PHOTOS - Second Ferry boat loading dock under construction at the Transportation and Ticket Center

ABQ

All 3 ferries can be parked at TtC. 2 at MK. The ferries can also dock at all the resorts although this is a tricky manuever, I hated doing it. The MK secondary dock is pretty safe and we would use it but the ttc secondary was not ideal and we were discouraged from letting guests use it.
I always wondered why the resort docks were all built with obvious accessibility for a large vessel, though I can see it being quite a hassle with none of the pylons guiding the way for the ferry boat. Still would love to see it docked at one someday.

janoimagine

I always wondered why the resort docks were all built with obvious accessibility for a large vessel, though I can see it being quite a hassle with none of the pylons guiding the way for the ferry boat. Still would love to see it docked at one someday.
Last November I was shooting sunrise at the Wilderness Lodge and I captured a few shots of the Big Boys going through the channel by the Contemporary ... It looked odd to see them in that part of the lake.

kelknight84

Last November I was shooting sunrise at the Wilderness Lodge and I captured a few shots of the Big Boys going through the channel by the Contemporary ... It looked odd to see them in that part of the lake.
Yes to fuel or get maintenance we have to go across the water bridge to dry dock at the back of Bay Lake. Another "fun" experience where you keep your fingers crossed the whole time!

Cosmic Commando

If they don't want to invest in the monorail system, how about more ferry docks and more ferries? There seems to be space at TTC and on the MK side. They have a big capacity. How often is there a situation where they can't run? Lightning maybe? You hear people say how they can't really put more monorails on the beams, but you can put more boats on the lake! Let the monorail be the pretty toy of WDW transportation, and let the ferries be the workhorses... even more so.
Disney finally got around to reading my post from 2011! Hello, future Disney intern from 2017! How is Avatar Land?

Victor Kelly

So they will be adding a fourth ferry? maybe? huh huh, hint hint.

I am looking here:http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=28.414902&lon=-81.579478&z=19&m=b

I see the second loading dock to the left of where the ferry in docked. I believe that is the original dock or one of the two original docks at MK. The right dock was extended due to low water level in the lake I believe, years and years ago.

If they are expanding the ferry, then good. Who would the name a fourth ferry after?

WeekendGM

On another note, concerning the Express Monorail queue, I've often wondered why there was never a large queue area never constructed at the top of the Express ramp to the right (the grassy area between the station and the fence for the WDWRRR). Lines could climb up to the top of the ramp, turn right into a new system of queues, and then move back to the main platform. If it were covered, it could provide much greater comfort for guests leaving the MK, especially during torrential rains, when EVERYONE seems to leave the MK at once.

From what I heard that area is there as an overrun area in case the railroad train were to derail. Take that with a grain of salt though.

CDavid

Yes to fuel or get maintenance we have to go across the water bridge to dry dock at the back of Bay Lake. Another "fun" experience where you keep your fingers crossed the whole time!

Out of curiosity, how often do you have to refuel these ferries?

From what I heard that area is there as an overrun area in case the railroad train were to derail. Take that with a grain of salt though.

No, that makes no sense. You are still moving slow from the Main Street station stop, and there are far tighter areas on the MK loop. Trains seldom derail off the roadbed on tangent (straight) track anyway.

kelknight84

Out of curiosity, how often do you have to refuel these ferries?

I can't remember exactly but it was every few days. There was a rotation schedule. It always did amaze me how long those boats could run though. Even the launch and cruiser did well.

Last edited:

Belle2013

So glad to see this second dock come to play. In the mornings when everyone is there it would feel like forever to get on the boat. But the CMs were awesome with the chalk drawings :) So I am very excited about this change.

Rasvar

For many years, some of the various ferry boats were equipped to be party boats. One of the current ones used to have beverage facilities and restrooms for these purposes. I remember seeing the Southern Seas docked at the resort docks in the evenings quite often for parties back in the 70's.

kelknight84

For many years, some of the various ferry boats were equipped to be party boats. One of the current ones used to have beverage facilities and restrooms for these purposes. I remember seeing the Southern Seas docked at the resort docks in the evenings quite often for parties back in the 70's.

This is correct. The blue one, the potter was originally for charter only. It still has the bathrooms but they are now locked and out of operation.

JimboJones123

Shame this wasn't up and running in January when the Monorails started going down.

Those 2-3 ferry backups at 11:30 were just sad. It really takes the wind out of a day to MK when it takes 90 minutes to get into the park. At that point it is meal time and Casey's is closed.

DManRightHere

About that time to update infrastructure or other big things coming I wonder. Lots of infrastructure work going on all the sudden (this, automated monorails, hub, walkways).
And downtown Disney parking decks! I hope they have easy out exits. Though I've always used the bus to get there....but it takes forever because of traffic. Hopefully parking decks will help.

FerretAfros

I can't remember exactly but it was every few days. There was a rotation schedule. It always did amaze me how long those boats could run though. Even the launch and cruiser did well.

If they were truly concerned about a derailment in that area, they would install a guardrail to the track, similar to what they don for 'real' trains on bridges or in tunnels. It's essentially a second set of rails in between the regular rails that would stop a train from veering off of the structure in case it jumped the rail for some reason. I would assume that Disney implements something similar at Main Street Station, where a derailment would send trains off the track and onto the walkways. If they wanted to use that area for monorail queue space, it would be a very simple upgrade to the track

Here's a photo showing what a guardrail looks like (on a model railroad):
DSC003871.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom