Pinewood Derby

21stamps

Original Poster
Calling parents of Scouts or former Scouts!

I need tips on how to make a fast Derby car, please!
I read a million websites last year and watched tons of YouTube videos.. I thought I followed directions exactly, but we didn’t finish in the top. Goal this year is a trophy.. and this Mom is struggling.

The theme of kiddo’s car this year is either- Star Wars, Pirates (specifically Dead Men Tell No Tales as said inspiration), or- Christiano Ronaldo, which is unfortunately the front runner right now, and the one that I have no idea how to design. Son thinks I can draw Ronaldo kicking a ball on the car.. that’s not happening.lol
I’m open to any ideas on design or where to place weights, etc!

21stamps

Original Poster
Here’s what I cut last night following kiddo’s directions. I’m unfortunately not very skilled with a saw..so I’m going to try to sand down some of the kinks a little more. There’s quite a lot of flaws.
C3FC3E28-4498-4C89-BB53-A61A11F07FF5.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There was something with the wheels that I remember.. all 4 must be level and touching when inspected at weigh in.
If they are going to do that they you will need to concentrate on polishing your axles, lubricating them with graphite, reducing your wheel weight and most importantly, getting your weight correct and in the right location.

The current shape you have is really counter productive. You want to to be as small and as this as possible so you can put the maximum amount of weight 1 inch in front of the rear wheels.

A simple thin wedge shape like this is pretty easy to do.

images

If you have some wood working skills, this shape is much better.

standarddetonator.jpg

If you are allowed, you can actually buy kits for the body above.

One other critical thing is you need is to be able to make very fine adjustments to the weight. I found that is seemed like every scale being used was a little different. You need to be able to both take off or add very minute amounts of weight to make sure you are at the maximum amount allowed. A 5 oz car will beat a 4.9 oz one almost every time.

21stamps

Original Poster
If they are going to do that they you will need to concentrate on polishing your axles, lubricating them with graphite, reducing your wheel weight and most importantly, getting your weight correct and in the right location.

The current shape you have is really counter productive. You want to to be as small and as this as possible so you can put the maximum amount of weight 1 inch in front of the rear wheels.

A simple thin wedge shape like this is pretty easy to do.

images

If you have some wood working skills, this shape is much better.

standarddetonator.jpg

If you are allowed, you can actually buy kits for the body above.

One other critical thing is you need is to be able to make very fine adjustments to the weight. I found that is seemed like every scale being used was a little different. You need to be able to both take off or add very minute amounts of weight to make sure you are at the maximum amount allowed. A 5 oz car will beat a 4.9 oz one almost every time.

Not allowed to buy kits for the body.. only for tuning etc.

Last year I drilled a hole and put the weight inside. This year I bought weights to put on the bottom so I can adjust at final weigh in. Your thoughts on having the weights underneath the car?

Also last year we made the car in that wedge shape, because I read it was recommended. Didn’t help, and we were at 4.97oz.

This year he wanted a different shape. Final weigh in is on Wednesday. We’re going to paint the car this weekend and work on the wheels and axels. I should have brought my scale with me to the workshop last Wednesday.. I’m worried if there could be any difference between the 2.

21stamps

Original Poster
Weigh in is tonight.. we aren’t even halfway finished. Still waiting to hear if part of our design is allowed.

21stamps

Original Poster
@Master Yoda , I made a huge mistake. Apparently our track doesn’t allow for weights underneath the car. My kid spent hours designing and painting his car, only to have to cover most of it up last night with long half cylinder weights. It was too late to drill at that point.
Car was turned in.. all I care about now is if it makes it down the track.

Lesson learned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom