PHOTOS - Electric Vehicle charging now available at Disney's Animal Kingdom

truecoat

This is a great idea if they expand it to the other parks, hotels and Disney Springs. Otherwise it's just a marketing ploy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

halltd

I wonder if you have to be actively charging to park there and who actually monitors/enforces that. I know electric vehicle charging is relatively new, but the sheer volume of cars at each park's lot makes me think this is a low number of spaces (especially if you pull up at the beginning of the day, charge, and just leave your car there while you're in the park all day).

It looks like you have to pay for the power, so does anyone know if the charging port shuts off after the car is "full"? It'd be cool if it was able to notify the owner that their car was done so they could come back out and move to a normal space.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It looks like you have to pay for the power, so does anyone know if the charging port shuts off after the car is "full"? It'd be cool if it was able to notify the owner that their car was done so they could come back out and move to a normal space.
Yes it is linked to the ChargePoint app and the driver can check the charge status at anytime, along with a notification when full.

I doubt many owners will come back and move the car however.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
dont know about you but i would just drive out to turkey lake and charge for free... or the service and sales center in Eatonville
Don't they charge at something like 20 miles per hour on a level 2? So you are going to leave the park, drive out and sit in the car for a few hours, then head back to the park?

dstrawn9889

turkey lake has a Supercharger, half hour or so for 170 miles or range. Turkey lake has 6 Supercharger stalls and five more J1772's

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
turkey lake has a Supercharger, half hour or so
I can imagine how that would go. 15 mins to get out of DAK, 30 mins to get to the Supercharger. Find out that the 6 or so they have are in use, wait a while, get on the charger, drive back to DAK, park, work your way back through the parking lot and into the park, that has blown 3 or 4 hours of the day messing around with charging the car.

Once we get to the point where EVs are common place, there are going to have be some serious changes to the charging infrastructure - there just aren't anywhere enough at these high traffic venus. Until then, it is going to have to be the Volt and i3 model of having a gas backup.

alphac2005

Don't they charge at something like 20 miles per hour on a level 2? So you are going to leave the park, drive out and sit in the car for a few hours, then head back to the park?

We have a Ford Focus Electric and we generally get around 25 miles per hour at a ChargePoint or NRG eVgo location. I'm not sure of how Disney is doing it, as the pictures look like only as many spots as there are chargers, but at many cluster locations, there are many additional parking spaces than the amount of charges available, so that with EV etiquette, if a vehicle is fully charged, another user can take the charger out and use on their vehicles, but ChargePoint and NRG eVgo require your card to be scanned again before disconnecting. There's usually pretty good etiquette with most EV drivers and when the car is fully charged, we'll move it over to another space.

My assumption is that Disney is going to have them in there under the assumption (for now) that they'll mostly be used by locals stopping by for a few hours.

dstrawn9889

I can imagine how that would go. 15 mins to get out of DAK, 30 mins to get to the Supercharger. Find out that the 6 or so they have are in use, wait a while, get on the charger, drive back to DAK, park, work your way back through the parking lot and into the park, that has blown 3 or 4 hours of the day messing around with charging the car.

Once we get to the point where EVs are common place, there are going to have be some serious changes to the charging infrastructure - there just aren't anywhere enough at these high traffic venus. Until then, it is going to have to be the Volt and i3 model of having a gas backup.
but if you are staying onsite you can plug in at the resort off of 120 and use the buses, right?

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Virtual Toad

This is great news. I do wish Epcot would add another bank of chargers on the other side of its parking lot. It's difficult if not impossible to access the existing charging stations after about noon, when they re-route traffic to the left-hand lot. :-(

dstrawn9889

Yep if you can find a suitable outlet hanging around.
ADAPTER GUIDE

Most outlets are either standard 110 volt outlets or higher powered 240 volt outlets. Higher powered outlets charge between four and six times faster than standard household outlets. If you plan to install an outlet in your garage, we recommend a NEMA 14-50 240 volt outlet.
Model S comes standard with three adapters which connect to most of the outlets you’ll find at home and in the wild: a NEMA 5-15 110 volt adapter, a NEMA 14-50 240 volt adapter, and a J1772 public charging station adapter. Additional adapters are available for sale online.

VOLTS / AMPS KILOWATTS MILES OF RANGE PER HOUR OF CHARGE
NEMA 5-15 Standard Outlet 110 V / 12 A 1.4 kW ----- 3
NEMA 5-20 Newer Standard Outlet 110 V / 15 A 1.8 kW ----- 4
NEMA 14-50 RVs and Campsites 240 V / 40 A 10 kW ----- 29
NEMA 10-30 Older Dryers 240 V / 24 A 5.8 kW ----- 17

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom