News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

The Duck

I think she looks good but I liked her better when she was Jane.
maxresdefault.jpg

BasiltheBatLord

I don't really see the Jane resemblance. I guess we'll find out when the Disneyland version opens (unless they're making that figure from the same mold)

Sped2424

Best part about all this "controversy" is the average guest has no idea anything happened and is still smiling at the end of the ride :D They truly did ruin Pirates.

Sir_Cliff

I was looking at the history of the Red Head character and the lady pirates that never made it off the drawing board, thought I'd share,
This seems to be one of the first sketches of her by Marc Davis
View attachment 271127

There was a figure built based on this sketch that was only used for a mock-up/preview of the ride
View attachment 271128
View attachment 271129

They then switched to a second sculpture of the figure that made it into the ride
View attachment 271130

There was a lot of art work of lady pirates, they all seemed a little "edgier" than the new Red Head, but they were usually preoccupied with treasure. This first image is set in the opening of the ride, in the area where the mermaid skeleton was just removed
View attachment 271134
View attachment 271136
View attachment 271138

In the this sketch they are handing out treasure to the male pirates, maybe this is where the new role for the Red Head came from?
View attachment 271137

...and the is the Red Head Pirate painting that appears in the Disneyland version of the ride
View attachment 271140
There are so many interesting ways they could have gone with this change. Were they really so pleased with the line "ten for a hen" that they went with a chicken auction?

I don't have any problem with them updating the scene in line with the fact that the concept of auctioning off women to lusty drunken men might not seem so hilarious in 2018, but this is not a very creative update. It also doesn't look from the videos that they've done anything to tweak the lighting or general show quality to approach that of the Disneyland version and maybe compensate a little for the change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom