Pirates Rehab?

PoTCGuy

Original Poster
Hi all!
I did some searches and I know there have been a few threads on this subject in the past, but nothing very recent.

Althought WDWMagic is my favorite site and I visit it often (keep up the good work!), I do occasionally visit some of the other sites. To get to the point, there is a rumor on Mouseplanet that the WDW Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed from May through September. I have found nothing on the official Disney.com site. Has anyone heard anything?

We'll possibly be making a trip down there in June, and it's one of our favorites!

Here is the link from Mouseplanet.
http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd060109mg

Thanks for your help!

WDWRLD

I sure hope its not true. Im going in july and not going to pirates would be like going to disney world and not going to epcot. Id feel like I really missed something on our vacation.

matthope03

I have not heard anything, but we all know disney does not exactly keep rehabs secret to the world. There has been a lot of talk about it but since disney has not said anything I do not see it happening. Especially since that would be over summer which they tend to try and keep rehabs from happening over that time period.

ToTBellHop

I would be very surprised if they closed pirates for the entire summer season...especially since I would think they would want the new version open when the actual pirates movie premiers in July, not two months later. A more obvious timetable if they are going to even do this would be to close the ride after Presidents Week and open it in late May.

MagliteL13

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I would be very surprised if they closed pirates for the entire summer season...especially since I would think they would want the new version open when the actual pirates movie premiers in July, not two months later. A more obvious timetable if they are going to even do this would be to close the ride after Presidents Week and open it in late May.

I'd say that Mouseplanet might be pretty acurate on this one. Our rehab and DLs go hand in hand with each other and will be down at about the same time. DLs should go down a little earlier and come up a little earlier, too.

jeremy_angie

hey folks just got off the phone with disney and as of today there is NO planed rehab for pirates as of today. now take this with a grain of salt but i really dont think they would close down potc durring this time i think they would have planned a rehab durring the winter months say jan thur when ever plus with e.e. bout to open i dont think they would want big crowds and 1 of their most popular rides to be in rehab. i no disney expert by no means but it dont make good bus. sense to do this rehad durring that time. where do mouseplanet get their info from? does anyone know? thanx jeremy & angie

gboiler1

I read that rumor too, but I think MagLite might be correct as to the down time. IMO WDW's Pirates needs more work anyway. It just doesn't compare to DL's version. The fortress is okay in FL, but it doesn't compare to the bayou setting in CA. The final scene is better in CA, too. Hopefully Cap'n Jack and Barbossa will add some new life to a good, but slightly tired attraction.

Lee

Adventurer
From the last word I got, Mark is correct with his dates for the Pirates rehab. In the ballpark, anyway.

Honestly, Pirates is a popular attraction, but no so popular that it would be a HUGE issue to have it closed for part or most of the summer. Guests may complain a bit, but it would not be a big deal operations-wise. Not as big as closing, say, one of the Mountains during the summer.

The DL PotC is under rehab from March right up until the movie premiere in late June.

biggy H

matthope03 said:
I have not heard anything, but we all know disney does not exactly keep rehabs secret to the world. There has been a lot of talk about it but since disney has not said anything I do not see it happening. Especially since that would be over summer which they tend to try and keep rehabs from happening over that time period.

Its A Small World was down for rehab over the summer months last year so it can happen.

PoTCGuy

Original Poster
Brian Skinner said:
I sure hope its not true. Im going in july and not going to pirates would be like going to disney world and not going to epcot. Id feel like I really missed something on our vacation.

I agree! I know it wouldn't be a big deal to some folks out there (didn't bother me to miss IASW the last time we went), but we can only afford to go about every two or three years, so I'd hate to miss one of our favorites due to scheduling. If we knew for sure it was going to be closed, we may wait it out and go next year instead.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the feedback! I'll keep watching this thread...

Lee

Adventurer
PhilharMagician said:
Thanks for the info Lee.

Is there any word on if the load and unload areas will be combined for WDW?

Well, I had heard that tossed around, but I have no idea if that made it into the final plan. I hope so.

DisneyWales

I Heard this was to add Johnney Depps POC character to the ride, there a three AA of his character and the captian was going to be changed to the captain from POC. Plus some work was going to be done to the track, and some of the older AA's.

The same is said to be happening in California, but more extensive!?!?

PhilharMagician

Lee said:
Well, I had heard that tossed around, but I have no idea if that made it into the final plan. I hope so.

Again, thanks for the info Lee.

I do hope they do it. It would allow for another scene to be added. I guess only time will tell.

dandaman

biggy H said:
Its A Small World was down for rehab over the summer months last year so it can happen.

True, but there's no blockbuster hit coming out based on Small World, either.

...Yet. :lookaroun

"Small World: Revenge of Satan's Undead Dolls" :lookaroun :zipit:

Epcot82Guy

Well, I'm upset since I will be there in August (after a 3.5 year hiatus), but glad that the rehab is happening. As long as it isn't an entire replacement (which nothing seems to indicate it is), I will gladly welcome 2 or 3 new animatronics to blend the shows. I wonder if WDW will get the same scenes as DL or if there will be replacements based on Dead Man's Chest. Just me thinking outloud, but I am wondering if the Pirates attractions might get separate tie-ins.

WDWRLD

Im hoping that the rehab is only a good cleaning and behind the scenes work that will not alter the appearence of the ride at all. Also I hope the load and unload do not change. To me a ride that you b oard in one area and unload in a completely seperate area give you the sense of actually traveling somewhere. Take the haunted mansion.......when you board there are empty doom buggies....where did everyone go....did the ghosts get them....I feel it adds to the experience to have seperate load/unload areas. I also feel that the Capt Jack and anyone else should not be added. Ever since the begining of the ride there has been the same pirate. It just wouldnt look right to have Capt jack or the Black Pearl added. Just because theres a movie they dont need to add the characters from that movie to an existing ride. That would be like taking the likeness of someone who has portrayed Peter Pan in one of the many diffrent movies/plays/shows and putting it on all the pans in the ride. Anyhow.............as I hop off my soapbox......what ever they do I hope that its open on july 7 when I get there.

Lee

Adventurer
Brian Skinner said:
I also feel that the Capt Jack and anyone else should not be added. Ever since the begining of the ride there has been the same pirate. It just wouldnt look right to have Capt jack or the sparrow added. .
Sorry. It's gonna happen.:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom