PHOTOS - Height balloon test spotted at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Buried20KLeague

They could build to 199 feet and not have the red beacon on top. This is why Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror, etc. all are just under the 200 feet mark and so do not have the red lights that FAA requires.
Cinderella Castle 189 ft (as measured from base of moat)
Tower of Terror Hotel 199 ft
Spaceship Earth 180 ft
Tree of Life 145 ft
Expedition Everest 199.50 ft

I've always found this so ridiculous. Especially post 9/11. Isn't WDW a no-fly zone anyway since then? Or at least requires special permission?

It seems nuts that they can't get some exception to putting a stupid red light on the top of a building.

raymusiccity

Oh... well then ignore my ignorance! I had went though a few articles on there, guess I didn't think to look at the year.

Considering the height balloon tests though, I wouldn't be surprised if they are thinking of dusting off those old plans.

I don't think you need to "dust off those 'old' plans".

2 yr. old plans qualify as 'hot off the press' to Disney! :)

Bocabear

2 year old plans...Hell they would still be doing feasibility studies, guest input studies and cost analysis...I imagine most things are designed many years before ground is ever broken... Many Many years...

Rob562

I've always found this so ridiculous. Especially post 9/11. Isn't WDW a no-fly zone anyway since then? Or at least requires special permission?

It seems nuts that they can't get some exception to putting a stupid red light on the top of a building.

Only parts of property have a no fly zone designation, pretty much just MK. And AFAIK no-fly zones do not apply to military aircraft, so they would require the markers.
And what about Disney authorized aircraft like helicopters filming the parks, or doing things like airlifting A/C units onto the roof of a hotel building like I saw at Sports years ago?

-Rob

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It's Class A airspace and on both the approach and departure areas around MCO and ANYTHING taller than 200' needs a beacon. Does not matter that there is a TFR if there is a in-flight emergency ATC will not hesitate to vector an aircraft over Disney hence the beacon requirements.

S 2

They could build to 199 feet and not have the red beacon on top. This is why Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror, etc. all are just under the 200 feet mark and so do not have the red lights that FAA requires.
Cinderella Castle 189 ft (as measured from base of moat)
Tower of Terror Hotel 199 ft
Spaceship Earth 180 ft
Tree of Life 145 ft
Expedition Everest 199.50 ft

Space Mountain? I remember when it was considered the 3rd highest mountain in FL, I ask because Im curious if Expedition Everest bumped it up to #4...

S 2

I'm with you. I wish we could get a hotel like the one at Disneyland Paris:

serveimage

That's awesome. It's a little like the Grand Floridian, but way better IMO - just seems more magical. I too don't like the glass-and-steel resorts. I'm not even crazy about the Disneyland Hotel, which to me doesn't look all that Disney-ish, at least on the outside. It looks too "executive", and kinda meh. The Grand Californian is, eh, better, but still not as cool as Paris'. Disneyland deserves better. If WDW ever built a DVC that looked like a castle, it'd get my money, no doubt about it. I don't know why Disney doesn't draw from its iconic films or attractions for resort ideas. Who wouldn't want to stay in a Haunted Mansion hotel, or Tower of Terror, or the Beast's Castle? Those would be awesome, and I bet TDO wouldn't have much trouble keeping them full.

Check out the old artist rendering for Disneyland hotel expansion, it looks like a version of this hotel was considered at one time. Did it become the Grand Floridian? The Paris hotel in the photo? A blend of both?

I thought it would be cool if Disney World could have a WDW Hotel, or Magic Kingdom Hotel like they have at DL... I also like the themed areas in the Disneyland hotel themed to Adventureland, Frontierland ETC... It would be cool if there was a posh WDW hotel on the land between the Contemporary and Polynesian that featured all the themed lands around the various parks...

Also: A Haunted Mansion area in PO is genius! I would love to see them eventually do this!

Now the part that will anger the few noisemakers who live on this site: A New Orleans Square (Towns of America around Rivers of America) in the MK, or if they want something original maybe Savannah or another town... But theres no room? Ok, lets move Its a Small World to World Showcase and use that space for a throughway. Oh! And expand the monorail to DHS and some choice EPCOT resorts! (Can't wait for the backlash for suggesting this) ;)

Bocabear

Check out the old artist rendering for Disneyland hotel expansion, it looks like a version of this hotel was considered at one time. Did it become the Grand Floridian? The Paris hotel in the photo? A blend of both?

I thought it would be cool if Disney World could have a WDW Hotel, or Magic Kingdom Hotel like they have at DL... I also like the themed areas in the Disneyland hotel themed to Adventureland, Frontierland ETC... It would be cool if there was a posh WDW hotel on the land between the Contemporary and Polynesian that featured all the themed lands around the various parks...

Also: A Haunted Mansion area in PO is genius! I would love to see them eventually do this!

Now the part that will anger the few noisemakers who live on this site: A New Orleans Square (Towns of America around Rivers of America) in the MK, or if they want something original maybe Savannah or another town... But theres no room? Ok, lets move Its a Small World to World Showcase and use that space for a throughway. Oh! And expand the monorail to DHS and some choice EPCOT resorts! (Can't wait for the backlash for suggesting this) ;)
I always thought that too...Using the land that was originally supposed to be the Venetian Resort (Someone said the land couldn't be used), but build a DVC only resort there, directly on the monorail line and let the theme of the resort be The Magic Kingdom...they could even call it the E-Ticket Resort....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Move IaSW to World Showcase? :rolleyes: Expand the monorail? :banghead:

Reality is calling, you may want to answer. :facepalm:

IIRC, the land that was earmarked for a Persian resort was found to be unstable/unusable. And a majority of the undeveloped land within the confines of the Walt Disney World Resort is not usable for buildings.

Bocabear

Move IaSW to World Showcase? :rolleyes: Expand the monorail? :banghead:

Reality is calling, you may want to answer. :facepalm:

IIRC, the land that was earmarked for a Persian resort was found to be unstable/unusable. And a majority of the undeveloped land within the confines of the Walt Disney World Resort is not usable for buildings.
Everything is usable if they want to purt the money in to stabilize it... Let's face it most of the land on the WDW property was unstable at one time or another... judicious ground prep and draining... Not wanting to spend the money might be another issue...

Monorail_Red_77

Space Mountain? I remember when it was considered the 3rd highest mountain in FL, I ask because Im curious if Expedition Everest bumped it up to #4...

Most I can find out about Space Mountain is that is clocks in at a height of 183 ft in WDW MK "top of tallest spire" (Disneylands is smaller and the remainder of the Space Mountains were copied after DL's smaller version). So yes that should have been included in my list.
Up next I suppose I should get a height on the rest of the mountain range at WDW. LOL

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everything is usable if they want to purt the money in to stabilize it... Let's face it most of the land on the WDW property was unstable at one time or another... judicious ground prep and draining... Not wanting to spend the money might be another issue...

The question is these days since another round of cuts is firing up does Disney even HAVE the money to spend even if they wanted to...

djkidkaz

Jim Hill mentioned on his latest podcast that this DVC project would be a tower of sorts with a lounge on top with views of illuminations at night.

I don't mind it being tall if it helps to hide the site lines of those off site hotels you can see from CBR.

COProgressFan

I don't mind it being tall if it helps to hide the site lines of those off site hotels you can see from CBR.

A good point, but I don't like seeing the off property (Bonnet Creek) towers from World Showcase, and I certainly wouldn't want to see towers from Caribbean Beach from World Showcase either.

James Norrie

Not Quite that easy... Most of MK and original resorts were built on Inland Wetlands, which have since been deemed protected from development (yes, even on Private Property). It would take one heck of a variance to be able to build on those same lands now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom