Pin Trading after reopening; Still on, or just a memory?

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Will CMs still trade pins once the parks reopen? Seems like a way to pass "the vid" onto unsuspecting guests and CMs. As many details are still unknown about specific operations, I'm thinking that this will be temporarily suspended until, well, who knows? Anyone have an inside scoop?

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
No insight but I'm expecting hand to hand trading between CM's and guests to be halted temporarily. But hopefully they'll at least keep the boards out and allow guest-to-guest trading. Then guests can choose whether they feel safe enough to trade or not.
My thoughts exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the boards stay behind the counter a bit more than usual.

AndyS2992

I have a huge pin collection however have never traded due to all the fakes out there from people buying those cheap lots on ebay of fake pins and then trading them out for real ones from unsuspecting people which completely sucked any fun or interest in it that I had. In fact I'd probably welcome an end to trading, with CMs anyway, guest to guest trading can't be regulated.

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have a huge pin collection however have never traded due to all the fakes out there from people buying those cheap lots on ebay of fake pins and then trading them out for real ones from unsuspecting people which completely sucked any fun or interest in it that I had. In fact I'd probably welcome an end to trading, with CMs anyway, guest to guest trading can't be regulated.
Some people ask me why I carry magnets.

thomas998

No insight but I'm expecting hand to hand trading between CM's and guests to be halted temporarily. But hopefully they'll at least keep the boards out and allow guest-to-guest trading. Then guests can choose whether they feel safe enough to trade or not.
I doubt they will stop it. All you need to do is have the guest push the pin into the board and the CM remove the one they want and put their back on it and then hand it to them. They aren't going to be giving away mouse ears and will still be taking money for those things and handing guests back change so why would a pin be any different from the exchange of money that happens all over Disney. Not to mention why would they shut down a marketing gimmick that drives the sale of a high margin item like a pin? I can't see them stopping it as it would be hurting their pin sales and that's some serious money when you think about a pin that cost 10 dollars and probably cost Disney 10 cents.

thomas998

Some people ask me why I carry magnets.
I just hope you know that it will only catch some of the fakes... not all fakes use magnetic material and it will do nothing in catching the backdoor pins where the factor was just over producing or handing off real pins that didn't pass the quality control. I find it best to simply assume every pin on a pin board is fake and only trade for it if you like it. In the end real or fake the pins are worth anymore than what you or someone is willing to pay for them and most will never be worth more than the original price they sold for... though I've known some people that seem to think they are some hot collectible I just laugh and think of past people that thought Beanie Babies were collectibles and bought them think they would be worth lots in the future... course I can find some of the ones they spend 40 or 50 dollars on when the Beanie Baby market was big for less than a dollar a garage sale or flea market.

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just hope you know that it will only catch some of the fakes... not all fakes use magnetic material and it will do nothing in catching the backdoor pins where the factor was just over producing or handing off real pins that didn't pass the quality control. I find it best to simply assume every pin on a pin board is fake and only trade for it if you like it. In the end real or fake the pins are worth anymore than what you or someone is willing to pay for them and most will never be worth more than the original price they sold for... though I've known some people that seem to think they are some hot collectible I just laugh and think of past people that thought Beanie Babies were collectibles and bought them think they would be worth lots in the future... course I can find some of the ones they spend 40 or 50 dollars on when the Beanie Baby market was big for less than a dollar a garage sale or flea market.
We trade and collect what we like. And yes, the magnets are surely not a catch all for fakes. I most enjoy the hunt to complete a set, then trade away for the next. Kids love to see all the pins, and it's fun to give some away too. I doubt the kids know what's real or fake.

thomas998

We trade and collect what we like. And yes, the magnets are surely not a catch all for fakes. I most enjoy the hunt to complete a set, then trade away for the next. Kids love to see all the pins, and it's fun to give some away too. I doubt the kids know what's real or fake.
If they are like mine they don't know and don't care which is real or fake. The just do it for the fun of it either because they like them or once in a while as a contest between them to see who can get the most Mickeys or Plutos or whatever character they decide to chase for the day. But they only use junk pins for trading because I got way to annoyed with them trading real pins when they first started and ending up with clearly cheap junk pins. I would say after any given day of trading with CMs that they might be getting 3 percent real pins and the rest junk pins... and when I use the word junk pins I'm not saying pure fakes I consider any pin that is either clearly a fake, or a backdoor pin or even one of those real pins that was maybe one of 8 that was sold as a set to get people started as junk pins... which if you don't want to go down the road of using the junkers off ebay you can often get from one of the local Disney outlets for a low price, I know one trip we stopped there and picked up several sets of pins for trading simply because the per pin price of them was under 2 dollars simply because they were starter pin sets that Disney couldn't sell. So you can get cheap trading pins that are legit if you want to.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
e74a6a0efe16657aa417501508e938bc.jpg

I assume pin-trading will cease to exist in the post-Covid Disney World.

Giss Neric

Person to person pin trading will not happen but pins on boards I guess will still continue. They should spray the pins on the boards with disinfectant after each pin trade.

I just hope guests won't abuse it if CMs are not really close to them monitoring what they are doing. Only 2 trades people and trade, don't just get it.

Jon81uk

In the grand scheme of things, passing a pin between two people at arms reach isn't a significant risk, but try to keep 6ft apart and wash your hands after handling the pins.
Probably good idea to wash your hands after handling pins anyway and should be happening prior to Coronavirus.

I expect as most are saying pin trading may continue in a more low key format.

Raineman

In all of the discussions on this forum regarding how the parks will operate after opening, is the discussion based on the short term after reopening, or on a long term/permanent basis? There will be changes in the short term, no doubt about that, but for some of this to change permanently-I don't understand that point of view. It's like some people think that we'll never have close contact with other people ever again, even after vaccination. I think most people will be more careful than they were before, but I think the long term effects on WDW are being overblown.

JIMINYCR

Pin Trading has been something that I include in my WDW trip experience. I hope it never entirely goes away. I'm sure theres going to be some policy regarding the trading process factored in with other changes. Utilizing pin boards or only hand gloved trading either way will allow it to go on. Theres still some good trades there to be found/made, despite the bulk scrapper buyers who trade.

I've never understood pin trading. Why would I want to trade something I specifically chose to purchase for something else?
Obviously plenty of people like it and enjoy it, but the whole concept doesn't make sense to me (unless you can get free pins somehow and trade those for ones you actually want).
Thank You....... Somebody had to say it.
I've never understood the idea also.
People collect certain themes or characters and decide over time to alter what they keep in their collections and trade away. Some pins have more personal value to you than others and others not, so they are looked at as tradable. Sometimes trading pin for pin just to trade and start conversations is a reason. Also buying pins in bulk ( not all are scrappers if you purchase from known dealers in real pins) you will have some you keep, while others you trade away. I can understand how some non-pin traders cant understand the fun of pin trading or what you can get out of doing it, but we all enjoy different Disney experiences and for a large part of us who have pin traded for years and have extensive collections... it is something that adds to our Disney park day. By the way, my DS cant stand pin trading and hates it when we go together and I take time look at CM lanyards for trades. :D:D

Phonedave

Thank You....... Somebody had to say it.

I've never understood the idea also.

I'm in the same camp for regular pins. However I understand it with the mystery pins, where you don't know what pin you are getting. You could have doubles and might want to trade them for ones you don't have. Or maybe you have people who bought multiples of limited edition pins in order to trade for other limited edition pins. There are also CM only pins that you can get only via trading.

Maybe in the future it becomes "you throw your pin in the tub of sanitized and I throw mine, then we take each others"

-dave

HongKongFooy

I targeted one pin at Disney Sea and another that caught my eye at DL Paris ......both hard to get considering I was coming out of San Francisco......especially the Paris one. I had a Disney Sea lanyard with 2 special (at least to me)pins and 2 pins only on it. Even if someone offered me 20 pins I would have never taken the trade.

My in-law told me(say 15 years back before I even knew about such trading) don't wear that lanyard at WDW because if a kid comes up to you and wants the pin, according to custom and accepted social practices I was required to trade. It sounded ridiculous and I dismissed it as nonsense and told her custom or no custom ain't nobody be gettin these pins. She was very ticked at me.

Was there any such social custom or rule about "forced" trades at any time????

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I targeted one pin at Disney Sea and another that caught my eye at DL Paris ......both hard to get considering I was coming out of San Francisco......especially the Paris one. I had a Disney Sea lanyard with 2 special (at least to me)pins and 2 pins only on it. Even if someone offered me 20 pins I would have never taken the trade.

My in-law told me(say 15 years back before I even knew about such trading) don't wear that lanyard at WDW because if a kid comes up to you and wants the pin, according to custom and accepted social practices I was required to trade. It sounded ridiculous and I dismissed it as nonsense and told her custom or no custom ain't nobody be gettin these pins. She was very ticked at me.

Was there any such social custom or rule about "forced" trades at any time????
Absolutely not between guests. Cast members will trade anything that is a Disney pintrader.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom