Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
PIXAR FEST is upon us, so I thought a new thread where we can post reviews of the new offerings would be worthwhile. Decorations started appearing in the Esplanade and on Main Street today (ugly), and new food and merch offerings will start to pop up over the next few days.

If you're going to be at the resort on Thursday, April 12, be on the lookout for soft opening performances of Pixar Play Parade and Together Forever fireworks at Disneyland, and Paint the Night Parade at DCA.

TP2000

Overall I'm giving this promotion a C+ pre-opening. That grade may improve or worsen a week from now after it actually starts.

I'm willing to give this promotion the benefit of the doubt, as I'm old enough to remember when Disneyland had spring/summer promotions every year in the 1980's and early 90's. Circus Fantasy, State Fair, Main Street Hop, etc. They were all just for four or five months, they were all temporary, and they all looked and acted like it. Some of these promotions worked better than others.

For instance, Captain Zoom and his Amazing Cannon from the 1988 Disneyland State Fair Parade. No, seriously.

2012captzoon2.jpg

2012captzoon1.jpg

But all of the old 1980's promotions had unique parades, special shows, and themed decor packages from the parking lot toll booths right up Main Street to the Castle. Pixar Fest is nothing but a return of 2 old parades (one 3 years old, and one that is 10 years old!). Both of these returning parades have been downgraded from their inaugural formats from 2008 and 2015, with the loss of the Ratatouille float in Pixar Play Parade and the loss of the Frozen float from Paint The Night. Yeah, there's a new Incredibles float coming in 10 weeks, but why isn't it ready for opening night? Really bad planning and managing, obviously.

Pixar Fest just seems cheap and lazy. And the "addition" of themed food as a big selling point for Pixar Fest, all of which looks incredibly gorpy and gimmicky and drenched in fructose corn syrup, is a real turn off for me. Puke.

The reason this whole thing goes from a D+ to a C+ is the creation of a new fireworks show that must only be for this year, and the return of Paint The Night to DCA where I think it's going to work very well and thrive in that park for several decades.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

PIXAR FEST is upon us, so I thought a new thread where we can post reviews of the new offerings would be worthwhile. Decorations started appearing in the Esplanade and on Main Street today (ugly), and new food and merch offerings will start to pop up over the next few days.

If you're going to be at the resort on Thursday, April 12, be on the lookout for soft opening performances of Pixar Play Parade and Together Forever fireworks at Disneyland, and Paint the Night Parade at DCA.

We shall see I guess. Remember Dreams Come True is scheduled Thursday night. No parades scheduled, but guess they could do a surprise performance?

brb1006

Overall I'm giving this promotion a C+ pre-opening. That grade may improve or worsen a week from now after it actually starts.

I'm willing to give this promotion the benefit of the doubt, as I'm old enough to remember when Disneyland had spring/summer promotions every year in the 1980's and early 90's. Circus Fantasy, State Fair, Main Street Hop, etc. They were all just for four or five months, they were all temporary, and they all looked and acted like it. Some of these promotions worked better than others.

For instance, Captain Zoom and his Amazing Cannon from the 1988 Disneyland State Fair Parade. No, seriously.

2012captzoon2.jpg

2012captzoon1.jpg

But all of the old 1980's promotions had unique parades, special shows, and themed decor packages from the parking lot toll booths right up Main Street to the Castle. Pixar Fest is nothing but a return of 2 old parades (one 3 years old, and one that is 10 years old!). Both of these returning parades have been downgraded from their inaugural formats from 2008 and 2015, with the loss of the Ratatouille float in Pixar Play Parade and the loss of the Frozen float from Paint The Night. Yeah, there's a new Incredibles float coming in 10 weeks, but why isn't it ready for opening night? Really bad planning and managing, obviously.

Pixar Fest just seems cheap and lazy. And the "addition" of themed food as a big selling point for Pixar Fest, all of which looks incredibly gorpy and gimmicky and drenched in fructose corn syrup, is a real turn off for me. Puke.

The reason this whole thing goes from a D+ to a C+ is the creation of a new fireworks show that must only be for this year, and the return of Paint The Night to DCA where I think it's going to work very well and thrive in that park for several decades.
It's been 10 years since Pixar Play Parade debuted? I still remember when the parade was brand new.

TROR

Tbh if anyone does find themselves in the parks in the next few weeks, I gotta request you go to City Hall and complain about the bunting. It's seriously just so gross on Main Street. I'd do it myself if I could.

TROR

Looked on twitter, Nothing wrong with Main Street IMO.

Honestly don't know how anyone could think this isn't gross. The yellow completely clashes with the buildings on Main Street.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.28.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.28.51 PM.png

Also I'm bitter because 2015 and 2016 there was the blue bunting for the 60th and then we finally got the red, white, and blue bunting back which I absolutely love and now we're not getting it again this year.

SuddenStorm

Honestly don't know how anyone could think this isn't gross. The yellow completely clashes with the buildings on Main Street.

View attachment 277055View attachment 277056

Also I'm bitter because 2015 and 2016 there was the blue bunting for the 60th and then we finally got the red, white, and blue bunting back which I absolutely love and now we're not getting it again this year.

Why do they insist on putting up junk that clashes with each land's pre existing theming for promotions like this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom