pin trading

oogravyoo

Original Poster
We are leaving for WDW in a little under 2 months. My girls want to do some pin trading.

What do I need to start with? Starter sets?

What rules are there with trading with cast members?

Any tips?

mousehockey37

We are leaving for WDW in a little under 2 months. My girls want to do some pin trading.

Any tips?

There are tons of threads on pin trading. Try searching for it. Just FYI, to get started will cost you some $$ and it can get rather pricey if you're not careful, just like with any hobby.

NiarrNDisney

For starters it not exactly that expensive to start! I am going to assume that you have a Party City where you live, so start by going there and have your little ones pick out a lanyard ($.99). The next step will be to go onto ebay and find a seller who offers "lots" who will price each pin anywhere from $1.00 to $3.00 a piece, get a few for each of your children and get packing for your trip!

Now the next step:
I suggest that once you get down there go to your resorts store and get a pamphlet that describes all of the rules to "Pin Trading", then go out and have some fun. Best place to start for beginners is at any of the Pin Stations which can be found in each park as well as DTD. Once you get the hang of how it all works I am certain your little ones will not need any more assistance in trading, especially if they have a character/s, theme, or type of pin they specifically are looking for. Who knows at the end of the day you may find yourself getting involved and becoming a Pin Trader too. Be aware purchasing pins from WDW stores and elsewhere can get expensive but it doesn't mean it has to, as the other poster had mentioned you can do a search here on WDWMagic and find some great info especially in the Disney Merchandise, Pin Trading & Collectibles forum where you can find tips and tricks for your new hobby.

oogravyoo

Original Poster
Thanks Niarr for the info.. I hit up Ebay later today..

My apologies for posting this in the wrong forum.. guess I should have scrolled down further. =/

oogravyoo

Original Poster
Havent sat down to look at the pin forum yet.. but I did peek at Ebay.. Im going to guess the pin lots that are cheap(which is most) are not authentic pins? or Scrappers that I read about..

will look at the pin forum tonight when I have more time to give myself a headache lol..

WLBound

We bought a lot of 100 pins on Ebay earlier this month and all are authentic. We paid around $50 with no shipping which worked out to 50 cents per pin, much better than what we paid in the park.

skimbob

Once you buy the pins on Ebay then you can trade with cast members and guests. I am a guest who does not trade because I only buy pins I like. I have kids ask me to trade and I tell them I do not trade. I always feel bad but after reading another guest's post i decided to take a page out of their book. When a child comes up and asks me to trade I hand them a pin and tell them where to go to start trading. The look on their face is priceless and I know that I have created a magical moment for them on their trip and it makes me feel good too.

RoyWalley

Once you buy the pins on Ebay then you can trade with cast members and guests. I am a guest who does not trade because I only buy pins I like. I have kids ask me to trade and I tell them I do not trade. I always feel bad but after reading another guest's post i decided to take a page out of their book. When a child comes up and asks me to trade I hand them a pin and tell them where to go to start trading. The look on their face is priceless and I know that I have created a magical moment for them on their trip and it makes me feel good too.

It's nice to read things like this. The feeling you get i can only imagine is awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

I found my old Pin trading book from back when I was younger in 2000 :D This thread makes me excited to start pin trading over again! I'm going to keep some that my parents got special for me, but now I'm going to add some from my boyfriend and I's new adventure :)

Future Imagineer

Any tips?
There are a few rules like if the cast member has a green lanyard that means they can only trade with 3-12 year old but I haven't seen one green lanyard. Another is that you can trade other pin s only Disney pins. I didn't get the starter set because I didn't like the pins. So I got a lanyard and just bought some cheap pins and traded thoughs because the cast members can't say no to you.

JB1499

Any tips?
I find that the pins that the cast member have are often not as good as the ones you have. But it definitely is fun!

oogravyoo

Original Poster
Hard at work trading..

GRFhTMT.jpg

BethWH

Where did you find your pins? I am trying to find some for my daughter to trade when we go to Disney - I think she would love it!

SirWillow

Old thread resurrected. One thing to point out- DO NOT BUY YOUR PINS ON EBAY! Those are almost all fakes and rejects (called scrappers). They are not the same quality, and there is a risk of a cast member not trading with you because they're not "official" Disney pins.

Where did you find your pins? I am trying to find some for my daughter to trade when we go to Disney - I think she would love it!

There are a number of places you can buy real ones. Online at the official Disney site shopdisney.com If you're in the Orlando area, there are a couple of Disney Character Warehouse stores at at couple of the outlet malls that will have closeout and discounted pins- great place to pick up traders. There are also a few people who sell legitimate pins on line at a good price, such as pinderellashop. Normal prices for pins in the parks start at around $10, though they also have starter sets with several pins in them, lanyards and more, and you can find them for sale all over Disney- in many of the shops, at all the resort gift shops and other places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom