Pirates plunder 13.5 million at Box Office on Opening day (Wednesday)

CTXRover

Original Poster
The numbers are in and it looks like Pirates is indeed heading to be a hit with the public. Pirates of the Caribbean took in a very healthy 13.5 million in its opening day. What is impressive about this number is that it opened on a 'nontraditional' Wednesday instead of Friday. To put it into perspective, of all movies that opened on Wednesdays (in most cases, the decision to open on a Wednesday is to lead into holiday weekends, which is not the case for Pirates), Pirates ranked 8th. In fact, it made 1 million MORE on its opening day than Terminator 3 did last Wednesday, even though Pirates is in 332 LESS theaters and T3 opened during a holiday weekend and was a sequel.

From the reaction I've seen to this movie, and the fact that over 3000 users at yahoo! rate the movie an A+ so far, Pirates looks good to have a solid weekend. Look for 40-45million this weekend for a 5 day total of 65-70 million.

WDWspider

I agree with ya. As much as I'm dead set on watching this movie... I have to wait til next weekend. I'm just dying to go... but my parents insist on watching it with us (which will be fun). The Cinematics look drop dead gorgeous and I'm sure it will kill at the box office throughout the weekend.

Who would have thought dead rats and Pie would make such a cool combination. :D

CTXRover

Original Poster
Preliminary Estimates

For those interested, Buena Vista Picture's preliminary estimates for Pirates on Thursday was a very healthy 10.3 million. Final/actual numbers are still on the way and that number is only an estimate. I'll keep everyone posted when they are released :)

For those curious, movies that open on Wednesdays almost always drop on their respective Thursday before skyrocketing on Saturday. A 24% drop from Wed. to Thurs is often better than expected. With the word of mouth this movie is generating, the weekend should be very strong for pirates. The only thing hampering its intake is its rather long running time, which causes less showings a day than other movies.

BRER STITCH

Count me in on the Thursday take!

That movie was AWESOME!

I have a feeling they'll be getting another $8 out of me this weekend!

:lookaroun

NowInc

From what i have seen...each show at my local cineplex has been pretty full....its doing well...better than expected...and it will dominate this weekend too (LXG is expected to be a flop)

CTXRover

Original Poster
Thursdays numbers are in.........

and the final total for Pirates was 10.486 million for a grand total of 24 million heading into the weekend.

Looking good and already surpassing many industry expectations. Finally, a movie that is meeting and exceeding what industry experts were predicting and not falling behind like every other big action flick this summer such as T3, Hulk and Charlie's Angles.

Re: Thursdays numbers are in.........

Originally posted by CTXRover
and the final total for Pirates was 10.486 million for a grand total of 24 million heading into the weekend.

lol Im glad I did my part, $21.75 of that is mine:D

Blair

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
Count me in on the Thursday take!

That movie was AWESOME!

I have a feeling they'll be getting another $8 out of me this weekend!

:lookaroun
Yup... gotta drag a few more with me out there, back to the El Capitan.

CTXRover

Original Poster
Opening Weekend: Friday Numbers

On Friday, Pirates easily beat the competition, bringing in 14.8 million with a per theater average of $4,530. The second place film was LXG with about half of Pirates take at 7.7 million.

To put things into perspective, last weekend T3 made 13.0 million on Friday and a per theater average of $3,500. Pirates is doing extremely well.

VILLAINSRULE

First Nemo and now Pirates of the Caribbean---go Disney! This movie is fantastic! I went on Friday and then again last night. It is a very smart and witty and beautfully done movie---I think this is definitely going into the "classic" category in my book!
I just hope Haunted Mansion was done as well as this, and not a step back like Country Bears......

Maria

Originally posted by CTXRover

From the reaction I've seen to this movie, and the fact that over 3000 users at yahoo! rate the movie an A+ so far, Pirates looks good to have a solid weekend. Look for 40-45million this weekend for a 5 day total of 65-70 million.

I want to see this movie so bad! I´ve seen the trailer and it looks great! I think it will open here on July 25th, so I will have to wait a bit more. :)

CTXRover

Original Poster
Opening Weekend estimates

Pirates of the Caribbean was a true hit this weekend at the box office taking in an estimated 46.4 million over the 3 day weekend and 70.4 million since opening last Wednesday. These are very good numbers. Another hit from Disney :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom