Pirata y el Perico update

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't know if it's been posted or not... anyway, el Pirata y el Perico will be a buffet for the next few weeks... no reservations are being taken (I BELIEVE!!), rather strictly walkins there. Anyway, the menu looked ok... here's some pics from there.

Here's a pic of the menu, and of the outdoor seating area. It started tonight, and I honestly don't know how long this will go for.

Attachments

• pirata1.jpg
    pirata1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 262
  • pirata2.jpg
    pirata2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 141

dflye

mkt said:
Don't know if it's been posted or not... anyway, el Pirata y el Perico will be a buffet for the next few weeks... no reservations are being taken (I BELIEVE!!), rather strictly walkins there. Anyway, the menu looked ok... here's some pics from there.

Here's a pic of the menu, and of the outdoor seating area. It started tonight, and I honestly don't know how long this will go for.
So from perusing the menu, the only thing I'm uncertain about, what exactly is a Kansas City Steak?

Moonshadow1

A Kansas City steak, is a slightly different cut of strip loin. Same muscle that a new york strip is cut from. The remove the "tail" so it appears to be more squared off, and usually cut them thicker.

dflye

mousermerf said:
Steak from Kansas perhaps?
Well, I'm glad to see that you know as little as I do about what you are talking about sometimes.

Moonshadow1 said:
A Kansas City steak, is a slightly different cut of strip loin. Same muscle that a new york strip is cut from. The remove the "tail" so it appears to be more squared off, and usually cut them thicker.
Thanks for the information, Moonshadow1!

So the question I have, exactly why would Disney post a menu so vague about the cut of beef when I'm guessing 90% of the guests have no clue what a Kansas City steak is, versus any other well know cut of beef, such as New York, prime rib, filet mignon, porterhouse, T-bone, etc? :veryconfu

mousermerf

Account Suspended
In short - and turtle speak...

The dude who runs MK is an Epicurean-type dude. His hobby is food, little blue. It's like an obssession, cha? But not like OCD but totally like: Whoa - open a new restaurant as often as possible, whoa - that didn't work close it dude.

Pioneer Hall

I really like the idea. If they decide to do it as a regular sit down place, they are going to need to really refurb the place though. A lot more seating that is enclosed will be neccesary.

AEfx

dflye said:
So the question I have, exactly why would Disney post a menu so vague about the cut of beef when I'm guessing 90% of the guests have no clue what a Kansas City steak is, versus any other well know cut of beef, such as New York, prime rib, filet mignon, porterhouse, T-bone, etc? :veryconfu

Kansas City steak is actually pretty famous. Here is a link to the Kansas City Steak Company. From the menu, I'm not sure if they are referring to the company itself (like LTT does with Stoffers) or if they are refering to the cut of meat (I wasn't aware there was a difference until I read this thread). In either case, it's pretty well known for high-quality.

I had heard a few days ago about the change, and until I saw the menu I wasn't terribly impressed. However, that looks like a nice, down home meal - I think we'll try it out on our first night next week if we can get in. We had LTT scheduled, but it's an EMH night and all we could get was seating at the same time the fireworks are happening.

I will miss the old menu, but since I rarely could find it open anyway it's not the biggest loss. It would be nice to be able to get some nice mex at the MK regularly, but at least I can still get a nice burger. :)

AEfx

dflye

AEfx said:
Kansas City steak is actually pretty famous. Here is a link to the Kansas City Steak Company. From the menu, I'm not sure if they are referring to the company itself (like LTT does with Stoffers) or if they are refering to the cut of meat (I wasn't aware there was a difference until I read this thread). In either case, it's pretty well known for high-quality.
I guess I have lived a sheltered life in Seattle and Orlando (plus various points between, and numerous trips to other states in the US where I ate in a steak house), as I had never heard of a KC steak until this thread! :eek:

So if you were a visitor from outside of the US (which is a not too small percentage of WDW visitors!) what the heck would that steak description mean to you? :veryconfu :lookaroun

Yes, the correct answer is absolutely nothing!

So, how about someone down there at WDW tell the manager at that place that the posted menu description needs a bit on of an update? :)

AEfx

dflye said:
So if you were a visitor from outside of the US (which is a not too small percentage of WDW visitors!) what the heck would that steak description mean to you? :veryconfu :lookaroun

Yes, the correct answer is absolutely nothing!

So, how about someone down there at WDW tell the manager at that place that the posted menu description needs a bit on of an update? :)

I guess I just don't get the point. Why does it need to be "updated"? I'm sure visitors to WDW have never heard of eating a churro, or what the heck a dole-whip is (I didn't until I read about it on the Internet). That doesn't mean WDW shouldn't serve them, hehe.

It's a steak. If someone is really concerned that it's some steak from Mars, I'm sure they'll ask for a clarification. ;)

AEfx

dflye

AEfx said:
I guess I just don't get the point. Why does it need to be "updated"? I'm sure visitors to WDW have never heard of eating a churro, or what the heck a dole-whip is (I didn't until I read about it on the Internet). That doesn't mean WDW shouldn't serve them, hehe.

It's a steak. If someone is really concerned that it's some steak from Mars, I'm sure they'll ask for a clarification. ;)

AEfx
Ok, I'm sure you've heard of those parts of speech known as nouns and adjectives, right?

Steak is a noun. Churro is a noun. Dole-whip is a noun.

So how exactly is the adjective Kansas City supposed to further describe what kind of steak I'll see on the buffet? :veryconfu

I'm not saying that WDW shouldn't serve whatever kind of steak this is, they should either describe it in a universally known manner, or just call it a streak (hopefully grilled to order, as I want mine to MOO when it is served! :lol: ), plain and simple.

barnum42

What I used to like about Pirata was that you could get a filling meal for short money that was not bread related. That's no longer the case, but at least it's better than being closed, which has been the case on my last three holidays.

Moonshadow1

Kansas city is known for grilling and bar b que. To offer a Kansas city steak is considered a better cut of striploin. Don't tell someone from Kansas city that a Ny strip is better. It's not as popular right now, but back in the 20's to about the 50's they were considered far superior.

Yellow Shoes

dflye said:

So how exactly is the adjective Kansas City supposed to further describe what kind of steak I'll see on the buffet? :veryconfu

...So if you were a visitor from outside of the US (which is a not too small percentage of WDW visitors!) what the heck would that steak description mean to you?

I don't think that most steak names are especially helpful.

Furthermore, I would also suggest salad dressing names give you no clue as to what you're getting.

What exactly does buttermilk and garlic have to do with a Ranch??
Are tomato and sugar (and whatever else is in French dressing) somehow uniquely French?
Which of the Thousand Islands is famous for mayonnaise and relish?

If I weren't American, I don't know if I could make an intelligent choice for the salad, either.

righttrack

The meal looks like a nice compliment for those shut out of Liberty Tree. Given Liberty Tree's popularity, its nice to see another "down home" meal closeby. I think the menu will appeal to adults and children well, and buffets are so great on these trips because you needn't worry about slow service when you are in a hurry.

MagliteL13

Just thought I'd add that this entire shindig is actually run by catering out of the contemp. It's being run as a test run for adding another table service location to ease congestion from the others. They're only using El Pirata because it already has a kitchen, prep areas, seating, etc... The location of where the Table Service Place would go has yet to be decided--and even if they're gonna have one.

PixiePower

This is my daughters FAVORITE place to eat! She is going to be so upset if they get rid of it for good. Lets hope it is only temporary!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
dflye said:
Ok, I'm sure you've heard of those parts of speech known as nouns and adjectives, right?

I'm not saying that WDW shouldn't serve whatever kind of steak this is, they should either describe it in a universally known manner, or just call it a streak (hopefully grilled to order, as I want mine to MOO when it is served! :lol: ), plain and simple.
The same way "Chicago" describes a type of Pizza or "Philly" describes a type of steak sandwich or "Buffalo" describes a type of chicken wing. It is the English language and we make up the rules as we go along and then ignore them whenever we feel like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom