Pirates ride, where's the mermaids?

mhaftman7

Sorry if this was already covered, but when/why were the skeletal remains removed right before the drop? I could I swore I saw them there as recently as last year, but they were gone this time.

Dragonman

I wonder what happened to the original talking skull before the drop. Now it's basically just a hidden camera. I've found the early version with the eyeball to be pretty interesting looking

HMF

Sorry if this was already covered, but when/why were the skeletal remains removed right before the drop? I could I swore I saw them there as recently as last year, but they were gone this time.
The mermaid bones were removed probably because someone at WDI realized they were unnecessary.

jkl2000

I wonder what happened to the original talking skull before the drop. Now it's basically just a hidden camera. I've found the early version with the eyeball to be pretty interesting looking

I don't think I ever saw the talking skull. I think we somehow missed its residency. I do remember taking a flash photo of the skeleton at the ship's wheel with my Kodak Instamatic camera in the 70s (with flashcube!), and hearing a female voice say "Please, no flash photography" or something to that effect. I always wondered if it was an automatically triggered recording or a live CM's voice.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah, the new one may as well just say, "Hey! Bloated tourists! Look up here and say, 'Cheeeeeze!'" The original one was quite sinister and awesome.

The original talking skull was one of my favorite parts of the original ride, along with the haunting, "Dead men tell no tales!".

Not a fan of updating the ride that started the movie franchise with made-up characters from the movie franchise by inserting those movie characters into the ride that created the movie...

Dragonman

Version with an eyeball that I was talking about
196A6CF1-87B8-4807-B239-11E8FEE7FA9A-1452-00000185A557CECF.jpeg

version with no eyeball
0C7261A1-69A7-4125-BF43-2B04B77A21EA-1452-0000018650872EB4.jpeg

It's appearance was played around with for years before being removed completely in 2006.

janoimagine

Even funnier.... this version was the plan B to replace the version that didn’t work.
Even funnier is the social feeds of some of the next gen imagineers ... completely full of themselves. The talent pool at WDI has dropped incredibly in the past several years, its sad and really makes me wonder what kind of crap show they will slap together to replace illuminations ... which they could have easily decided to keep and just upgrade the tech behind it.

RSoxNo1

The original talking skull was one of my favorite parts of the original ride, along with the haunting, "Dead men tell no tales!".

Not a fan of updating the ride that started the movie franchise with made-up characters from the movie franchise by inserting those movie characters into the ride that created the movie...
I think bringing the talking skull back as a projection on the waterfall would be a great addition. If you watch the blu ray that's one of the animations for the menu screen and I think it would be really cool.

tirian

Yes they did. They were turned off in 2006 so people could hear the Pirate Tutorial show*.

One will fire if set off during the pirate game they have in Adventureland.

*Is it going away? If so, maybe they can turn them back on
There's lots of effects that need to return. Even the barker parrot should return

I miss the cannons and the barker bird. They were little touches that helped make the MK feel like a truly different world rather than a series of FP+ scheduled stops. When those cannons fired at night, the effect was mesmerizing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I miss the cannons and the barker bird. They were little touches that helped make the MK feel like a truly different world rather than a series of FP+ scheduled stops. When those cannons fired at night, the effect was mesmerizing.

YES!!! It's those kinds of little touches that are completely lost on today's TDO, P&R leadership, and TWDC in general. Why be subtle when a jackhammer works just as well?

janoimagine

HEA is an excellent replacement for Wishes. Don't know why New Illuminations won't also be.
Essentially HEA is a replacement for 3 things, the castle projection show, Wishes, and the MSEP, because it is the only thing currently offered for evening entertainment at the MK.

Sorry, I have been corrected, the castle show is still playing on select nights.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom