Pirates and Mermaids riding Stranger Tides?

Have you seen 'Pirates 4'? And would mermaids be a good addition to the attraction?

• Yes, I've seen 'Pirates 4', and I do think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Yes, I've seen 'Pirates 4', but I don't think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • No, I haven't seen 'Pirates 4', but I do think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • No, I haven't seen 'Pirates 4', but I don't think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
Okay, so I was going to bed, had an idea, and wanted to share it with you guys. First, please bare with me, my computer's in the office, and I'm too lazy and tired, so I'm typin' this on my iPhone. Second, most of you/us are diehard-don't-like-change purists (ironic though since the man himself - Walt - loved it), so just please, at least try to be open minded to an extent, and consider the idea.

Now, for those of you who have not seen Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, this thread is probably irrelevant, and could contain possible SPOILERS of the film, so proceed with caution.

Anyway, moving on...

In my opinion, the mermaid sequence and presence in the new Pirates sequel is refreshing; meaning, it brings a new feeling to the franchise. Listen to the track 'Mermaids' on the soundtrack, and you'll understand.

Now, my idea:

I'll just say it. The cave scene in the attraction just screams Mermaids to me. Some small - inexpensive - details that could 'hint' to the presence of a mermaid(s) in the water. Imagine the faint, haunting score of the 'Mermaids' track, and either the beautiful colors of a tailfin cutting through the water - as in the beginning of the mermaid sequence in the film - and/or the quick glimpse of an animatronic mermaid slowly turning her glaze towards the boat, while sitting on a rock. It could almost be terrifying. But not to children, who'd have no idea of why to be afraid. We as adults would just get chills at the possible appearance of the devilishly deceiving creatures.

Like I said, it could be a suddle addition. And I understand that there might not be room for it in our caves, but at least in Disneyland, where their caves go on for miles.

Ideas? Thoughts? Bring 'em on!

Tah!

9bwoulfe

i guess that would be a cool idea but i was thinking of having mayb a fountain of youth by the two dead pirates i think that would be perfect

wizards8507

I like the idea, but it would never work. There's a well-established image of what a mermaid is "supposed" to be in the Magic Kingdom and it's A, not B.

A.
main%20page%20Ariel.jpg

B.
gemma-ward-tamara-mermaid-pirates-of-the-caribbean.jpg

The cave scene in the attraction just screams Mermaids to me. Some small - inexpensive - details that could 'hint' to the presence of a mermaid(s) in the water. Imagine the faint, haunting score of the 'Mermaids' track, and either the beautiful colors of a tailfin cutting through the water - as in the beginning of the mermaid sequence in the film

If they were to do this I think this is the direction they would go. That way it wouldn't "spoil" the image of Ariel to little kids.

erasure fan1

I think the idea of a subtle hint at mermaids in the caves could be a cool idea. I wouldnt go full AA but a tail or 2 flipping out of the water than disappearing in the direction of under the boats would be cool. The caves are all about building up the suspense so just a hint would just add to that.

SyracuseOrange

I think the idea of a subtle hint at mermaids in the caves could be a cool idea. I wouldnt go full AA but a tail or 2 flipping out of the water than disappearing in the direction of under the boats would be cool. The caves are all about building up the suspense so just a hint would just add to that.

I agree, just a hint would be nice. Even a quick hit of the song, which I agree, is a nice change of course from the rest of the music in the film.

sublimesting

I think that's a really cool idea! Even just a tail fin would be chilling. On that note, what about shark fins trolling about on the Barbossa assualt on the fort!

Animaniac93-98

I'd like to see the mermaids added to the ride's caves in the from of some tails swishing in the water while their version of the sailor's song plays.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I'm glad you like the idea. The presence of the mermaids is what I was really talking about (not the image that the dude with the Buzz Lightyear avatar posted). It'd just be a suddle addition which would actually be cool because - as stated earlier - the caves are all about building the suspense. Plus, I thought it'd be a better tie-in than a full Penelope Cruz AA. :wave:

... not to mention the ride's new backstory takes place between the events 'in Seville,' (when he knew Penelope's character) and the events in the Curse of the Black Pearl.

CLandrum

I think it is a base of an intersting idea and could work. I think it is funny everyone brought up the image of Ariel. My first post on FB after seeing the movie was damn Ariel is a B----, and haha Jack said he "liked the Missionaries position."

SyracuseOrange

I think it is a base of an intersting idea and could work. I think it is funny everyone brought up the image of Ariel. My first post on FB after seeing the movie was damn Ariel is a B----, and haha Jack said he "liked the Missionaries position."

My friend who came to Pirates4 with me (and isn't a huge Disney fan) said it was nice to see Disney present a different idea of mermaids. I agree, I applaud Disney for giving this spin. They shouldn't be afraid to do the same in the parks. And as other posters are saying, even just some music and the "effect" of a mermaid would be enough.

CP_alum08

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I'm glad you like the idea. The presence of the mermaids is what I was really talking about (not the image that the dude with the Buzz Lightyear avatar posted). It'd just be a suddle addition which would actually be cool because - as stated earlier - the caves are all about building the suspense. Plus, I thought it'd be a better tie-in than a full Penelope Cruz AA. :wave:

... not to mention the ride's new backstory takes place between the events 'in Seville,' (when he knew Penelope's character) and the events in the Curse of the Black Pearl.

I might never get off the ride if there was :xmas: <--because it would be like christmas everyday!

pumpkin7

i think they've added enough to pirates. i think they should have left it alone in the first place and just had a jack sparrow cm outside... not a huge fan of the AA's... they've had to give him a scarf for starters because of his neck movements. and then taking blackbeards ship off him, giving it to a dodgey looking barbosa and then adding him back in on the 'mist waterfall'? just silly.
i think one of the posters above has hit the nail on the head: when are people going to start asking if the ride was based on the movies. just, no.

WDWFigment

I haven't seen the movie, but based upon the terrible reviews its getting from objective film critics (you know, the ones that aren't hugely biased Disney fans), I don't think it should be immortalized in an attraction.

Actually, I don't think any of the films following the first should find their way into the attraction. The original was a great and unique film. The rest have just been summer popcorn flicks. Enjoyable, but nothing memorable.

I just have a hard time justifying the presence of lame films in attractions, but that's just me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom