News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

NelleBelle

Love how they can pay to keep “Walt Disney” Swan/Dolphin and then crap out on everything that would go along with being an an actual WDW resort. They certainly don’t mind paying for THAT to lure the paying customer in. This whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth and layoffs are reportedly still coming for these two resorts. Sad.

UNCgolf

Disney won’t be having bus drivers verifying that you are staying at a participating resort for transportation anytime soon. Easy if this was 1971 and you could show your paper based Transportation Admission Ticket. Not so easy in 2020, when someone is flashing their nondescript MagicBand/Card/Phone. Costly and time consuming.

Number one problem is that they’d need to provide a secure and consistent wireless network connection that they have at the main entrances/resort security booths to check resort credentials.

Then there’s the cost of outfitting the drivers with handheld devices as it would be way too much to outfit the fleet with a touch point. That’s devices plural since you’d need back up devices if one has a low charge or stops working. Likely some sort of charging system would have to be considered since there’s no way they would be able to provide device support if the driver is at a remote resort bus stop versus the major park hubs.

On top of that, you would need to provide training for those Cast Members to operate said devices. Support teams to maintain and repair them.

Lots of money would be lost for the fraction of people who walk over from the Swalphin to use WDW Transportation. Plus it would significantly slow down the loading time for the busses. Disney would be stupid to do this.

Exactly this. A more detailed explanation of what I was saying.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Love how they can pay to keep “Walt Disney” Swan/Dolphin and then crap out on everything that would go along with being an an actual WDW resort. They certainly don’t mind paying for THAT to lure the paying customer in. This whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth and layoffs are reportedly still coming for these two resorts. Sad.
You know why they have to do this right now right? These aren't meant to be permanent changes.

Cesar R M

You know why they have to do this right now right? These aren't meant to be permanent changes.
thats what PR guys say when they are cost cutting and then using these cost cuts in "X crisis" to boost their numbers later on.
"Look! We managed to maintain operations while using 20% less people!"

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Whats what PR guys say when they are cost cutting and then using these cost cuts in "X crisis" to boost their numbers later on.
"Look! We managed to maintain operations while using 20% less people!"
That might be true but we don't know that yet. I tend to try to be positive, but time will only tell.

Robbiem

I remember when this happened at the Disney spring resorts in the 90s. When we first stayed In 1991 we got Disney Transport direct to the then new MK bus station. when we returned in 93 it had changed to a private company stopping at the TTC. We didn’t like the change. Buses to MK were really crowded and you often couldn’t board. We used to go to Epcot and take the monorail or walk to what was then the marketplace and take a bus to the TTC or a MK resort.

This was when Disney was in its hotel building phase so making Disney owned resorts more appealing than third parties helped to grow their business (when we returned we stayed at Dixie Landings for example). I wonder if a similar thing is going on with the current low occupancy rates?

TrainsOfDisney

Whenever I stay at the Wyndham, Hilton, or Holiday Inn I walk to Springs and take the Disney bus. Gives me an excuse to get a Starbucks Reserve on the Clover and maybe a pastry at Erin Mckenna’s.

I did take the Disney springs bus from ttc one night when it was raining, that’s a long walk back in the rain! Appreciated them dropping me off right at the door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom