PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

Texas84

I'm slowly coming to terms with the store change. Don't like it, but can't do anything about it. That being said, has anyone shopped there yet in it's new incarnation? What is your experience?
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't like it from the pictures posted here but it's much better in person. Bright, open and some fun elements added.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't like it from the pictures posted here but it's much better in person. Bright, open and some fun elements added.
I may have mentioned this earlier but it's great that it's brighter and more open (which it certainly needed) but they could have done this without removing what made that store special and whimsical.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I was only able to spend maybe 5 minutes in the new World of Disney store on January 18. The thing I noticed the most was that there was nothing drawing me into the store. Enter on one side and you can see the other side of the store. Before there were visual weinies to attempt to draw you further into the store, but those are gone now in favor of the "open air" design. It was also a confusing mess, as at least previously you mostly knew what room had what merchandise, but that may very well be because I didn't have much time to navigate and get the lay of the store before we were onto Ghirardelli for dessert.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I’m here now and it’s just so disappointing. Nothing here that makes me feel like I’m at Disney. Functionally it’s much better, but aesthetically it’s terrible and industrial. Big fail but it won’t matter cause the masses will still come

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m here now and it’s just so disappointing. Nothing here that makes me feel like I’m at Disney. Functionally it’s much better, but aesthetically it’s terrible and industrial. Big fail but it won’t matter cause the masses will still come

Yes, yes they will. The night I was there it was packed. Both ramps were almost at capacity, long lines for food, stores full. Not sure how busy the cash registers were at all the stores, but there were plenty of people there.

aladdin2007

agree and this is happening property wide with every makeover they do, won't be much Disney left as we knew it. This store in particular is a big giant mess with no rhyme or reason just way too many cast members with nothing to do breathing down your neck and in the way when your trying to look or shop. Its bad enough with the hundreds of guests much less cast too. Not impressed with the merch these days anymore either its become generic too, but thats another thread I guess.

KBLovedDisney

It will never be the same...
saddest-cat-luhu-maggie-liu-lanlan731-89-59c0c1211f4a0__700.jpg

I am Timmy

My kids were so disappointed when we were there in December (they are adults now), and that's when it was at least decorated for xmas. I don't know what it looks like without the extra decorations, but my family felt that xmas everywhere couldn't even save it. They said it felt like the Disney section at JC Penney - and when they mentioned that, I could see it. We didn't buy, and didn't see hardly anyone at the registers even though the store was packed.

KBLovedDisney

Had a thought yesterday in regards to the World of Disney refurbishment. Do you think one of the higher ups just walked in to the place one day and told it to grow up? Because that is what it feels like to me. Someone said, "oh this store is just too young and needs to grow up" and in so doing, the store's decor was changed from the imaginative minds of young children to the boring straightforward age of the mid-adult years that was told at some point to suppress their imagination.
giphy.gif

Yes. I am still very bitter about this because it is (or now was) the main reason I go to Disney Springs.
:mad::cry::bawling:

DisneyFreak

We were there a few days before Christmas. The store was packed, as usual, and the checkout lines were long. I thought it was much easier to get through the store and browse but I didn't feel like I was even on Disney property. That has always been part of the appeal of going to Downtown Disney. If the Suits want to adultize Disney Springs...fine, but at least keep the original Marketplace area Disneyized.

aladdin2007

We were there a few days before Christmas. The store was packed, as usual, and the checkout lines were long. I thought it was much easier to get through the store and browse but I didn't feel like I was even on Disney property. That has always been part of the appeal of going to Downtown Disney. If the Suits want to adultize Disney Springs...fine, but at least keep the original Marketplace area Disneyized.

That is what bothers me the most,,,and the same thing is happening to the resorts and rooms, and into the parks too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Had a thought yesterday in regards to the World of Disney refurbishment. Do you think one of the higher ups just walked in to the place one day and told it to grow up? Because that is what it feels like to me. Someone said, "oh this store is just too young and needs to grow up" and in so doing, the store's decor was changed from the imaginative minds of young children to the boring straightforward age of the mid-adult years that was told at some point to suppress their imagination.
giphy.gif

Yes. I am still very bitter about this because it is (or now was) the main reason I go to Disney Springs.
:mad::cry::bawling:
The redesign was done in order to increase sales. It was felt that the themed store did not properly highlight the merchandise on offer, where the new simpler store makes the merchandise the star of the environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom