PHOTOS - Height balloon test spotted at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

radiohost

There was supposed to be haunted mansion themed rooms that never went past the artist rendering to be developed at Port Orleans Riverside...Google it.

The problem is that small kids who just spent the entire day at the park and already crying from exhaustion would come to a room at night themed pretty spooky. No parent wants to deal with that...

SpaceMountain77

Agree. Maybe it's just accounting for the highest point of a peaked roof or bell tower? Certainly hope they don't build an 8-10 story tower complex...

When this rumor first broke, a few years ago, a 7-story tower was projected, supposedly allowing for viewing of Illuminations from the top balconies.

SpaceMountain77

I'm with you. I wish we could get a hotel like the one at Disneyland Paris:

serveimage

That's awesome. It's a little like the Grand Floridian, but way better IMO - just seems more magical. I too don't like the glass-and-steel resorts. I'm not even crazy about the Disneyland Hotel, which to me doesn't look all that Disney-ish, at least on the outside. It looks too "executive", and kinda meh. The Grand Californian is, eh, better, but still not as cool as Paris'. Disneyland deserves better. If WDW ever built a DVC that looked like a castle, it'd get my money, no doubt about it. I don't know why Disney doesn't draw from its iconic films or attractions for resort ideas. Who wouldn't want to stay in a Haunted Mansion hotel, or Tower of Terror, or the Beast's Castle? Those would be awesome, and I bet TDO wouldn't have much trouble keeping them full.

I would welcome the addition of a true Fantasyland-themed resort on shores of Disney's Seven Seas Lagoon. Of all the possible themes for a resort, to me, it is astounding that an all-out magical, storybook/fairytale castle-inspired resort has yet to be constructed.

SpaceMountain77

Another site is suggesting that Barbados would be razed. Depending on your site of choice, proposed construction is leaning toward one of three areas: Barbados, Trinidad North & Trinidad South, or south of Jamaica. Although some are suggesting only one parcel of land will be used for an annex, what if the CBR DVC addition will include multiple structures throughout the resort? To maximize the number of points that can be sold, perhaps DVC will build the 7-story tower in the area that is currently Barbados and over-the-water style bungalows south of Jamaica. Moreover, there may be dining and amenity enhancements planned for the overall resort.

I am not anticipating a simple tower, but an Extreme Makeover: Resort Edition, given the signs.

CrescentLake

Another site is suggesting that Barbados would be razed. Depending on your site of choice, proposed construction is leaning toward one of three areas: Barbados, Trinidad North & Trinidad South, or south of Jamaica. Although some are suggesting only one parcel of land will be used for an annex, what if the CBR DVC addition will include multiple structures throughout the resort? To maximize the number of points that can be sold, perhaps DVC will build the 7-story tower in the area that is currently Barbados and over-the-water style bungalows south of Jamaica. Moreover, there may be dining and amenity enhancements planned for the overall resort.

I am not anticipating a simple tower, but an Extreme Makeover: Resort Edition, given the signs.

While not disagreeing with you (you have made accurate observations and probably know more than me), I find this ridiculous. They have a totally cleared and open parcel of land to the west of Trinidad South. Build there. Do the bungalow cash grab DVC down there. Don't destroy the other buildings of this resort...there is no need!

BMoo

From what I had been told, the pre-design work for the DVC Caribbean project located it in the empty spot between Barbados and Aruba. This was primarily to find a way to integrate boat service to Epcot from the resort, although I don't know how that was expected to work out.

Bocabear

From what I had been told, the pre-design work for the DVC Caribbean project located it in the empty spot between Barbados and Aruba. This was primarily to find a way to integrate boat service to Epcot from the resort, although I don't know how that was expected to work out.
If they built a bridge on Buena Vista Drive, it would be very easy to connect the resort to EPcot...except the boats would be rolling through backstage fireworks barges on the way...but it would create a second "International Gateway" entrance... It would be a big engineering project but they could actually connect Art Of Animation, Pop Century, and Caribbean Beach all via watercraft with a back entrance into EPCOT...

hpyhnt 1000

IF one of the goals of this project was to connect a new Caribbean Beach DVC with Epcot via a waterway, you could very easily incorporate it into a new pavilion themed to South/Central America or the Caribbean. Epcot would get a new country (rather than just a second International Gateway) and for guests staying at the resort, the "story" would work as you sail from your Caribbean resort to a new port of call.

Plus, integrating it into a pavilion (probably immediately next to Germany) would allow boats to stay out of the backstage marina, so maintenance and pyro storage would be unaffected.

Fun to dream about at least...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
IF one of the goals of this project was to connect a new Caribbean Beach DVC with Epcot via a waterway, you could very easily incorporate it into a new pavilion themed to South/Central America or the Caribbean. Epcot would get a new country (rather than just a second International Gateway) and for guests staying at the resort, the "story" would work as you sail from your Caribbean resort to a new port of call.

Plus, integrating it into a pavilion (probably immediately next to Germany) would allow boats to stay out of the backstage marina, so maintenance and pyro storage would be unaffected.

That would be awesome, so of course, they will never do it. Can't give them anything good nowadays. ;)

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

And just think of all the different rum drinks they could sell at a Caribbean Pavilion!!

Bocabear

I didn't even think of the pavilion addition, but yeah that would be amazing!
and get a good rum company in as a corporate sponsor...or even a mediocre rum company that is huge and has a lot of monfy (Bacardi)... It would ceertainly add more to the showcase than FEA...AND the Shanghai's version of Pirates would actually fit this new pavilion...while not competing with the old version in the Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Well, the rumor was a 7 story building with sightlines and a connection by the African Outpost section of World Showcase.

S 2

Agree. Maybe it's just accounting for the highest point of a peaked roof or bell tower? Certainly hope they don't build an 8-10 story tower complex...

Could be that one always reaches maximum height before they have to put on of those red airplane lights, something like 200 ft I think?

S 2

I didn't even think of the pavilion addition, but yeah that would be amazing!
and get a good rum company in as a corporate sponsor...or even a mediocre rum company that is huge and has a lot of monfy (Bacardi)... It would ceertainly add more to the showcase than FEA...AND the Shanghai's version of Pirates would actually fit this new pavilion...while not competing with the old version in the Magic Kingdom

Bacardi is seen in the Caribbean the way Corona is seen in Mexico, but since there's a Starbucks in 1920s Main Street and a Frozen ride in the Norway pavilion why not?

surfsupdon

I am all for expanding waterways and increasing transportation options to get rid of an over reliance on busses. A water route and new walkway would be terrific.

Monorail_Red_77

Could be that one always reaches maximum height before they have to put on of those red airplane lights, something like 200 ft I think?

They could build to 199 feet and not have the red beacon on top. This is why Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror, etc. all are just under the 200 feet mark and so do not have the red lights that FAA requires.
Cinderella Castle 189 ft (as measured from base of moat)
Tower of Terror Hotel 199 ft
Spaceship Earth 180 ft
Tree of Life 145 ft
Expedition Everest 199.50 ft

COProgressFan

If they built a bridge on Buena Vista Drive, it would be very easy to connect the resort to EPcot...except the boats would be rolling through backstage fireworks barges on the way...but it would create a second "International Gateway" entrance... It would be a big engineering project but they could actually connect Art Of Animation, Pop Century, and Caribbean Beach all via watercraft with a back entrance into EPCOT...

That would be awesome, so of course, they will never do it. Can't give them anything good nowadays. ;)

It would absolutely be a huge project, and one of those cool "only in Disney" features they were once known for.

Who would embark on a massive project like that to create another gateway entrance to Epcot with boats to various resorts, elevating BVD and putting a river under it, reworking backstage areas including fireworks and propane storage, all while adding both practical transport as well as ambiance? The Walt Disney Company of the 1970's, 80's or 90s would probably say "if we can dream it, we can do it".

The Walt Disney Company of 2016 most certainly would not. The only way I see it happening is if they finally realized that DVC sales are eventually going to dry up (or already are, given price points and changes they made to resale rules), and they need something else to give buyers a reason to buy into what could very well be a plain hotel tower with Caribbean decorations. Boat access would certainly add to the "wow" factor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom