News Pirate rooms at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to be replaced with 'under the sea' theme

Weather_Lady

There’s something about that pull down bed that just looks cheap. The top shelf I think being what looks like basic ikea furniture?
Yes, same for this photo: if you look at the shelves in the corner (which are a great idea, as far as good use of space goes), it doesn't even look like the shelf at the top level is joined tight and flush to the vertical piece, like the one below it. The impression is that of your average Ikea or Sauder self-assembled chipboard furniture, where some of the joining holes aren't lined up properly, or at the correct depth.
little-mermaid-retheming-of-pirate-rooms-at-caribbean-beach-1.jpg

Spash007

Yes, same for this photo: if you look at the shelves in the corner (which are a great idea, as far as good use of space goes), it doesn't even look like the shelf at the top level is joined tight and flush to the vertical piece, like the one below it. The impression is that of your average Ikea or Sauder self-assembled chipboard furniture, where some of the joining holes aren't lined up properly, or at the correct depth.
View attachment 681952
Yep. And even the main piece/counter is all different lengths. The counter is longer than the drawer which is longer than the piece under. And the fact these don’t sit flush with the wall doesn’t just look unappealing, but also means dust is going to build in there

SplashJacket

For some reason they are really giving me Old Key West vibes. They are fine. Not for me personally as if I'm going to stay at Disney, I'm looking for a lot more over the top theming, but they look nice for what they are. Certainly not worth more money that any other rooms there to me (if they are charging more, no idea), but they are nice.

It's a bold strategy to charge a major premium on resort rooms and then make the rooms look like they could belong to many of the major hotel chains.
Ah yes, because this is obviously just so much better than the new refurb.
1669838384597.png

1669838446881.png

Huge upgrade. Super well done like the new Grand Floridian rooms!

Last edited:

Notes from Neverland

Ah yes, because this is obviously jus yso much better than the new refurb.View attachment 681959
View attachment 681960
Huge upgrade. Super well done like the new Grand Floridian rooms!
Make no mistake, the pirate rooms weren't great. The bed sizes alone hurt them. But, it does seem silly to celebrate Disney stripping out so much of its resort theming - the thing that made them unique - across property.

SplashJacket

Make no mistake, the pirate rooms weren't great. The bed sizes alone hurt them. But, it does seem silly to celebrate Disney stripping out so much of its resort theming - the thing that made them unique - across property.
Describe your ideal room to me in an elevator pitch.

To me, the room looks like a nice room at a beach resort, with some modest Disney touches. Perfectly fits my desires. Looks a lot better than the tacky and bland contemporary refurb. Seems tasteful, clean, and inviting. Not much more I could want.

UNCgolf

The color scheme/general design of the rooms looks okay, but I agree with others that it looks like really cheap furniture. Like they bought it in bulk from IKEA and assembled it on-site.

Notes from Neverland

Describe your ideal room to me in an elevator pitch.

To me, the room looks like a nice room at a beach resort, with some modest Disney touches. Perfectly fits my desires. Looks a lot better than the tacky and bland contemporary refurb. Seems tasteful, clean, and inviting. Not much more I could want.
I understand some will love it and that's great. But, I'd say people come to Disney because it's not like any other place. At the resorts, that's not really the case when the rooms are looking more and more familiar to any other hotel. That goes into a long rant on whether it's worth it to stay on property now days, so I'll stop there.

That said, the biggest miss here is the furniture and finishings that don't look like they justify the price being charged for the room. Other posters have already said that well. It's also weird seeing Little Mermaid designs when a hotel on property covers that space already.

Zipadeelady

I understand some will love it and that's great. But, I'd say people come to Disney because it's not like any other place. At the resorts, that's not really the case when the rooms are looking more and more familiar to any other hotel. That goes into a long rant on whether it's worth it to stay on property now days, so I'll stop there.

That said, the biggest miss here is the furniture and finishings that don't look like they justify the price being charged for the room. Other posters have already said that well. It's also weird seeing Little Mermaid designs when a hotel on property covers that space already.

Of all the non Disney hotel rooms I've stayed in, none of them have looked like that. I'm assuming the large price tag is for the location which used to be horrible but now great since the skyliner is so close, which most people will pay.

SplashJacket

"The biggest miss here is the furniture and finishings that don't look like they justify the price being charged for the room"

I'd say that's an entirely valid complaint. Contemporary definitely suffers from that to an insane degree.

My disconnect is I don't know what you'd rather the rooms look like. Animal Kingdom Lodge has rooms that I think are on-theme, quality, and well done, but I don't know what theme you'd want, and that's what I'm trying to figure out. The rooms don't look like Little Mermaid at all. They seem to have removed tacky IP theming and replaced it with a beachy room with Disney nods.

Chapek says everything needs to be "more Disney" which to him means more IP, but more Disney might mean something else to you. I legitimately just want to know what you want to see when you walk into a room at Disney's Carribean Beach Resort.

AKL rooms below for reference.
1669841273606.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom