Pinocchio Village Haus - what's up with the name?

71jason

Well, it didn't always serve Italian pizza ... it was originally traditional German dishes, you know hamburgers and Frankfurters.

Yeah, ok, I've got nothing.

real mad hatter

Pinocchio is Italian, so why the German word Haus? I'm bumfoozled. There must be a reasonable explanation...
Well I never..:jawdrop:..Here is the story behind your question..:inlove:.As we all know they are many tunnels that run underneath MK..One of them leads to Pinocchio Village Haus..This one is called stairwell 1... However when constructing the tunnels,one of disney's imagineers took the wrong turning and ended up underneath It's a Small World..When he popped his head up there was 3 little piggys,and he asked them if he was in Italy..? So they replied " Nien Nien..Your in Germany..Are you here to blow down our Haus.?"...So that's why Pinocchio Village has a Haus in its name.?....o_O....And if you believe that story,then your as Mad as a Hatter..:rolleyes:..

taz0162

I never thought of this one before.
OK so after a google search here are my findings: the story was written by an Italian and Pinocchio has an alpine setting so though it is set in Northern Italy, you would certainly see some Swiss and Austrian influences where "haus" does indeed mean house. - Disboards - Micca 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM

jkl2000

Original Poster
I never thought of this one before.
OK so after a google search here are my findings: the story was written by an Italian and Pinocchio has an alpine setting so though it is set in Northern Italy, you would certainly see some Swiss and Austrian influences where "haus" does indeed mean house. - Disboards - Micca 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Yeah, the Alpine angle probably makes sense, and explains the lederhosen.

And there was already a Casa and a Cava in WDW. They didn't need another Casa.

Brerg8r

This has always been a topic of fascination for me, for a few reasons: 1) Pinocchio is my favorite animated film; 2) I worked at WDW for 15 years and remember the look and music of the Pinocchio Village Haus well; 3) The very first role I played there in the 1982 Christmas Parade ("Fantasy on Parade") was called the Tyrolian Puppet. I was one of Stromboli's dancing puppets in the street next to Stromboli's wagon, dressed up in fake fabric Lederhosen, an Alpiner hat, exaggerated puppet makeup and shoes, etc. Pinocchio and Gepetto also wore Lederhosen, and Gepetto had a distinct German accent, so although it is never overtly indicated in the film, I think the Disney version is supposed to be set in the German-speaking Alpine region of northern Italy called South Tyrolia (Südtirol), even though the original novel was I think set in Tuscany. I'm assuming that's where the people at WDW Entertainment got the idea for a "Tyrolian" puppet to be added to the MK Christmas parade (plus, my character's costume designer was Austrian or German.)

Attachments

• Mophead_0002.jpg
    Mophead_0002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 144

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This has always been a topic of fascination for me, for a few reasons: 1) Pinocchio is my favorite animated film; 2) I worked at WDW for 15 years and remember the look and music of the Pinocchio Village Haus well; 3) The very first role I played there in the 1982 Christmas Parade ("Fantasy on Parade") was called the Tyrolian Puppet. I was one of Stromboli's dancing puppets in the street next to Stromboli's wagon, dressed up in fake fabric Lederhosen, an Alpiner hat, exaggerated puppet makeup and shoes, etc. Pinocchio and Gepetto also wore Lederhosen, and Gepetto had a distinct German accent, so although it is never overtly indicated in the film, I think the Disney version is supposed to be set in the German-speaking Alpine region of northern Italy called South Tyrolia (Südtirol), even though the original novel was I think set in Tuscany. I'm assuming that's where the people at WDW Entertainment got the idea for a "Tyrolian" puppet to be added to the MK Christmas parade (plus, my character's costume designer was Austrian or German.)
Well, better late than never, I guess. Welcome to the boards!

Disney4allseasons

Love the costume, the Disney parades have the best. Good thing I don’t know where they store them! I’m lucky to be near Disneyland paris where they have the Pinocchio ride but I think Disneyland has one too. I always wondered when Disney opened the downtown Pleasure Island whether they named it after the one in the film but maybe that was just a coincdience😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom