Pirates of the Caribbean Auctioneer/Redhead Changes NO POLITICS or SOCIAL ISSUES, PLEASE!

Bairstow

I will admit that the Barbossa animatronic is pretty impressive, as is the projection mapping effect they used.

That's not projection mapping; it's just U/V ink on the figure and its costume and a black light that comes on. You can do the same thing to yourself with a black light if you draw on you skin with a yellow highlighter.

...unless I'm missing something.

Castle Cake Apologist

I think the Barbossa AA is just paint and fabric that glows under UV lights, although I could be wrong. Same results as projection mapping but done on the cheap. A theatre trick of old, a practical effect vs a digital one. Pretty impressive.

That's not projection mapping; it's just U/V ink on the figure and its costume and a black light that comes on. You can do the same thing to yourself with a black light if you draw on you skin with a yellow highlighter.

...unless I'm missing something.

Watching it again, I think you guys are right. That's actually even cooler to me because I love when they use old school tricks. Very well done.

HMF

I think the Barbossa AA is just paint and fabric that glows under UV lights, although I could be wrong. Same results as projection mapping but done on the cheap. A theatre trick of old, a practical effect vs a digital one. Pretty impressive.
Just because something is old does not make it cheap. If that were the case Haunted Mansion is one of the cheapest attractions in the park.

Suchomimus

Are you referring to Episode 4 through 6, or the actual part 2 through...wait. Ok, trying this again. Are you referring to when there was Han Solo and, wait no, not that either.

...It's all Jar Jar Binks fault, isn't it?
kk0ma.jpg

Bairstow

Haven't seen it live, but it seems like an ok effect.

What would have been really awesome is if they could have used two synchronized A100s (one normal and one skeletal) and a Pepper's Ghost effect to combine them as they continue to move. They would have needed to set the figure off from the track a bit further and keeping the glass free of moisture would be a challenge in a water ride, but the result would have been fantastic.

As is, it looks like Barbossa is briefly becoming a Mariachi version of himself.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just because something is old does not make it cheap. If that were the case Haunted Mansion is one of the cheapest attractions in the park.

Didn't say old = cheap. But for all intensive purposes this is a cheap effect. I'm not knocking it. And yes HM does have some of inexpensive effects that work wonders. The entire attraction No but many of the effects are simple concepts that use simple low cost materials to achieve incredible results.

Last edited:

willtravel

If they put Barbossa in Florida version. it would be fine.(Maybe they can take him out of the Paris version to put him in WDW) DL is the sacred one. I hope the original Captain returns on both coasts.
I didn't know they changed the Captain out from the originall. :( Do you have a before and after photo? For me, I think Barbossa is great in DLP. But I would like to have something like that but a different character so that we don't match DLP. JMO

FigmentJedi

Overall I would say they arguably improved the Town Scenes and messed up the grotto. Ironically in the Disneyland version in 2006 they arguably improved the grotto and messed up the town scenes. The 2006 WDW Refurb was a complete mess all around. I just hope they bring back the original captain to all the versions but please no Barbossa in the grottoes. I will say the AA of Barbossa actually looks like Barbossa. Something the ones in the domestic parks never really managed.
I don't mind Barbossa in the grottos, but I'd rather place him elsewhere, like on the skeleton beach (getting rid of the random mermaid tangent at WDW) or by a waterfall. Bringing the undead curse into the mix is the one movie addition that feels complimentary to the "A Pirates Life gets you a Terrible Fate" thing that they were pushing beforehand.

Jack being shoved into Paris's Grotto is really terrible though.

Bairstow

On the bright side, if this version of Barbossa comes to WDW, (doubtful) the current Barbossa would almost be sure to be evicted from the ship. This would be a good way to bring back the original captain.

What makes you think they would remove the Geoffrey Rush from the ship?

BasiltheBatLord

Kinda random question while we're on this topic, anybody know if the Barbossa figure in the U.S. is the same original figure as the captain? Or was the entire figure replaced?

HMF

I don't mind Barbossa in the grottos, but I'd rather place him elsewhere, like on the skeleton beach (getting rid of the random mermaid tangent at WDW) or by a waterfall. Bringing the undead curse into the mix is the one movie addition that feels complimentary to the "A Pirates Life gets you a Terrible Fate" thing that they were pushing beforehand.
It might even give them an excuse to get rid of the DJ/Blackbeard "Marketing Mist" or at least the Blackbeard part.

HMF

Kinda random question while we're on this topic, anybody know if the Barbossa figure in the U.S. is the same original figure as the captain? Or was the entire figure replaced?
I think it was a new figure. The last Captain of the Wicked Wench model at DL from 97-06 apparently moved much faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom