Pictures of the Disney Inn?

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Over the years I've become very interested in the former hotel the Disney Inn, but there seems to be so few photos and information about it online. I've seen plenty pictures of the sign, but none of the lobby, rooms, etc.

Does anyone have some unique pictures or stories of the resort? It always seems to be forgotten when talked about Walt Disney World's past. I'd love for it to make a comeback in some way.

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
The Golf resort....which became the Disney Inn....is now the Shades of Green military resort.

Correct, I've seen some pictures of the Shades of Green resort, I'm not sure how much of a difference design wise it is to when it was the Disney Inn, and the Golf Resort before it.

So much change lol

UNCgolf

I stayed at the Disney Inn when I was a little kid (probably 4 or 5) but I remember almost nothing about it -- just have a vague memory of playing in the room with some pirate stuff I got from the Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney Inn in its ultimate form:

342E690F-859B-4665-8567-FB78FCF5AA8A.jpeg

Shades of Green:

F6D9F5EE-1EE7-4F2E-96CE-D8B7DF6E9243.jpeg

Last edited:

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Disney Inn in its ultimate form:

View attachment 459074

Shades of Green:

View attachment 459075
I never realized how close the resort is to the Magic Kingdom. From everything I've read about it, the reaction has always been "it's too out of the way and not on the monorail line" but it seems like such a short drive from the Polynesian/Grand Floridian. I just assumed it would be located away from the parks (not really sure where that would be, but at least not close to seven seas lagoon).

lazyboy97o

I never realized how close the resort is to the Magic Kingdom. From everything I've read about it, the reaction has always been "it's too out of the way and not on the monorail line" but it seems like such a short drive from the Polynesian/Grand Floridian. I just assumed it would be located away from the parks (not really sure where that would be, but at least not close to seven seas lagoon).
It's not unusual to see families walking to the Polynesian to catch the monorail.

Simba’s Mom

I always wondered if you could dine over there while staying at WDW? Does anyone know? Can you call and make reservations at Mangionos (or whatever the fine dining is called)? Eat at the QS place? And if so, is there bus transportation, or do you need to drive? It's very common for us to drive over to another resort and eat at their QS when we're staying at OKW, so wondered about this.

lazyboy97o

I always wondered if you could dine over there while staying at WDW? Does anyone know? Can you call and make reservations at Mangionos (or whatever the fine dining is called)? Eat at the QS place? And if so, is there bus transportation, or do you need to drive? It's very common for us to drive over to another resort and eat at their QS when we're staying at OKW, so wondered about this.
The dining facilities are not open to the general public. The closest you can do is Chip 'n' Dale's Deli which is part of the golf offerings.

Figgy1

Premium Member
You need resort or military ID to board the busses. The food isn't really worth a trip over, grab and go

Robbiem

I remember reading back in the day that the table service (called something like the garden grill) was a favourite of Disney management as it was quiet, it was famous for its french fried ice cream

i think before it closed there was some sort of snow white overlay.

i wonder if Disney would make the same deal nowaday, I could see this being a prime DVC site

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I remember reading back in the day that the table service (called something like the garden grill) was a favourite of Disney management as it was quiet, it was famous for its french fried ice cream

i think before it closed there was some sort of snow white overlay.

i wonder if Disney would make the same deal nowaday, I could see this being a prime DVC site

There was a sit down restaurant back in the day. The one time my family and I went to the Disney Inn it was either in 1987 or 1988 we ate lunch at the Disney Inn at the restaurant there. I remember my mom had heard about it being a favorite of Disney management and sure enough there were some manager or upper level people at the table next to us. My mom was notorious for eavesdropping on other's conversations in public so I remember we were told to be quiet during the lunch so she could listen in case they were saying something interesting. I don't remember what we ate but it was good. We were supposed to stay at the Disney Inn on our next trip but the Caribbean Beach was brand new and my mom booked a few nights there and then the Disney Inn. We spent our first few nights at the CB and decided we liked it and cancelled our stay at the Disney Inn for more nights at the CB. My mom asked us if we were okay staying at the CB for longer and my sister and I said yes, now I regret that and wished we had moved our resort as planned.

Nemo14

They do an Octoberfest thing on select nights in the fall that is very good. I'm not sure if it's open to the general public, but you don't have to be a guest there for it. We went with my SIL who is retired military, and had a great time at very reasonable prices.

Nemo14

They do an Octoberfest thing on select nights in the fall that is very good. I'm not sure if it's open to the general public, but you don't have to be a guest there for it. We went with my SIL who is retired military, and had a great time at very reasonable prices.
Found this from the 2019 Octoberfest. I'm fairly sure that this was open to the public when we went a few years ago. Food was great, good band, balloon animals for the kids, and good drinks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom