PHOTOS - New meet and greet area constructed at the Japan Pavilion to celebrate Japanese youth

dreamfinder

Seems odd to expect that many people to queue up for what is essentially a streetmosphere character. If they were going to dust off some of the Japanese themed outfits for the fab 5 that must be sitting around somewhere, or possibly (seems slightly unlikely, but no more so than Frozen in Norway) move Hiro & Baymax over here, then I could see a queue like that. But for random CMs? Someone is shooting for the moon if that's the case.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seems odd to expect that many people to queue up for what is essentially a streetmosphere character. If they were going to dust off some of the Japanese themed outfits for the fab 5 that must be sitting around somewhere, or possibly (seems slightly unlikely, but no more so than Frozen in Norway) move Hiro & Baymax over here, then I could see a queue like that. But for random CMs? Someone is shooting for the moon if that's the case.
Baymax outside would seem unlikely due to various costuming issues.

The Empress Lilly

Wow, is the only way to enjoy entertainment anymore to take a million more pictures of yourself?

I thought these Harajuku girls were such a good idea, very Japanese and very contemporary. Alas, when they are posing at a designated m&g all day long there is no point anymore. What a curse that everything that walks, breathes or talks should be swamped by selfie seekers.

GetAPaperBag

Wow, is the only way to enjoy entertainment anymore to take a million more pictures of yourself?

I thought these Harajuku girls were such a good idea, very Japanese and very contemporary. Alas, when they are posing at a designated m&g all day long there is no point anymore. What a curse that everything that walks, breathes or talks should be swamped by selfie seekers.

People wanting pictures of themselves on vacation. What is this world coming to?

BoarderPhreak

Oh, now this will be interesting. :D

6-DokiDoki-Harajuku-2010-08-07-190.jpg

Slowjack

I thought these Harajuku girls were such a good idea, very Japanese and very contemporary. Alas, when they are posing at a designated m&g all day long there is no point anymore.
Same thought here. The idea seemed odd at first, but then it grew on me. Having people in stylized versions of native dress wandering around a country pavilion could really add to the atmosphere. But sticking them in a M&G corral doesn't do that. Plus I imagine a lot of conversations between parents and children along the lines of "I don't know what movie they are from, either."

NMBC1993

I was also keen on the idea of the Harajuku girls as well. As I stated before, anything new in the Japan pavilion is a win for me. Now with a (supposed) meet and greet location, this really defeats the purpose of having something like this. Average guests will be confused, trying to figure out what latest "Disney live-action movie" these girls are from, meanwhile there's the hordes of people who don't care who the actors are or what they represent, they just have to get a "selfie" with them because "there's a line for those people, so they must be important".

First Disney puts out a want-ad for performers who don't necessarily need to have an Asian background or know the language, now these performers have nowhere to "perform" except for a small section in the back of the pavilion. To quote the great Billy Dee Williams...

NMBC1993

Still rather see Anime characters since the exhibit is based on Anime.....
ec6af6d441425518ad33277f1d8e82431364123587_full.jpg
d3385caa3139126de2fa8fc200d30e48.jpg

My (other) thoughts exactly. I've been thinking for awhile now that it would be great if Disney struck a deal with maybe Funimation or one of those companies to host an Anime convention in Epcot for one weekend every year, similar to Festival of the Masters.

They've got a whole warehouse in the back of the pavilion (not sure about the size as I've never seen it in person) but I thought that would make a great "central hub" for the event or if it's too small use World Showplace. Since Disney already uses Flower and Garden/Food and Wine to cater to the "drunk crowd", also they attract the "marathon crowd" with their multiple races every year. Why not make some money on another fan base out there? It would only be for a weekend so non-Anime fans wont have to put up with "annoying okatus" running around and it would be a great way to showcase upcoming shows/movies/etc. as well as maybe bring in some actors and actresses as guests similar to SWW such as Yōko Hikasa for example (I know, I know, it HIGHLY improbable but this is my example so let's go with that).

I'm well aware that this would not be everyone's cup of tea, just like those RunDisney event are not catered to me. But I believe the fan base is big enough to support a once a year event such as this.

Ok, I'm done. Feel free to scoff away at the idea (because this is the internet after all);)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom