Pin trading - can someone explain?

Holly

Original Poster
We'll be visiting WDW over T'giving - I haven't been there in over 25 years and the rest of my family has never been - and I keep hearing things about "pin trading"

Could someone please help me out by explaining the concept? Do you buy pins there only - or at Disney stores too? Obviously, you "trade 'em" (hence the name - LOL!) but how exactly ... I read somewhere not to wear a pin you don't want to trade because someone may want to trade with you ... ????

I don't get it ... anyone help me out here? :)

mousecar

Don't worry, no one will "take" your favorite pin from your lanyard, or hat, or wherever you're wearing it. If someone offers you don't have to agree. If you bring a pin that you want to trade you can look at CMs lanyards and pick one you'd like to swap. It's really quite fun.

Yellow Shoes

Every CM wears a lanyard with 12 pins on it. They cannot refuse a legitimate trade. The pins you trade must be metal cloisonne types that say "Disney" on the back. There have been some great sales on these at the Disney stores; you might want to stock up before you go.

At WDW, pins start at about $6 and up from there.

One tip: the rubber backs stay on MUCH better than the metal ones. My son had his pins on his hat (that thing weighed a TON!!) and nearly lost some when the metal backs fell off. You can buy a bag of rubber backs--I highly recommend this investment.

There is more information at Deb's site:

http://www.wdwig.com/mil_pin.htm

Holly

Original Poster
Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Every CM wears a lanyard with 12 pins on it. They cannot refuse a legitimate trade. The pins you trade must be metal cloisonne types that say "Disney" on the back. There have been some great sales on these at the Disney stores; you might want to stock up before you go.

At WDW, pins start at about $6 and up from there.

One tip: the rubber backs stay on MUCH better than the metal ones. My son had his pins on his hat (that thing weighed a TON!!) and nearly lost some when the metal backs fell off. You can buy a bag of rubber backs--I highly recommend this investment.

There is more information at Deb's site:

http://www.wdwig.com/mil_pin.htm

Just want to get this straight ... you can go up to a CM, say "I wanna trade you this pin for that one" and they just trade ya?

Oh, very very cool!! My girls are going to love this!

And thanks for the website link ... I'm going to check it out now! :)

Yellow Shoes

Just want to get this straight ... you can go up to a CM, say "I wanna trade you this pin for that one" and they just trade ya?

Yup

That's the deal

However, I found it a little weird, because in order to look closely at the pins on the lanyard, one must direct one's gaze to the....um....bosom of female CMs.:eek:

RobFL

Account Suspended
The rules:

If a CM has more than one limited edition or CM only pin, then it's one per group.

CM's can only trade for pins they're not already wearing.

Not all CM's wear lanyards (nor are we supposed to).

We also accept pins from operating participants like American Express, Kodak, and McDonalds. The DStore traders do not.

Hints:

If show up early morning, you have a much better chance of trading away seed pins, such as the Minnie/Mickey starter lanyard pinss, the American Express White Glove Treatment pin, and the strange little pin with Mickey in the yellow plane that no one knows where it came from but everyone has it.

The best pins to "trade away" are those of obscure Disney characters. That way, we're almost guaranteed not to have it. Then again, the more obscure, the more likely it is ti catch someone elses eye, and traded away from yet another Mickey by the end of the day. It's typical to see nothing but lanyards covered with "seeds" and various Mickeys by the end of a day.

-Rob

Quentin Disney

Originally posted by RobFL
the strange little pin with Mickey in the yellow plane that no one knows where it came from but everyone has it.

Ahh! The infamouse Mickey in Airplane pin. That pin comes from the Walt Disney Travel Co. When one books the vacation with the WDTC, they usually get special features such a free pin for trading. A LOT of guests have these and they are always hard to ditch at times. The one I'm seeing a lot now on lanyards is the 100 years pin w/ Mickey Painting. For some odd reason, it was impossible to find last year and now its everywhere.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Cast System.

I think we should point out here that the Disney Pins are not for everyone. Certain pins are available only to cast members, Disney Club members and other restricted groups. Cast members are cautioned not to trade their "exclusive" pins yet those same pins are widely available (for a price). In short, the pin trading deal is just a money making deal for Disney and I say more power to them! Buy a pin worth less than a penny for $6.00. Perhaps this will help Disney, but I doubt it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom