Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Timothy_Q

At the moment it’s Windows on the World.

Much prefer Skydance. Although the RoE replacement is jumping around the calendar so much perhaps the name will change again.
How big of an update will this be?

Will the globe remain? Or get changed for something newer?

If you can say

mikejs78

Premium Member
That was Illuminations 25b. The third version of the show with the same name.

The first time I saw Illuminations was as a child in 1988. (I think it was just called "Illuminations" back then). I was blown away, I had never seen anything like it my entire life. I remember thinking that just a regular wave of pyro during that show would have been the finale of most local 4th of July shows around the country. And add the music, and I was just in awe. I think it was that moment that I fell in love with WDW. Wish I could get a good video of that show....

Here's hoping the next Illuminations incarnation lives up to the history.

aladdin2007

I only hope that whatever comes of IllumiNations, they will still have the pavilions outlined in lights, that is my favorite part and has mesmerized me since childhood. I wish Morocco and Norway could somehow get a light package by now, I know the reasons why they didnt to begin with but I wish they could be incorporated better. (even in general Norway is almost totally dark now at night) it use to look like this pic below, sure doesn't anymore.) And or include some of the original effects they use to have from the prior versions or still do on new years eve. Remember the moulin rouge windmill on top of France? or how Germany turned into a gingerbread castle? and China had a lit moving dragon on top? etc. Those things were basically from the original IllumiNations right Martin?
th

BrianLo

I apologize for being testy, comments that rumours aren't news is similar to "Disney is a business". Needlessly shutting down conversation and miss the point.

...they have a "life cycle" that flashes and then they fall back in line with movies like Tarzan or Mulan...liked and recognized but not themepark IP.

Both of which just got semi-major or major installations in 2016 (Shanghai).

I understand your point that previous history needs to be taken into account for why certain projects are or are not likely to happen, but you must also contextualize that post-Eisner history is a decade when they were not rethinking Epcot:

At the Destination D fan event this past weekend, Bob Chapek, the Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, announced that Epcot would be receiving “a major transformation” that would help transition the park into being “more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” while keeping the original vision alive.

Chapek stated that the design team was told to “dream big” with what they wanted to do to third oldest Disney park in the world.

Which IP get used when is sometimes largely a by-product of timing. Tron was built because it was designed and largely budgeted prior to it collapsing at the box office or Disney's acquisition of the much more popular (in China) Marvel studio. For the same reason Coco kind of doesn't matter how it does - because it is coming out at the correct time.

When you have a mandate to make Epcot more Disney, you have an under-attended ride like Gran Fiesta Tour and you have an upcoming film set in Mexico - that's all the math you need to pass your sniff test.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And or include some of the original effects they use to have from the prior versions or still do on new years eve. Remember the moulin rouge windmill on top of France? or how Germany turned into a gingerbread castle? and China had a lit moving dragon on top? etc. Those things were basically from the original IllumiNations right Martin?

Yep. The 1988 show had some amazing visual physical effects. The projection effects on Germany, USA and Canada in particular were very clever. The hydraulic neon on China, France and the UK the same.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yep. The 1988 show had some amazing visual physical effects. The projection effects on Germany, USA and Canada in particular were very clever. The hydraulic neon on China, France and the UK the same.

When did that show debut / end? I was there to see it sometime mid October 1988...

Epcot82Guy

I know I've said it before, I really hope it lives up to the current show. The current show needs tech upgrades no doubt. But, the message, music, story, etc. is easily the best show for the given park they've done IMHO. It's the most "EPCOT" attraction we've ever had. I hope they grow on that vs. something more trite.

trainplane3

I only hope that whatever comes of IllumiNations, they will still have the pavilions outlined in lights, that is my favorite part and has mesmerized me since childhood. I wish Morocco and Norway could somehow get a light package by now, I know the reasons why they didnt to begin with but I wish they could be incorporated better. (even in general Norway is almost totally dark now at night) it use to look like this pic below, sure doesn't anymore.) And or include some of the original effects they use to have from the prior versions or still do on new years eve. Remember the moulin rouge windmill on top of France? or how Germany turned into a gingerbread castle? and China had a lit moving dragon on top? etc. Those things were basically from the original IllumiNations right Martin?
th
I'm pretty sure that Morocco won't ever get a lighting package unless they (the sponsor/country) change their stance on their religion. The Morocco pavilion has a replica of a religious building and that means no decorations thrown on it. That's why they project a light (I believe a red light, if that has any significance) onto it during the show.

And I thought Norway had nothing to "balance" WS during Illuminations.

I'm sure @marni1971 can confirm.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that Morocco won't ever get a lighting package unless they (the sponsor/country) change their stance on their religion. The Morocco pavilion has a replica of a religious building and that means no decorations thrown on it. That's why they project a light (I believe a red light, if that has any significance) onto it during the show.

And I thought Norway had nothing to "balance" WS during Illuminations.

I'm sure @marni1971 can confirm.
Morocco’s religious. Norway was completed after the Illuminations lighting package was installed and never retro fitted.

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

Was this a joke or were you being serious? CoCo is a huge hit!

In regards to capacity fears, didn't an insider mention the line could be rerouted to the one store?
It is not really it's just a hit right now until The last Jedi comes out, then it will go away, and it was not very good, the best part of the whole movie was the Frozen Short, which is gone now, it's really predicatable and they drag it out waay too long, and i'ts anti Christian, I don't want my child thinking dead people go to this other world and wander around as skeletons, this movie indicates there is no heaven.

peter11435

It is not really it's just a hit right now until The last Jedi comes out, then it will go away, and it was not very good, the best part of the whole movie was the Frozen Short, which is gone now, it's really predicatable and they drag it out waay too long, and i'ts anti Christian, I don't want my child thinking dead people go to this other world and wander around as skeletons, this movie indicates there is no heaven.

Wow

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom