Pirates of the Caribbean Auctioneer/Redhead Changes NO POLITICS or SOCIAL ISSUES, PLEASE!

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
So with the other thread shifting into the political, any chance we can have a discussion about the actual change itself while keeping the social issues in the other thread?

The other thread for social discussion can be found here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-redhead-is-changing.928716/

As for this scene, I think they would be better off with a total wholesale change to the scene. The redhead is iconic, as is the auctioneer, but if the scene is inappropriate, why not retire them outright? What Imagineer wouldn't love the opportunity to create an entirely new scene for this space? It could be sword fighting pirates, or could be an explosion sequence, it could be a combination of all of them. Instead the new proposal appears to keep the characters but ignore the rolls they once played. That doesn't work as well (see Figment).

Haymarket2008

So with the other thread shifting into the political, any chance we can have a discussion about the actual change itself while keeping the social issues in the other thread?

The other thread for social discussion can be found here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-redhead-is-changing.928716/

As for this scene, I think they would be better off with a total wholesale change to the scene. The redhead is iconic, as is the auctioneer, but if the scene is inappropriate, why not retire them outright? What Imagineer wouldn't love the opportunity to create an entirely new scene for this space? It could be sword fighting pirates, or could be an explosion sequence, it could be a combination of all of them. Instead the new proposal appears to keep the characters but ignore the rolls they once played. That doesn't work as well (see Figment).

When all is said and done, the scene isn't changing all that much. A new pirate redhead is replacing the old one, and townspeople are replacing the line of women.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Without scrolling through the other thread. Is there any artwork of the proposed changes ?
tia.

djdan888

So it sounds like POTC will be going down for refurb to fix this issue at some point probably this fall. Anyone heard if a Barbossa animatronic will be added or maybe all animatronics updated during said refurb?

Haymarket2008

So it sounds like POTC will be going down for refurb to fix this issue at some point probably this fall. Anyone heard if a Barbossa animatronic will be added or maybe all animatronics updated during said refurb?

Luckily, I don't believe he is being added to the cave. That would be a grave mistake. He'll just stay on the pirate ship.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So, pirates are going to be auctioning off their loot? I thought they pillaged, plundered, rifled, and looted? So they are going to steal from the townsfolk, only to auction the loot back to them? *scratches head* Well, I guess it just follows with the other ruination of the original story that they started in 2006...

djdan888

I would gladly take a year long shutdown if they revamp Pirates to be half as good as Shanghai. I know it is classic and all, but time for a change.

MaximumEd

Is there any timeline on when the ride might go down to make these changes? Got a Thanksgiving trip planned, and would like to see it one more time before they ruin it (more).

PeoplemoverTTA

I completely agree that a total changeover of the scene would be the way to go to truly freshen up the ride (and if it were to align with what so many people feel is the reasoning behind the change). I'm thinking the major factor here is merchandise for little girls who want to be the redheaded pirate, though - hence keeping her in instead.

Of course, I'm the weird chick who, when we took my 9-year old (at the time) stepson to the Pirates League during his first trip to WDW, got the full mustache and dude pirate makeover. The girl ones were all lame to me (I would have done the same when I was a kid, lol!).

Grimley1968

There's one way they could do this that would be fine with me, though it would be probably too long a scene and there would be challenges with the AA's:

Begin with the auction scene as it is now, but the Redhead grabs a rifle from somewhere, cows the auctioneer and becomes a pirate herself, robbing everyone else in the auction scene.

Unfortunately, the proposed artwork doesn't suggest anything nearly as fun, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom