Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Princess Leia

Still think we should have got the Secret Lab Coaster...
EmperorsNewGrooveRide.gif
I literally just bought a shirt with this on it, and would have loved to wear it next to a themed ride :p
FEE8D164-CD3C-4B4C-89BE-6D206D9B9788.jpeg

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
And let's ALSO not forget that some Oscar Winning movies don't even have rides......
backdrop.jpg
7164053d221a33eaf6a175b96814f8a2fae09459v2_00.jpg
Eh, Coco was by far the better film when compared to the two above. Zootopia was also great, but it wouldn't really fit anywhere unless they have some serious cash for HWS, but it's a catch 22 as they don't want to spend money, but they only want to build IPs. Honestly, since they like IPs so much I'm surprised Big Hero 6 has not been used yet for EPCOT as it would fit pretty well if used properly, but it's not exactly as unique as the other two. The best movies don't always translate to the best rides/attractions.

Brave was coming in just below that Coco figure.

Unrelated, but the spine project has slipped to 2023.

The company's false choice...I mean, decision to go "either or" in this case is disappointing. However, it's particularly disappointing if the Coco project's tabling doesn't positively impact the Poppins project's budget (or something else in the park). Assuming the Poppins project's budget is on par with the Brave project's budget, should we be concerned about Poppins' quality given it will be a "new build" for less than the budget of an overlay (Coco $75m)?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The company's false choice...I mean, decision to go "either or" in this case is disappointing. However, it's particularly disappointing if the Coco project's tabling doesn't positively impact the Poppins project's budget (or something else in the park). Assuming the Poppins project's budget is on par with the Brave project's budget, should we be concerned about Poppins' quality given it will be a "new build" for less than the budget of an overlay (Coco $75m)?

Uh...huh...so what are you trying to say?

Cmdr_Crimson

Eh, Coco was by far the better film when compared to the two above. Zootopia was also great, but it wouldn't really fit anywhere unless they have some serious cash for HWS
Animal Kingdom would be the better answer..The area between Conservation station and asia is big enough for a Zootopia section at AK the train would help serve for the story as you head into Zootopia...

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom would be the better answer..The area between Conservation station and asia is big enough for a Zootopia section at AK the train would help serve for the story as you head into Zootopia...
Take a jab at this:
The sky is falling! The sky is not falling! Both are obviously not equal. There is a correct statement; a better one like many things in life.

Zootopia does not fit in Animal Kingdom at all. The park is about man’s relationship with nature and broadly ‘conservation’. Animals are part of nature, but they are not the only thing the park is about (meaning the IP can’t just have animals!), nor is it a justification to add an attraction say like Splash Mountain over because it has animals.

All man-made buildings in the park are overruled by nature. Nature wins. Allegory or not, Zootopia is a movie where animals act as people in a big city. The movie does not sell you on an actual place that could exist in our world like Avatar did, and does not fit in the realistic AK. Style is yet another reason it has no place there (the city clashing with the trees and nature look of the park).

Pandora, contrary to what some people say, fits exceptionally well at the park. Honestly, better than any modern IP land in my opinion. Harry Potter (like the entire IOA) has no relation to the other lands, Star Wars will feel the same way, but Cars Land like Pandora to AK visually fits California, and therefor California Adventure.

The only park Zootopia can remotely even fit inside is Hollywood Studios, but even then the main part about Zootopia are the animals. Sure there are different ecosystems, but the lack of actual animals for something that looks like a city (albeit with some minor differences) could stand a problem, but in HWS it could work better since there is more leeway. How will the land look? Will people magically transform into furry critters? It doesn’t really affect Toontown, but Zootopia is more about the animals than Toontown is, especially to justify it properly fitting in AK. Yet it still feels like something is off in Toontown. The world of Zootopia itself is better for a ride than an entire land unless they can do it because they have a great idea, and not just because they have to base it on a movie like has been happening a lot recently.

Hollywood Studios is a dumping ground for IP, and in my mind that’s fine for a Hollywood-style park, but the park will never have harmony like Tokyo DisneySea, or even what EPCOT and AK have. Zootopia will throw that off at AK, and it would be a real shame.

Sure, it’s my opinion, and everyone should voice theirs, but typically there is a better choice. To me it’s a no brainer: Animal Kingdom is not the right park for anything Zootopia if what we get is the city.

If you don’t care about theming, themes, and storytelling then carry on, but if you do, I challenge everyone who disagrees with me and others to at least reconsider your opinion. The best theme parks successfully transport you to different locations and worlds; the absolute best visually work together from everywhere or nearly everywhere, and they are not self-aware. That’s why Marvel’s rides (Iron Man & GOTG) being located literally at the park and not in the place the park is trying to transport you to feels off, and also why Pixar Pier is such a travesty.
I don’t expect Zootopia to be self-aware like that, but in relation to the rest of the park it won’t fit at all visually as far as storytelling is concerned. Honestly, Star Wars Land at Disneyland will in my mind feel more right at home since it’s basically it’s own genre akin to the other lands in a way. The same cannot be said for Zootopia and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Also, here's a better place for this discussion: Zootopia Thread.

Sir_Cliff

I seem to be the only person on here rooting for a Coco attraction in Mexico over Poppins in the UK pavilion. Coco is such a no brainer and I think they could do a really beautiful attraction with it that would take the whole pavilion to the next level and actually add something to its representation of the national culture. I'm sure a Poppins dark ride would be cute, but I'm having trouble imagining it will be anything to write home about given the budget and space they're supposedly working with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I seem to be the only person on here rooting for a Coco attraction in Mexico over Poppins in the UK pavilion. Coco is such a no brainer and I think they could do a really beautiful attraction with it that would take the whole pavilion to the next level and actually add something to its representation of the national culture. I'm sure a Poppins dark ride would be cute, but I'm having trouble imagining it will be anything to write home about given the budget and space they're supposedly working with.

Coco is not a “no brainer” for a ride. It’s a good movie that had moderate box office success by today’s metrics. And it is important for an important demographic. No arguments at all.

But how many movies get rides?? Hardly any. And the ones that do are older and have shown a certain quality that they will become timeless in some sort of fashion and provide name or brand recognition.

That isn’t coco. Not now...

So while it may seem “no brainer”, objectively its closer to the opposite.

Haymarket2008

If anything the Coco ride would be restrained by lack of space and the budget isn’t that high. Insiders have said that the plans are not extravagant at all. Poppins would be a brand new build specifically for the attraction. Coco would be an overlay in a smaller scale 1982 show building.

Sir_Cliff

Coco is not a “no brainer” for a ride. It’s a good movie that had moderate box office success by today’s metrics. And it is important for an important demographic. No arguments at all.
A no brainer for the Mexico pavilion. They have an IP that has been taken to heart by the country as a representation of their culture. I am in Mexico City at the moment and was noticing many counterfeit Coco t-shirts strolling through the Bosque de Chapultepec this morning. Coco also seems to be one of the more common piñata themes in the markets here... which is a complement.

If anything the Coco ride would be restrained by lack of space and the budget isn’t that high. Insiders have said that the plans are not extravagant at all. Poppins would be a brand new build specifically for the attraction. Coco would be an overlay in a smaller scale 1982 show building.
Would the Poppins attraction really be bigger than the current Three Caballeros ride? They don't seem to have that much space to play with and all the rumours we've heard seem to suggest this would have a budget comparable (if not less) than the Coco overlay and be a Fantasyland-style dark ride which, IMO, is already a notch below what Mexico already has.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

This whole conversation reminds me of when we were talking about either the BatB ride or Rat for France a few years ago. I just wish they would choose (hopefully the Poppins project) and announce it. Seems to be so much uncertainty around the next WS projects.
It wasn’t even a few years ago... It was still happening in 2017!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So let me get this straight, Disney is torn between Coco in Mexico and Mary Poppins in UK. Poppins seems to be the leader, but still not 100 percent happening? Are they still trying to figure out budgets to see if Poppins is viable? And whats this Brave project people keep mentioning in this thread?
Brave was the original IP of the UK project.

DisneyFan18

Something I wanted to point out is that on the past Sunday, the Teen Choice Awards happened, and Coco got two wins out of three nominations, the two wins were in the two categories it was nominated, and in both categories Coco won against Star Wars, I know that SW:TLJ isn’t exactly popular within the fans of Star Wars, nevertheless, I think it’s important to note that there were more people that voted and supported Coco (Bet Fantasy Movie, and Best Fantasy Actor (Anthony Gonzales the voice of Miguel), than Star Wars in this awards ceremony, which in my opinion speaks volume about the IP’s popularity!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A no brainer for the Mexico pavilion. They have an IP that has been taken to heart by the country as a representation of their culture. I am in Mexico City at the moment and was noticing many counterfeit Coco t-shirts strolling through the Bosque de Chapultepec this morning. Coco also seems to be one of the more common piñata themes in the markets here... which is a complement.
Are the people wearing those T-shirts holding out on going to Epcot because of no coco?

If “yes”...then you have a better argument of need. But that’s not the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom