Pixar Pier = Bah Humbug!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Interesting thoughts and ideas from Brady MacDonald in how Pixar Pier is being handled this holiday season.

I am going to share the premise, but not his solutions. For that, you can go to the Register or any Southern California News Group website to read them.

>>Nearly every corner of Disney California Adventure brims with holiday decor during the bustling Christmas season with one lone exception: Pixar Pier.

The newly renovated Pixar Pier looks like it does every day of the year during the two-month-long Festival of Holidays celebration at the Anaheim theme park.

A 50-foot-tall Christmas tree provides an exclamation point in Carthay Circle at the end of Buena Vista Street. The automotive residents of Radiator Springs trim Cars Land in their own unique style. Holiday food kiosks line the promenade running in front of the Golden Vine Winery. The wooden bear statues in Grizzly Peak wear ugly Christmas sweaters. Hollywood Land drips with silver and gold tinsel garland. The Mariachi Divas entertain visitors with festive tunes in the Pacific Wharf food court. The Three Caballeros put on “Viva Navidad” in Paradise Gardens Park.

The Pixar characters look their holiday best in the park — just not in Pixar Pier.

The Pixar characters take part in the new Mickey’s Happy Holidays musical cavalcade that makes several stops daily in California Adventure — but not in Pixar Pier. The Pixar characters remove their holiday garb for their meet-and-greet opportunities in the new land.<<

Phroobar

I assume this means we are not getting Life Day at Galaxy's Edge either? Life Day is this Sunday!

latest

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>There is no Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah or Diwali in a galaxy far, far away, but that doesn’t mean Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge can’t get into the holiday spirit like the rest of Disneyland.

A faithful allegiance to the backstory of the Star Wars universe means the new 14-acre Galaxy’s Edge looks like it does every day of the year during the current two-month-long holiday season at the Anaheim theme park. But there’s no reason the Black Spire Outpost village on the Star Wars planet of Batuu can’t celebrate the holidays.

Walt Disney Imagineering and Lucasfilm created the new Star Wars planet specifically for the new lands in Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. The creative team could also just as easily establish new holiday traditions for Black Spire Outpost or adopt seasonal celebrations for Batuu from other planets in the Star Wars galaxy.

So what can Disneyland do to bring more holiday spirit to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge? We’ve got three suggestions for making the season brighter in the new themed land.

1) Life Day

Most Star Wars fans are familiar with Life Day through the delightfully bad 1978 “Star Wars Holiday Special.” Chewbacca and Han Solo spent time with the Wookiee’s family during Life Day on the television show. The new “Mandalorian” series on Disney+ calls out Life Day in the opening episode.

Life Day traces its roots back to the Wookiee planet of Kashyyyk. The holiday celebrates the life-giving and life-affirming powers of the Tree of Life, according to StarWars.com. During the Life Day holiday season, Wookiees dressed in traditional red robes gather around a trimmed tree and exchange gifts with relatives.

The annual celebration is filled with fireworks, festive music and holiday treats like Wookiee-ookiees and Hoth chocolate. Figrin D’an and the Modal Nodes, the alien house band from the Mos Eisley cantina in the original “Star Wars” movie, has been known to play special Life Day concerts.

Life Day would be a natural fit for Galaxy’s Edge. Black Spire Outpost is named for the petrified trees that dot the village. A young tree growing in the middle of the spaceport represents rebirth and new life. It would make perfect sense for Chewie to introduce the Kashyyyk holiday to Batuu.<<

More at the link.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Some critics have called the “Star Wars Holiday Special” the worst two hours in television history. But it also provides a most glorious example of 1970s cheese and might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious productions ever made. All this means that the chances that Disney even would acknowledge the existence of the “Star Wars Holiday Special,” much less create anything within Disneyland themed to it, are so small that not even C-3PO could calculate them.

But I can’t stop smiling at the crazy idea of this happening. Imagine a temporary, holidays-only Tree of Life in the middle of Galaxy’s Edge, with red robed-Wookiees gathered around several times a day singing about the meaning of Life Day. And then imagine the stunned, confused looks of anyone under the age of 45 in the crowd as a few older, Gen-X visitors around them double over in laughter as they get the reference.

Theme parks are always looking for something unique and record-setting to promote: the tallest roller coaster, the largest dark ride, the biggest movie franchise. As much fun as it to look forward to those attractions, I love imagining what it would be like for a park as successful as Disneyland to turn 180 degrees and head in the opposite direction.

Just imagine it – a theme park land based on the world’s worst television special. I think it would be hilarious. Too bad it’ll never happen.<<

Phroobar

The problem is Disney doesn't know that Life Day exists. It's not been brought to their attention like May the 4th or even Gay Days. If they knew about Life Day we would have a special holiday droid just for it and other merch. They would be all over it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just imagine it – a theme park land based on the world’s worst television special. I think it would be hilarious. Too bad it’ll never happen.<<

Life Day could be inspiring one of the Black Spires to have a shoot coming out indicating it's coming back to life. It's a Life Day miracle!!

MoonRakerSCM

Well... I am on my way to the park. I hope they keep their schedule of the procession at 5pm as I want to see it and see normal guests reactions. I got life day dinner reservations at cafe Orleans at 6pm I can't miss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom