Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

Shaman

I'm with those that think the movie was too long...some action sequences lasted too long...some conversations dragged on and on pointlessly...and then there are moments in the film that seem incomplete (maybe after one viewing anyway).

The funny moments in this film (and there are quite a bit) I think take away from the serious ones...I don't think that happened as much in the other films. Visually this film is very strong. Though some sequences I thought could've been presented differently (ex. sand bar scene right before the big battle at the end, which had Jones in a bucket of water)...

It wasn't an awful film. It was pretty good and entertaining. Worth what you pay to see it (is that considered a compliment?). It could've been better...but most films can...I think I will enjoy it more the second time around now that I know what to expect.

To me the second film was the best...followed by the third and then the first. For some, I would imagine their order would be in reverse. I just think the only thing the first film had going for it was Depp's acting.

My theater was packed with kids, and they all seemed to enjoy it.

Is it true Depp is open to the idea of making more pirates films...that would be great...the search for the fountain of youth would be a great to see. A FRESH story (one perhaps not so complex) is what the franchise needs. Another film would probably not include the other stars and that may not be such a bad thing. Depp is what MADE the pirates films anyway.

You could have easily cut out an hour of this movie. It's not like anybody could actually follow the plot. Characters swapped allegiances, pretended to swap allegiances, pretended to pretend to swap allegiances. It was like a bad joke that nobody could follow. Plus, there were tons of unanswered questions (uh..why was the Kraken dead?), elements that broke the movie's own stupid logic, and Ken Wantanabe in his most useless role yet! And, for an action/adventure movie...where was the ACTION? The only decent segment in the entire thing is the final climactic battle. The lead in was one boring and confusing exchange after another.

I'm sure if watched the whole thing again, I might understand more. But, you know what, if the script isn't compelling the first time around, I'm just not interested in subjecting myself to the pain.

Two enthusiastic thumbs DOWN. Boo to bad filmmaking and storytelling!

The plot was heavy. But I think that most every single question and then some was answered in the movie (well except Beckett...his story remains vague). I think you're right about the hour/content bit...I think the movie should've probably started right before they were going over the waterfall.

*sigh* This perfectly exemplifies why the pirates sequels are terrible. They're written in a manipulative manner--utilizing trite clichés to redeem lazy writing.

The screenwriters introduce the "meanest and un-killable" monster in the second movie. Then, they kill the creature OFF STAGE in the sequel. That's just bad storytelling. A good script would have had our heroes find a way to defeat the monster in a thrilling and fun fashion. Instead, we get some stupid offhand explanation that feels like just a lame copout.

At first I was bothered by it too...but it was a good way to exemplify Beckett's control over Jones. The stench of copout is still there though...seeing as the Kraken was involved in the vague reason Jack wouldn't allow Jones' heart to be destroyed in the second film.

I wouldn't categorize these films as terrible though. At the very least they are entertaining. Before these films, the pirate genre was a sure box office bomb. For a movie based off an themepark attraction...can you really ask for MUCH more?

Even the final battle is ridiculous in some sense. Granted, this is easily the best part of the movie. But, why do we only see two friggin' ships fight one another. Last time I checked, there was an entire armada and an entire squadron of Pirate ships facing on another. I kept asking myself "where is everyone else?"

That was weird too...it was almost as if the other ships weren't even there...maybe the swirling whirlpool had something to do with it...nevertheless, that sequence would've been EVEN better if it included the major sea battle between "armadas". The whole getting married-while-fighting thing was dumb...my sister thought it was "cute" and was an interesting touch...

What one person enjoys another will/can hate. It's just life I guess.

erasure fan1

I thought the movie was great. as most have said it was a tad bit to long though. But over all it was very good. ILM did a fantastic job on the effects, the final battle rocked. I also love the part when they go over the falls and they have the ride reference.

Sadiebird

One of my favorite moments was when the Pearl is going down the waterfall into Davy Jones' Locker and the picture goes black. Then your hear sounds from the PotC attraction!! I almost died! :ROFLOL: Sadly, I don't think many people in the theater I was in got that reference.

My favorite part too!!

Shaman

Awesome movie. I actually ended up liking Barbosa's character more than the others before it was all over with.

I think thats a good point...the Barbosa/Sparrow relationship was depicted more in this film (especially from a different perspective from the first)...I thought their scenes were some of the best in the whole film. I really liked the fact that Jack was Peal-less at the end too.

yodathefrog

Just saw the movie today...and I loved it. I can't say it was my favorite though. I guess I see them as one story and personally I love the overall scope of the three put together. They tied all loose ends and finished it up quite nicely...with leaving some room for a possible forth.

Since this is a spoilers thread, I had read somewhere on the internet after getting home that there was an interesting scene cut from the movie. This scene involved Tia Dhalma going over the process in which the Davy/Will Turner curse can be negated. If their lover is faithful after ten years, the curse is broken and they can return to land. Leaving this little nugget out is most definately why the last scene was pushed to after the credits. Interesting stuff!

yodathefrog

Well...the scene opens with a boy walking through a field overlooking the sea, he is humming/singing(?) Yo Ho. The screen then says Ten Years later and we see Elizabeth walk into the scene as well. Just as the sun is setting a green flash explodes on the horizon (which was said to signify a soul coming back to earth). Then, a ship appears with Will Turner sailing towards his wife and his son. Fade to Black.

Sadiebird

Well...the scene opens with a boy walking through a field overlooking the sea, he is humming/singing(?) Yo Ho. The screen then says Ten Years later and we see Elizabeth walk into the scene as well. Just as the sun is setting a green flash explodes on the horizon (which was said to signify a soul coming back to earth). Then, a ship appears with Will Turner sailing towards his wife and his son. Fade to Black.

Ooh, I like that. I wish I would have stayed to see it. :brick:

darthjohnny

I finally saw At World's End! It was awesome! Some people think it's too long, but I thought it wasn't long enough.

Unfortunately, the theater cut off the movie before the final scene was shown after the credits.

I don't know what the scene is. I guess I'll have to wait until I get it on DVD.

I did notice that in the credits, Keith Richards wrote and performed his guitar music in the movie. Is that on the official soundtrack?:shrug:

3. Some things weren't really made clear. For example: Now that Will has take Davey Jones place, does that mean he's going to turn into the same looking creature? Is he going to stay human? Is he going to become ruthless, or is "davey jones" not someone to be feared anymore?

The reason Davy Jones turned into an octopus-like creature was that he didn't fulfill his duties as "ferrier of souls."

This was discussed when Will was talking to Jack about Jack wanting to take the place of Jones after he stabs the heart. Will mentions that he would have to do his job, or "end up like Jones" and motions tentacles on his chin with his fingers.

Because Jones was furious that Tia Dalma (Calypso) stood him up, he stopped doing his job that was given by her and became a monster.

As long as Will continues to do his job by taking souls to the afterworld, he'll remain normal, and not become a sea monster. Hope that helps. :wave: :cool:

darthjohnny

I've got your back bud...read up a few posts!!! :wave:

Yeah, I see it now. Thanks for the info.:wave:

Just saw the movie today...and I loved it. I can't say it was my favorite though. I guess I see them as one story and personally I love the overall scope of the three put together. They tied all loose ends and finished it up quite nicely...with leaving some room for a possible forth.

Since this is a spoilers thread, I had read somewhere on the internet after getting home that there was an interesting scene cut from the movie. This scene involved Tia Dhalma going over the process in which the Davy/Will Turner curse can be negated. If their lover is faithful after ten years, the curse is broken and they can return to land. Leaving this little nugget out is most definately why the last scene was pushed to after the credits. Interesting stuff!

Cool! That is a very interesting scene if that is indeed true. Maybe they'll include it on the DVD (although there were no deleted scenes in the Dead Man's Chest DVD :().

I was wondering how they'd get around the final scene if they do indeed to a fourth film with Will and Elizabeth in it.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom