PHOTOS - Sight-line test balloons up over Disney's Polynesian Resort

Gregoryp73

The Question is, where exactly were the balloons...I've been thinking that Poly was going to get DVC for awhile. I actually thought they would have done a poly DVC before GF...

I'll be interested to see if they cannibalize exisiting structures...or if they will build on brand new land. My thought is that they will take out the 3 houses on the west side, between the main house and the luau area.

captainkidd

I wasn't worried about getting a room, I already have one reserved. I was just wondering if there might be construction while I was there.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I wanted to stay at the GF in January, but decided against it because of the construction of DVC.

amazingwdw

Looking at a map, with the TTC to the east and the wedding pavilion to the north of Spirit of Aloha, there is only one place for expansion without demolishing any structures. I decided I'd be creative and see just how much space there really is for a DVC. I took both the Aotearoa and Samoa longhouses and put them in a "T" formation in the area west of Fiji and Tuvalu and expanded the shore further out into the lagoon. There appears to be plenty of space to do this, and the location coincides with where the balloons were placed today.
tumblr_m3txa2L8ns1r5aqj8o1_r1_1280.png

lentesta

Premium Member
Nice drawing, amazingwdw.

I understand the profit motive. But I'd be personally disappointed if Disney built a Polynesian DVC. Part of the charm of the resort is its relatively small size, and another part of it is the quality of the restaurants. Neither of those things would be improved by adding a couple hundred more rooms.

Doesn't the Yacht need its own DVC? Or Fort Wilderness? Or Kidani - it totally could use its own DVC wing (that's a joke).

Len

MissMorrow

I guess this is inevitable, but I'm really hoping it won't happen. I don't want to see yet another tower appearing around the lagoon.

Why not just build a new resort on Bay Lake? I don't understand. :confused:

KevinYee

I had word from a WDI insider almost a year ago to document two things: Frontierland in MK and the Poly. Both might look very different in the future.

The Poly building is apparently not salvageable. A rebuilt of the main house is in order, apparently. It's not clear to me if the driver to all this is a rebuild of the existing hotel (day guest) concept or a DVC concept, but the latter wouldn't surprise me.

majortom1981

If the rumors of the poly buildings being in really bad shape are true they could use the building of dvc units to help finance redoing of the poly.

citymagic

I have heard the same thing about GCH: it has to be rebuilt completely. Having worked inside it, I believe it.

The longhouses aren't in great shape either. Rot, mold, etc.

NewfieFan

Nice drawing, amazingwdw.

I understand the profit motive. But I'd be personally disappointed if Disney built a Polynesian DVC. Part of the charm of the resort is its relatively small size, and another part of it is the quality of the restaurants. Neither of those things would be improved by adding a couple hundred more rooms.

Doesn't the Yacht need its own DVC? Or Fort Wilderness? Or Kidani - it totally could use its own DVC wing (that's a joke).

Len

How do you think the quality of the restaurants will change? I'm just curious!?! Did the quality of the restaurants in Jambo House change when they added Kidani? If anything we gained a great restaurant (a true gem IMO), Sanaa!

I had word from a WDI insider almost a year ago to document two things: Frontierland in MK and the Poly. Both might look very different in the future.

The Poly building is apparently not salvageable. A rebuilt of the main house is in order, apparently. It's not clear to me if the driver to all this is a rebuild of the existing hotel (day guest) concept or a DVC concept, but the latter wouldn't surprise me.

I remember reading something about the Poly going down for major refurb before. So is it true? The whole GCH has to be rebuilt!?!

Rob562

Uh-oh.

I would hope that they would at least have the sense not to build a high-rise DVC component next to a low-rise hotel... but after seeing Disney build a DVC on top of the beach at what was supposed to be a beach hotel, I'm not too sure of anything these days.

The original plans and concept art for the Polynesian in the late-60's included a high-rise building... :lookaroun

-Rob

bethymouse

All very interesting!

Whatever Disney can do to bring in more money, they will do!:(
The POLY is a classic hotel. I would hope that they could keep it that way. Maybe GCH has to be redone. If there will be a high rise, then so be it as long as the theming is basically the same!
We're staying @ the Poly in Sept., so I hope any possible construction doesn't begin until after then!:eek:
Maybe the longhouses need a serious redo, but again, I hope they don't change the entire concept and "feel" of the Poly!
Will they rename the POLY?
Is the tikimanpages concept art correct about what the "new" Poly would look like?
It all remains to be seen...:goodnevil

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom