News Pickeball comes to Walt Disney World

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pickleball is now available at several of WDW tennis courts including Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village, and Disney’s Old Key West Resort. Complimentary equipment is available at each court.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the modified tennis court at Contemporary

Bay-Lake-Tower-at-Disneys-Contemporary-Resort_Full_51538.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's following the trends of popularity. Televised Tennis has been dropping viewership in the US for years at both the collegiate and professional levels. I could see them replacing the golf courses with something else as well.

surfsupdon

Dad and I took a weekend down at Disney for a hotel stay, some nice food, and tons of pickleball back in mid March (we were tired of the NJ cold). At that point, only Yacht and OKW had finished courts.

Worth noting-- pickleball is available to ALL WDW Resort Guests, not just the guests of that specific Resort. You just needed to show a MB or Key Card to be given the equipment.

UNCgolf

It's following the trends of popularity. Televised Tennis has been dropping viewership in the US for years at both the collegiate and professional levels. I could see them replacing the golf courses with something else as well.

I think that's pretty unlikely. If they were going to do it, it would have made more sense to do it 10 years ago -- not now, when golf's popularity is skyrocketing and courses are absolutely slammed all the time. All the public courses near me are almost fully booked morning through late afternoon a week out, even on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and private clubs that were offering discounts to get people to join a few years ago have jacked up their initiation fees and have wait lists for new members.

That said, I don't know if Disney's courses are that busy, because I'm not sure how many people at WDW want to take the time to play golf (and there are tons of other options in the area), but in general the golf industry is in a massive boom phase at the moment.

Last edited:

Drdcm

I think that's pretty unlikely. If they were going to do it, it would have made more sense to do it 10 years ago -- not now, when golf's popularity is skyrocketing and courses are absolutely slammed all the time.

I don't know if Disney's courses are that busy, because I don't know how many people at WDW want to take the time to play golf, but in general the golf industry is in a massive boom phase at the moment. All the public courses near me are almost fully booked morning through late afternoon a week out, even on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Interestingly, I know a few different people who go to Disney exclusively to golf and for the resorts. They don’t go into the parks at all. I think Disney is a pretty decent golf destination.

UNCgolf

Interestingly, I know a few different people who go to Disney exclusively to golf and for the resorts. They don’t go into the parks at all. I think Disney is a pretty decent golf destination.

That's interesting. I've played one of the Disney courses and they're fine but not anything special IMO -- but there aren't really any special public courses in the Orlando area anyways. Streamsong between Tampa/Orlando is the closest place that has really top of the line public resort courses.

What the crap is pickleball?

It's like tennis, but on a smaller court using solid paddles and a smaller ball, less bouncy ball. It's also MUCH louder than tennis, so they'll probably have to be careful about location and/or people playing early in the morning or late in the evening (not sure if they have opening/closing times for the courts).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

That's interesting. I've played one of the Disney courses and they're fine but not anything special IMO -- but there aren't really any special public courses in the Orlando area anyways. Streamsong between Tampa/Orlando is the closest place that has really top of the line public resort courses.

It's like tennis, but on a smaller court using paddles and a smaller ball, less bouncy ball. It's also MUCH louder than tennis, so they'll probably have to be careful about location and/or people playing early in the morning or late in the evening (not sure if they have opening/closing times for the courts).

It's ping pong on a tennis court, using a bigger paddle and a wiffle ball.
Hm. Sounds like something I definitely don't want to do outside in Orlando Florida.

Soluna16

Don't they do disc golf at the smaller/less nice golf course? Or maybe it's just foot golf.

It's just foot golf. Orlando has some of the best Disc Golf courses in Florida and since Disc Golf exploded the last two years I'm surprised Disney hasn't cashed in on having a "Disney themed" course nearby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom