how massive Disney has become over the past few decades.

While I am in favour of this project, I can imagine that it's hard to get a Coco overlay to make sense in terms of ROI calculations considering how much WDI projects cost these days. There is also probably a feeling that they have milked Coco for revenue as much as they can and are interested to milk it. Disney just has so many franchises to promote these days that they seem to pick a few winners to pound us over the heads with merchandise and theme park attractions, while letting everything else fade away. Hard to imagine a box office disappointment like Alice in Wonderland getting one let alone two attractions in the same park in 2018!

Great post...ROI is a big factor.

What is not a big factor is this completely outdated myth that the Disney board is itching to spend regular money on “something”. Walt is long dead...any semblance of that kinda mindset died decades ago...

So “well This isn’t happening...so does that mean ____ is?” Is a pleasant thought but doesn’t consider the more likely scenario that nothing is happening instead. Capex is for immediate gain or to try to cutoff competitive vulnerabilities. In short: universal is our biggest “friend”.

Spending money without guaranteed gain doesn’t get past go anymore. I think coco has limited ancillary Income and longterm appeal potential...and that’s why this never really seemed a reasonable possibility.

...just an opinion.

Kman101

Great post...ROI is a big factor.

What is not a big factor is this completely outdated myth that the Disney board is itching to spend regular money on “something”. Walt is long dead...any semblance of that kinda mindset died decades ago...

So “well This isn’t happening...so does that mean ____ is?” Is a pleasant thought but doesn’t consider the more likely scenario that nothing is happening instead. Capex is for immediate gain or to try to cutoff competitive vulnerabilities. In short: universal is our biggest “friend”.

Spending money without guaranteed gain doesn’t get past go anymore. I think coco has limited ancillary Income and longterm appeal potential...and that’s why this never really seemed a reasonable possibility.

...just an opinion.

I haven't seen anyone come out and say the money will indeed be used elsewhere (and I very much could have missed that; so much is up in the air and it's honestly hard to keep track of what they decide to do every day). So ... seems like a lot of big ideas that they just refuse to pay for. I get the ROI. But maybe if they built a great ride, people would, you know, buy the merchandise. But I understand companies are scared and risk adverse, nothing new here lol.

Kman101

I think they also struggle to promote things they can't shoehorn into groups, like "Disney Pets" (Animals? Tails? What is it?) "Disney Villains" "Disney Princesses" "Disney/Marvel Super Heroes" etc. They try with "Disney/Pixar" but I think they struggle with things like Coco and Inside Out. Both could be used as IPs that actually could work in Epcot, but heaven forbid ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom