News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

Hatbox Ghostbuster

"Oh hey look, they've released the new auction scene video!"

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Couldn't they have kept Frees' dialogue but have him talking to a donkey or something, or would people be triggered by donkey sales?

I don't think pirates want to see a donkey's super-structure or under carriage. lol That said, I agree with others thinking they could have kept the dialogue and much of the scene intact with the simple change of having "the redhead" fireback a pithy comeback response.

habuma

I find it interesting (albeit it, not surprising) that there are only 4 comments on the parks blog article. And those comments are neutral at worst, and positive about the change at best. Of course, the comments are moderated and Disney isn't going to let negative comments negate their announcement. But it does not mean that negative comments will necessarily go unread.

I'm rarely one to be negative when it comes to Disney. Even when I disagree, I usually keep it to myself or just complain to my family and friends. But this scene change is simply embarrassing. Therefore, even if it never gets published by the comments moderator, I've posted the following comment to the article on the parks blog, in (perhaps futile) hope that if enough others are doing the same, it will result in a followup change. Even if it does no good, I encourage others to do something similar. It certainly couldn't hurt.

What follows is the comment that I posted:

While I wasn’t excited about a change to a classic scene from the ride, even if somewhat non-PC (they are PIRATES, after all!!!), I would’ve been okay with it had the result not shown so little creativity.

“Hen for a ten”, “We wants the rum”, and (the most cringe-worthy) “Shift yer feathers dearie, show ’em your flock” are all just so odd and uninspired. Why would pirates be auctioning chickens? Why? Perhaps it’s my imagination that is lacking, because I can imagine no circumstance where pirates auctioning chickens makes even the slightest sense.

I sincerely hope that before this change is applied in Disneyland there will be another attempt to come up with a scene that reflects the history of creativity that the Disney company is known for. And then I hope that the WDW version will be retrofitted with a more fitting scene. As it stands, this scene is an embarrassment for imagineering and an insult to those among us who appreciate well-thought out and cohesive attraction scenery. Disney is better than this.

Disney Analyst

I find it interesting (albeit it, not surprising) that there are only 4 comments on the parks blog article. And those comments are neutral at worst, and positive about the change at best. Of course, the comments are moderated and Disney isn't going to let negative comments negate their announcement. But it does not mean that negative comments will necessarily go unread.

I'm rarely one to be negative when it comes to Disney. Even when I disagree, I usually keep it to myself or just complain to my family and friends. But this scene change is simply embarrassing. Therefore, even if it never gets published by the comments moderator, I've posted the following comment to the article on the parks blog, in (perhaps futile) hope that if enough others are doing the same, it will result in a followup change. Even if it does no good, I encourage others to do something similar. It certainly couldn't hurt.

While I wasn’t excited about a change to a classic scene from the ride, even if somewhat non-PC (they are PIRATES, after all!!!), I would’ve been okay with it had the result not shown so little creativity.

“Hen for a ten”, “We wants the rum”, and (the most cringe-worthy) “Shift yer feathers dearie, show ’em your flock” are all just so odd and uninspired. Why would pirates be auctioning chickens? Why? Perhaps it’s my imagination that is lacking, because I can imagine no circumstance where pirates auctioning chickens makes even the slightest sense.

I sincerely hope that before this change is applied in Disneyland there will be another attempt to come up with a scene that reflects the history of creativity that the Disney company is known for. And then I hope that the WDW version will be retrofitted with a more fitting scene. As it stands, this scene is an embarrassment for imagineering and an insult to those among us who appreciate well-thought out and cohesive attraction scenery. Disney is better than this.

I mean it makes as much sense as pirates taking the time to auction off women instead of just taking them... it’s what always made POTC funny and unique, how absurd the pirates were. Why are pirates stopping to sing?

Castle Cake Apologist

I mean it makes as much sense as pirates taking the time to auction off women instead of just taking them... it’s what always made POTC funny and unique, how absurd the pirates were. Why are pirates stopping to sing?

Honestly, pirates selling humans makes a lot more sense than pirates selling chickens.

And they sing because they're drunk. Don't we all? :cool:

Awakening

While the scene may pacify those who thought it was demeaning to women, the new scene isn't exactly "yay feminism" either.
Having the sole female pirate be the only one "sober" and essentially playing "mother" to the pirates isn't feminism.
Having her be just as rowdy and bawdy as the men surrounding her, showing that women are just as capable of villainy would have been ideal. If you want to show that women are just as competent as men, making all the men idiots isn't how you go about doing that.

mikenatcity1

I'm curious if the update in Disneyland will also include the lady being chased being updated to reflect the same as the WDW version...

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

My exact thoughts. So many words to describe this change but embarrassing just nails it. The dialogue, the voice work of the auctioneer, the “new face” of the redhead. This is the signature attraction that defines what a Disney attraction can and should be and this pointless scene revision feels like they slapped this together without much thought or care.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

Maybe, but as it is, it's implied that he's after the booze the barmaid is carrying.
Are we in a society where we can leave implications? I'll be honest- i've been on that ride so many times and never once noticed what she was carrying. I'm not saying change it, i'm just curious :) Great...now I have to look at pictures to see how I could have missed this! :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I get that, but why put the idea into guests' heads in the first place?
There are only two types of people (as far as this attraction is concerned). Those who have seen the original scene , and those who have not. Those who have seen the original version already have a preconceived emotion towards the ride, and those who have not seen it, have none. I don't see how anybody who has never ridden POTC would think "human trafficking" as a result from the proposed scene.

MarkTwain

Same. It's one of those head-scratching choices to remove a nice addition that only enhanced the ride and caused no extra expense. Reminds me of WDI Paris' bad choice to remove the projected silhouettes of the fort-storming pirates in their recent redux... a cool detail that was deleted with no replacement and for no rhyme or reason.

Feels like a move to throw a bone to "purists" who would've been been annoyed at the auction changes. Not really enough though... I would've rather they put the money into that exit door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom