News Pirate rooms at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to be replaced with 'under the sea' theme

WDWmazprty

They were far away from the main facilities and the beds were small. That’s why we never booked these.

Remove these buildings and just build a PotC deluxe resort. IP-tie-in= Happy Bob.

I still want those Haunted Mansion rooms…
Yes! said this in the other thread:

Well, how about a whole pirate themed resort? Like them or not, the Pirates franchise made big money and still has a huge following.
A legit Pirates themed resort would do well I think and if you still want mermaids, well, mermaids and pirates definitely are in the same boat (pun intended) ...

Of course it'll never happen, but I'd stay there for sure.

Haunted Mansion rooms would also definitely do well.

Casper Gutman

While it may feel this is well suited to the resort, there is also the possibility that the demand for these rooms isn’t there any more (if it ever was) so they’re trying a different theme. Despite what some around here like to believe, there isn’t always malicious intent in changes like this. It’s often tied to data suggesting that demand for that room theme has passed and it’s time for something new.
Nobody here thinks Disney management is malicious. Ignorant of the significance of the resort and of the special challenges involved in running it, supremely arrogant and confident in abilities they don’t have, trapped in a self-created bubble of yes-men and “conventional wisdom,” greedy and straight-up incompetent, sure. But malicious? That’s a straw man, and you know it.

AEfx

Haunted Mansion rooms would also definitely do well.

Someone who doesn't have my hazy memory can chime in, but I am pretty sure that those were talked about when they did these rooms as "coming soon" but they never...materialized.

WorldExplorer

They were far away from the main facilities and the beds were small. That’s why we never booked these.

Remove these buildings and just build a PotC deluxe resort. IP-tie-in= Happy Bob.

I still want those Haunted Mansion rooms…
I vote to put them in Alligator Bayou. Super creepy in the right light.

lazyboy97o

Nobody here thinks Disney management is malicious. Ignorant of the significance of the resort and of the special challenges involved in running it, supremely arrogant and confident in abilities they don’t have, trapped in a self-created bubble of yes-men and “conventional wisdom,” greedy and straight-up incompetent, sure. But malicious? That’s a straw man, and you know it.
Not to mention the deliberate obfuscation. The problem with these rooms is not that they are pirate rooms or have some sort of relationship to the broader hotel. These rooms suffer due to their location and physical design, not their lack of yet another a character smorgasbord.

surfsupdon

I am interested in the ability to “accommodate more Guests.” Maybe this Village will become family suite style? Give it a moderate Resort category so you can offer the Value Suite but charge more?

Unrelatedly related, Spyglass Grill being open while this village is closed blows my mind!!

Tom P.

Not to mention the deliberate obfuscation. The problem with these rooms is not that they are pirate rooms or have some sort of relationship to the broader hotel. These rooms suffer due to their location and physical design, not their lack of yet another a character smorgasbord.
Perhaps, but Disney is one of the most data-driven companies in the world. And they are very good at it. Regardless of what people think about Disney making subjectively "good" or "bad" decisions, they want to sell resort rooms. They don't want unsold inventory and the Pirate rooms were not selling. I guarantee you that they have data conclusively showing that more "character smorgasboard" theming is something that appeals to guests and that they want. If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing this.

mightynine

Wheel of IP-ality turn turn turn give us the theme for rooms to churn

PiercingSnarlingArabianhorse-max-1mb.gif

lazyboy97o

Perhaps, but Disney is one of the most data-driven companies in the world. And they are very good at it. Regardless of what people think about Disney making subjectively "good" or "bad" decisions, they want to sell resort rooms. They don't want unsold inventory and the Pirate rooms were not selling. I guarantee you that they have data conclusively showing that more "character smorgasboard" theming is something that appeals to guests and that they want. If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing this.
They also had data for HarmoniUS. Creative content is just that, creative, not regurgitating data. Even then, they’re not actually that singular and Vulcan-like. They often make capricious decisions based on personal desires (see front of same park), and they know people will just make excuses like “They have data” if it doesn’t work out.

Disney4family

When we found out my son's marching band would be performing in February, we called immediately. The only rooms available were the pirate rooms. As people have said, that's not a good sign. But - I was glad they had something for the boys. There's so much for the girls.

The rooms had the fun, quirky, old-fashioned, in-your-face-theming that we expected from Disney in the past. No, they weren't perfect. Yes, they needed TLC. I don't know why Disney is avoiding their world-famous TLC for generic stuff or this "let's promote our latest, really bad, live action film that will bomb" in their resorts. Take care of the quality and the Guests will follow.

Perhaps these rooms weren't selling because they were in Trinidad - the farthest section of the resort from the main area - and not because of their theming??

Honestly, they were great for walking over the bridge and hopping on the Skyliner. We were at WDW - the magical world where reality doesn't exist. I wouldn't trade our experience - or our room for that trip - for anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom