Pin Trading

Dwarful

Original Poster
Ok we had a great time on our trip...the kids got totally hooked on the pin trading thing...haha...I will stock up next time I go to the DIsney Outlet in Missouri if they have them super cheap again. Here is my question though...I bought my daughter a pin at the Disney Store in StLouis before our trip..she picked out this pin that looks like a stamp says Epcot on it and USA..paid $10 for it...at the time I thought I was crazy. Well, when we were waiting to board the monorail the driver came up to my husband ( he was wearing the lanyard at the time) and said "OK lets do some pin trading" this had never happened..the kids always had to approach the CMs. Anyway my husband says "well ask her (the 5 yr old) if she wants to" and my daughter says "well I dont know"..she was pretty tired..and the CM says "OH NO...We HAVE to trade!" and is smiling and laughing and says "I have a deal for you!" so he goes back inside the monorail cab and comes out holding a pin that is from Animal Kingdom with Minnie Mouse..he says to her..."this is a real special pin, I would REALLY like to have your Epcot pin, I will give you this one" so my daughter liked the guy and made the change...he tells my husband "this is a special limited editon PAssholder Pin so dont let her trade it for just any old pin" well I went back to Disney Store and bought her another pin and it was part of series of 11 pins..she just likes the USA theme...still can someone explain the difference between a regular pin and a "passholder pin" sorry to take so long to explain the question...it was just an odd experience for us and we wondered why the guy wanted her pin so much and what is the deal with the one he gave up...he didnt have it on his lanyard so he obviously didnt want to trade it for just any pin....thanks for having the patience to read this thing through ~

Pioneer Hall

A passholder pin is a pin that Only passholders can buy. So if you guys aren't passholders then you can't get it, so for her to have made that trade she got real lucky. Those pins are had to get away from the traders.

Dizknee_Phreek

hey, Dwarful, you and your family have GOT to check out this page since you've gotten into pin trading! my friend (known on these boards as Disney Expert) introduced me to the site. you can go through the MANY pages of Disney pins and select the ones you have to put on your own page...and you can also have a page dedicated to the pins that you would like to trade, or the ones that you would like to have. i'm not one for trading...i just like to collect, so i've just made a page with the ones i have. but there's so many pages that i haven't been able to find all of mine yet. it takes a long time to go through all the pages of pins, but it sure is fun! take a look at it if you get the chance!http://www.pinpics.com/

my pins:
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
(you may have to search for my page...if you do, just go to My PinPics (on the left side of the screen) and scroll down on that page until you come to where you can enter a username...my username is dizknee_phreek) :)

juan

that's a cool site

found out that i had some rare pins
including this special one
<------------

Tramp

...there's gonna be a pin event at the Contemporary on June 29th...I received a form in the mail to pre-select pins that I want based on a random selection process that Disney uses at these events and I will have to pick them up at the Contemporary on June 29th....we will happen to be at WDW at that time...there are 6 pins that can be purchased...

...the part that makes the veins on my neck erupt is an event fee of $25 per person...when did Disney start charging a fee for pin events....I attended the huge pin event last year in August and there was no fee....how do you justify charging $25 for the privilege of purchasing $75 worth of pins?

Lhriangel

It's because pin collecting is so addicting that Disney knows they can make more money off of it. Also there is supposed to be a Pin Trading Cruise sometime next year I think but I'm not sure when.

I know when I was a castmember I got very very caught up in it and spent more money then I could afford *hehe*. And I only got about 40 some odd pins out of it.

Have fun at Disney the 29th :p That's my birthday. What I wouldn't do to be spending that day in Epcot or the Magic Kingdom instead of at home!!

TURKEY

Originally posted by Tramp

...the part that makes the veins on my neck erupt is an event fee of $25 per person...when did Disney start charging a fee for pin events....I attended the huge pin event last year in August and there was no fee....how do you justify charging $25 for the privilege of purchasing $75 worth of pins?

Since August of 2001 (the first big pin event at Epcot), I have received about 1 dozen invitations to join in these exclusive pin events. SOME of these pins are quite good looking and I would love to have them.

How is it justified? People are willing to pay that and even more. Some of the LE released at the Epcot event were already being bought for $500.

dizpins14

I have a question?? Was the EPCOT USA pin have Mickey on it in an Uncle Sam suit standing infront of the American Adventure with a little dangle saying EPCOT on it??? or is it a Goofy pin with him holdiing a bunch of packages and he is standing in front of the Statue of Liberty? Either way the cast member was not supposed to trade with you personally plus does the Minnie pin have passholder written at the bottom of it? Cause cast members have been known to lie to little kids.

TinkerBell9988

I am a huuuge pin trader/collector and have over 200 pins... which is not that many. Most traders/collectors have well over 700 pins in their collection!!!

Dwarful

Original Poster
hey dizpins...ok yes my daughters pin had Mickey like Uncle Sam with the Epcot dangle on it. she liked it because it looked like a stamp and I used to work for USPS and because she loves anything American. Also the Pin that the monorail driver traded her for says Passholder on it and then again on the back it says it and says "limited editon 7500" words might be slightly different the pin is two flights up....but it was limit of 7500 but that is all imprinted on the back of the pin...the front does say Passholder..We didnt know what that meant since we arent passholders...didnt know if only AP people could buy it, or if they got it for renewing passes, or what the story was...like I said this was the only time where a CM approached us...took us by surprise..but it didnt BOTHER us....I couldnt see the big deal like why he would lie to her since I knew I had just bought it 4 days before at the Disney Store but we are new to the pin trading so anything is possible.

dizpins14

You found the EPCOT pin at your local Disney Store?!!?! I've been looking for that pin to complete my stamp pin set for a while and they were supposed to be only sold at Disney World. Where is this Disney Store and do you think they have anymore? Most of the time the stores are very nice about shipping items to other Disney Stores around the country and with the Disney Store people knowing me well I'm sure they will help in the search for this pin.

Dwarful

Original Poster
Wow, I had no idea she picked such a hot item...the Disney Store I bought it at is located at St.Louis Union Station in St.Louis Missouri. I live in Illinois but not too far from StLouis. I bought the pin right before we went to Disney..so that would have been May 24th. They had several then. No wonder the CM was so insistent about getting to trade...he must be after the same set. How many are in the set ? When did they start selling them? There are four different Disney Stores in StLouis...I will get the phone book out and get the phone numbers if you want them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom