Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just remember folks...Not all Award Winner's get attractions....Just a M&G and Being "Flavor's of the Month" in a Street Party...
Big-Hero-6.jpeg
movie_poster_zootopia_866a1bf2.jpeg

Also, it can take years from a movie release for the IP to be parkified...

1519026787134.png

disneygeek90

Also, it can take years from a movie release for the IP to be parkified...

View attachment 265282
I was just at Bugs Life on Saturday and was wondering when it was opened vs the release of the movie, I knew they should have been very close in time. Cool! I guess it was the perfect storm for a new park, a new Pixar movie and a great theme for something under a tree.

Also, did I miss Coco news, has there been an official release or still rumors?

Sir_Cliff

I was just at Bugs Life on Saturday and was wondering when it was opened vs the release of the movie, I knew they should have been very close in time. Cool! I guess it was the perfect storm for a new park, a new Pixar movie and a great theme for something under a tree.

Also, did I miss Coco news, has there been an official release or still rumors?
I guess we don't know anything for sure, but I get the impression from the silence of @marni1971 and some posts that it's pretty much dead, so to speak.

Otterhead

Just a M&G and Being "Flavor's of the Month" in a Street Party...
Their treatment of Zootopia still baffles me. Award-winning billion-dollar film, and you will not find one piece of merchandise in any American Disney park. Not one T-shirt, doll, toy, or mug. The characters don't do any meet-and-greets, just wave in a single parade. Zero plans for any attractions. No active sequel plans.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Their treatment of Zootopia still baffles me. Award-winning billion-dollar film, and you will not find one piece of merchandise in any American Disney park. Not one T-shirt, doll, toy, or mug. The characters don't do any meet-and-greets, just wave in a single parade. Zero plans for any attractions. No active sequel plans.

Because... maybe... despite a good box office take, it's really not that popular? :cautious:

Otterhead

Because... maybe... despite a good box office take, it's really not that popular?
On the contrary, it's super popular. I saw homemade Zootopia shirts all over the park (since Disney didn't make any), and people cheering and freaking out when Nick Wilde went by in the parade. The DVD/Blu-Ray sold like crazy. It's one of their most popular films of the last ten years. But you wouldn't know it from merchandise sales (since there aren't any to purchase).

Sir_Cliff

I’ve had no confirmation but given the silence and an unrelated discussion about capex recently it doesn’t look as certain as it did last year.
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

On the contrary, it's super popular. I saw homemade Zootopia shirts all over the park (since Disney didn't make any), and people cheering and freaking out when Nick Wilde went by in the parade. The DVD/Blu-Ray sold like crazy. It's one of their most popular films of the last ten years. But you wouldn't know it from merchandise sales (since there aren't any to purchase).
The way Disney has treated Zootopia is very strange. Great reviews, huge box office (worldwide it's the 30th highest-grossing film of all time), and almost completely ignored by Disney. I wonder whether Disney has grown so large and acquired so many properties that they just pick a few "winners" in terms of merchandising and park attractions (e.g. Frozen, Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel, Cars) and let everything else come and go from the cinemas with minimal fuss unless they spark a Frozen-level craze.

Otterhead

I wonder whether Disney has grown so large and acquired so many properties that they just pick a few "winners" in terms of merchandising and park attractions (e.g. Frozen, Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel, Cars) and let everything else come and go from the cinemas with minimal fuss unless they spark a Frozen-level craze.
That's honestly what I think -- that they try to focus on specific big-hit genres: right now it's Frozen for girls, Cars/Marvel for boys, Star Wars for teens/adults. Zootopia was a huge hit but I suppose it's harder to pigeonhole who its merch would be aimed at. There's virtually nothing for Wreck-It Ralph, either, and it was popular enough to get a sequel this year.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

DVD/BluRay sales are almost the same as with 'Big Hero 6', released in 2014, and slight lower than 'Moana', released the same year.

Disney excels at merchandising. If there was demand for 'Zootopia' merchandise, they'd make it. Or... maybe there was merchandise around the time the movie was released and it stunk up store shelves. It's box office was 2/3 overseas, maybe that's where the demand and merchandise are?

We really liked BH6, Wreck-It Ralph, Moana, etc. But in my family of Disney freaks (DVC owners, literally more WDW trips than I can remember, one amazing trip to DL, WDW AP holders on multiple occasions [3 of the 6 in our family have current APs], we've see all the movies when they come out for the past 20 years, and we used to reserve the VHS and DVD movies for the exclusive lithographs back in the day... still have them all), 'Zootopia' is an after-thought. It was almost literally a one-and-done for everyone, my daughter being the exception, she watched it once or twice on Netflix after it was released. For whatever reason, it didn't resonate outside the box office like 'Frozen', 'Big Hero 6', and 'Moana' did with audiences. I don't really know why. I do know that it ranks down with 'The Good Dinosaur' in my house, where we won't even turn it on if we see it on a Starz movie channel. *shrug* YMMV.

Magenta Panther

The way Disney has treated Zootopia is very strange. Great reviews, huge box office (worldwide it's the 30th highest-grossing film of all time), and almost completely ignored by Disney. I wonder whether Disney has grown so large and acquired so many properties that they just pick a few "winners" in terms of merchandising and park attractions (e.g. Frozen, Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel, Cars) and let everything else come and go from the cinemas with minimal fuss unless they spark a Frozen-level craze.

I'm beginning to wonder if Iger's got a thing against merchandising anything that's not attached to any of his acquisitions. His merch pirates were pretty slow to move on Frozen, after all. It finally got a reluctant little ride shoehorned into a tiny dark ride in Norway. But BOY, Star Wars gets its own LAND and HOTEL. But hey, at least Tangled got a bathroom!

Once again, I'm convinced that, aside from the profits it can generate, Iger doesn't really get or like Disney.

bcoachable

I'm beginning to wonder if Iger's got a thing against merchandising anything that's not attached to any of his acquisitions. His merch pirates were pretty slow to move on Frozen, after all. It finally got a reluctant little ride shoehorned into a tiny dark ride in Norway. But BOY, Star Wars gets its own LAND and HOTEL. But hey, at least Tangled got a bathroom!

Once again, I'm convinced that, aside from the profits it can generate, Iger doesn't really get or like Disney.
Thats an interesting angle.

DisneyFan18

DVD/BluRay sales are almost the same as with 'Big Hero 6', released in 2014, and slight lower than 'Moana', released the same year.

Disney excels at merchandising. If there was demand for 'Zootopia' merchandise, they'd make it. Or... maybe there was merchandise around the time the movie was released and it stunk up store shelves. It's box office was 2/3 overseas, maybe that's where the demand and merchandise are?

We really liked BH6, Wreck-It Ralph, Moana, etc. But in my family of Disney freaks (DVC owners, literally more WDW trips than I can remember, one amazing trip to DL, WDW AP holders on multiple occasions [3 of the 6 in our family have current APs], we've see all the movies when they come out for the past 20 years, and we used to reserve the VHS and DVD movies for the exclusive lithographs back in the day... still have them all), 'Zootopia' is an after-thought. It was almost literally a one-and-done for everyone, my daughter being the exception, she watched it once or twice on Netflix after it was released. For whatever reason, it didn't resonate outside the box office like 'Frozen', 'Big Hero 6', and 'Moana' did with audiences. I don't really know why. I do know that it ranks down with 'The Good Dinosaur' in my house, where we won't even turn it on if we see it on a Starz movie channel. *shrug* YMMV.
If you wouldn't mind, I would like to know what's your & your family's opinion on Coco? :)

HauntedMansionFLA

People have brought up Zootopia too. Interesting thought

brb1006

Just remember folks...Not all Award Winner's get attractions....Just a M&G and Being "Flavor's of the Month" in a Street Party...
Big-Hero-6.jpeg
movie_poster_zootopia_866a1bf2.jpeg
It's not far that Judy and Nick are only meetable at DCA. While they only shown up at the Easter pre-parade last year and Move It Shake It. They were meetable at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party since 2016 but that's only for people who ordered tickets to be there.

Last edited:

brb1006

I remember when Zootopia came out. It sold alot of merchandise from Disney Stores while there's barely any at the parks.

brb1006

I remember meet and greets in the early 2000's had a nice blend of meeting old and new characters.

brb1006

That's honestly what I think -- that they try to focus on specific big-hit genres: right now it's Frozen for girls, Cars/Marvel for boys, Star Wars for teens/adults. Zootopia was a huge hit but I suppose it's harder to pigeonhole who its merch would be aimed at. There's virtually nothing for Wreck-It Ralph, either, and it was popular enough to get a sequel this year.
Well there's a room dedicated to Sugar Rush in one of the Disney Cruise ships but that's it. At one point, Ralph was considered the unofficial mascot for Disney Quest for a short time.

Sir_Cliff

The figures on the-numbers.com suggest it sold slightly more than Moana, slightly less than Big Hero 6 and Finding Dory. In any case, it sold well.

Everyone I know who has seen it liked it, but that doesn't really say much more about the popularity of the film than how your family felt about it. In any case, it is weird to see not so much as a meet and greet at WDW for a film that was one of the top 10 highest-grossing films and one of the top five DVD/blu ray sellers in America that year, let alone the rest of the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom