Pirates Breaks Record...actually SMASHES weekend record!

WeLComeHomE OKW

Original Poster
Pirates made an estimated whopping 132 million dollars over the weekend, smashing Spidermans record of 114 million. I have no clue what will happen next for this film. Its already a smash hit.

It is also the fastest movie to reach 100 million dollars ever. It only took 2 days to do so.

As you heard yesterday, it also holds the record for single day record, at 55.5 million that it reached Friday. On Saturday it made 44 million, which put that in 5th place for the single day record.

AMAZING! Go Pirates! (Think what this will do for the Parks!)

Craig & Lisa

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
Pirates made an estimated whopping 132 million dollars over the weekend, smashing Spidermans record of 114 million. I have no clue what will happen next for this film. Its already a smash hit.

It is also the fastest movie to reach 100 million dollars ever. It only took 2 days to do so.

As you heard yesterday, it also holds the record for single day record, at 55.5 million that it reached Friday. On Saturday it made 44 million, which put that in 5th place for the single day record.

AMAZING! Go Pirates! (Think what this will do for the Parks!)
Saw it on friday night, the theater was packed and it was a great movie, I wouldn't go as far as to say the best movie I've ever seen, but very good. At least alot better than most movie critics say, but then they also trashed Star Wars and look what happened to those "6" movies:hammer:

2gether

Tried to go yesterday...

We tried to go yesterday but couldn't get tickets. We went to Superman instead which was actually pretty good. I do wish we could have seen Pirates, though. Count us among those that will see it a couple weeks from now.

yay!!!!!!!! I am so happy for disney right now!!! And I get to ride the new ride in DL when we leave tommorow!! This is just an awesome week!!

bucklmd

OK, so I just got home from the movie and I've got to say that I have mixed emotions. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen, so I won't go in detail, but I was happy until the end. Now I'm just frustrated!!! Does anyone else feel this way?

Craig & Lisa

bucklmd said:
OK, so I just got home from the movie and I've got to say that I have mixed emotions. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen, so I won't go in detail, but I was happy until the end. Now I'm just frustrated!!! Does anyone else feel this way?
Right behind you, as was said, " Where's the monkey, I have to shoot something?":animwink:

Disneyfanman

I wasn't frustrated at all! More like excited about the third movie. That ending really got the audience that I was with all excited too! I thought overall the movie started really slow and built up to a teriffic final 45 minutes. It also made some of the ride changes make more sense to me.

NICE job, Disney. I was worred that it would be too much "Matrix reloaded". Instead I was treated to an "Empire Strikes Back".

hokielutz

I'd like to offer a big congratulations to Jerry B, Gore V., Terry, Ted, and everyone else at Disney who did a tremendous job with POTC 2. It was awesome, I loved it, the ending has me asking so many questions that won't be answered until next year. The movie was well worth all the hype.

Though I haven't seen it and probably won't for a couple weeks, I'm assuming that it has a cliff hanger ending...this is pretty common though in films that already have a third planned or already in the works. It makes you wanna come back to find out what happens.....sometimes....forget the whole Matrix thing....(haha).

To put the record breaking weekend in perspective...it's actually kinda tricky...I don't want to down play what POTC2 did, but it had an advantage over Spider-Man 2.

POTC2 opened on 4133 screens whereas Spidey2 only opened on about 35-3600 screens (or something like that...I've tried finding it, but I only saw it once and now I can't locate it). The screen count is actually what allowed Spidey to overtake the previous leader which I believe was Star Wars Episode 1.

It'll be interesting to see, especially next year to see who'll be the first to topple this record. I'm sure the people who makes Spider-Man (Warner Bros.?) want their record back and I would expect to see Spidey open on more than the 4133 that Pirates did...I also think Dreamworks will open Shrek 3 on even more screens than that. Shrek really, to me, seems to have the best shot at securing this record and holding onto it for a while. It comes out a week before POTC3 comes out and they'll probably keep the theatre count as quiet as possible leading up to release. It'll be interesting to see.

Disneyfanman said:
I wasn't frustrated at all! More like excited about the third movie. That ending really got the audience that I was with all excited too!

That's how it was for me. I was actually expecting for them to resolve the whole problem (I wasn't expecting the cliff hanger) and all I could think of was, "it's 3 AM and this movies gonna go on forever..." But that ending was great. The whole theater gasped, laughed, and applauded! It didn't frustrate me either. Not that I was ever doubting to see the 3rd movie, but it was a smart move to get many many others to see it.

goofntink

The ending I can explain,but will wait till the movie is out for a little bit longer so Not to spoil for anyone who has not seen it. Did anyone here stay through the credits to see the extra scene at the end.:lol: And yes the end did explain the addition of THAT character to the ride.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom