PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

mm121

I've been critical of this makeover since it was announced (worked at WoD when I was in college, I'll be the first to admit I have a bias). I can say that it's better than I expected.

I was afraid the floor would be concrete, so this is a much better look than I anticipated and it's still not complete. My guess is that more color will be seen as it finishes up, through special effects and lighting.

The only thing I hate is the lack of a real ceiling. I hate the trend and personally find it tacky (I know some like it, it's just my personal opinion). Maybe they'll fill in the space with something, I don't know, but I hope so. The bricks and woodwork that I've seen is nice. The wide space is nice (and needed). I love the tile/wood floor choice, looks nice and will make it easier for people on wheels (strollers and chairs) to get around.

Overall, could be better, but it could have been a lot worse. Outside of the ceiling, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I look forward to seeing the final version so I can judge it more fairly. I do agree that the more open floor space though is a huge advantage.
They really should have made the roof treatment consistent rather than switching from part drywall/metal beams to exposed steel full open like you see pretty much everywhere

I know why Wal-Mart does it to save money but then again it's Wal-Mart so we don't expect it to be themed or have a backstory.

Would be curious to know how this is explained other than just going with the it was expanded overtime.

Seems dumb they went to the effort to make the expansion blend in for them to with this redo not try to hide it at all

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
That’s it! World of Disney won’t see one red cent of mine! I’m buying all of my park merchandise at the Emporium or Mouse Gear! That’ll stick it to the Bobs!

The above statement is ludicrous; however, the Emporium and Mouse Gear have leapfrogged over WoD as my go to places for park merchandise. Shopping experience matters, and I want to be reminded I’m at WDW.

mm121

I'm sorry but this is one of the most insane things Disney has ever done. Take everything magical about Disney and characters out of a "World of Disney" store?! They think this is gonna inspire me to buy more?! The opposite! I have absolutely no reason to go in this store anymore! Bad move Disney. TERRIBLE idea! Shame on you!
If anything with online shopping, stores need to become even more of an experience
Something special to make us want to go there, woulda been great to maybe have a spot for characters to occasionally randomly appear.
I know why they'd never put a full time meet and greet outside of the parks but needf something to bring in some whimsy and fun asnd excitement
If those empty spaces are for video screens this is gonna be even crappier

MickeyCB

It isn't as bad as the apple store white that was predicted when the renovation was announced, but I definitely will miss the wonderful disney barf of colors that assaulted you upon entering the store.
My bigger concern is the acoustics with the larger open rooms with no carpet, drapes etc. and (a few) high volume children on a busy night.

L651419

It isn't as bad as the apple store white that was predicted when the renovation was announced, but I definitely will miss the wonderful disney barf of colors that assaulted you upon entering the store.
My bigger concern is the acoustics with the larger open rooms with no carpet, drapes etc. and (a few) high volume children on a busy night.
there will be no children. They will not be interested and think it quite boring...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The new store looks amazing. I'm so glad Disney is doing away with that horrendous and tacky and truly ugly design of the original...it literally deserved to be burned down. This new design fits the vibe of the incredible Disney springs!! Way to go to who ever approved this 're imagining!!!!!!
yikes...

RyMickey

Upon seeing the pictures and watching a walk-through video, this was my immediate thought as well. With the open ceilings and lack of carpet, the cacophony present could be awful.

That said, I don’t mind the look. It’s not as special, but it definitely looks more spacious than before and frankly World of Disney was often an uncomfortable experience when it was super crowded. I also like how it seems to be tied in to the whole Disney Springs aesthetic.

I am Timmy

My son was this store's biggest fan. He is going to hate it (I hope I'm wrong). He does not like the industrial look to begin with. When I told him Writer's Stop was closing, he was upset (we always used to in there and let the kids pick out books). When we went to Baseline Taphouse to check it out, he was so disappointed I had to walk around HS with my giant, delicious, bavarian pretzel rather than stay and eat it. I felt for him, and understood. It is nice, but not Disney or even unique. I don't mind industrial, personally, but have to admit it does not say "Disney". I live in an area with tons of wineries, and all of the tasting rooms and restaurants have gone the same direction. I'll reserve judgement for when I can see it in person.

KBLovedDisney

I will say this, the openness is the only plus I am seeing so far. However, there is such a huge lack in imagination as far as decor goes.

I just really really really hope the effects that will be brought in will give it a little bit of life. If it is just screens?...I will be even more disappointed.

KBLovedDisney

I would love to be lead designer on any projects that bring some the ugly 90s trashy styles found across property up to more modern and sleek designs. Just face it, you and everyone else who hates this incredible new design has poor tatste. But what else can you can expect on a forum that’s become a cesspool for middle aged adults to moan about fake degradation of the worlds greatest theme park destinations
Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine...:rolleyes:

Nextinline

This is one place I wouldn't mind seeing an IP take-over. Why not theme areas of the store to popular Disney characters/movies/brands? They'll shoehorning in IP anywhere they can in the parks, but the thematic integrity of Disney Springs can't be compromised?!

Casper Gutman

I would love to be lead designer on any projects that bring some the ugly 90s trashy styles found across property up to more modern and sleek designs. Just face it, you and everyone else who hates this incredible new design has poor tatste. But what else can you can expect on a forum that’s become a cesspool for middle aged adults to moan about fake degradation of the worlds greatest theme park destinations
I honestly have no idea what you think Disney is. Because as far as I’m aware, Disney is fantasy. Baroque. Excessive. Even Disney locations meant to invoke the real world - Frontierland, say, or the AKL, do so in a way that exaggerates. It’s all hyperreality. It’s a place outside the real.

It is not sleek or minimalist. It’s not Apple. It’s not faux-industrial. It’s not the lifestyle center that can be found in every upscale suburb. It isn’t subdued or ashamed to be themed.

And Disney shouldn’t be a follower. It shouldn’t be looking at chain hotels or fancy malls and imitating that style. It should be creating something new, something fantastic and realer then real, something big that influences future pedestrian shopping centers, even though they’ll never have the guts or the resources to theme as completely as Disney.

You want sleek, generic, banal? You can get that in Anytown, USA. Disney needs to justify itself through the presentation of the exceptional.

Oh, and you might want to consider that some of those “middle aged adults” might have experience and perspective you lack. Fresh, young, enthusiastic eyes can be wonderful, but they can sometimes lack scope. If you don’t mind my asking, when did you first visit WDW?

Casper Gutman

Disney doesn’t need to do any of that because they will ALWAYS be on top, even in spite of the rhetoric on here, no one will ever bring down the beast no matter what they do. My first visit was 1996 at the age of 4 so I grew up with the Disney everyone on here hates apparently
Any corporation, any cultural institution, no matter how seemingly invincible, can topple. And they can do it fast. It happens all the time. The new WoD won’t kill Disney. It’s barely a blip on the radar. But when you weaken a companies foundational image, when you eat away at what makes it special, you make it vulnerable. And when the economy shifts, or society changes, the foundation fails and that seemingly invincible company can crumble at lightning speed.

I don’t hate WDW. Disney World is still great, although some of that greatness is a remnant of an earlier era. It still has ToT, PotC, SSE, AKL... it still has the best entertainment of any park on Earth. But its management has been making mistakes, and it’s fair to point those out.

Jambo Joe

That’s it! World of Disney won’t see one red cent of mine! I’m buying all of my park merchandise at the Emporium or Mouse Gear! That’ll stick it to the Bobs!

The above statement is ludicrous; however, the Emporium and Mouse Gear have leapfrogged over WoD as my go to places for park merchandise. Shopping experience matters, and I want to be reminded I’m at WDW.
Lol - epic.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You are absolutely incorrect in almost every way... but you should be hired by Disney because this exact mentality is what is destroying Disney's identity.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Knowing I would be triggering people like you by “destroying” would make the job so worth it :cool:
It's worth noting again that a space like the World of Disney can be updated properly, to make it more open and functional without selling-out to the likes of Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. The mentality you have is exactly, the same mentality WED had with GMR and UoE. You start chipping away at what makes these attractions/stores/parks great and it will catch up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom