PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

What really gets me is that the lobby decor appears that it will have the same "dated 70's era" look post-refurb as it does now. They don't drastically change the color scheme, the style of furniture, the flooring or the wall coverings. If the big concern was dated decor, than why on earth are they not updating the design? Its a real slap in the face that Disney is appearing to remove the one part of the lobby that is timeless (i.e. tropical plants, water features), and leaving all the 'Brady Bunch" vibe.

raymusiccity

What really gets me is that the lobby decor appears that it will have the same "dated 70's era" look post-refurb as it does now. They don't drastically change the color scheme, the style of furniture, the flooring or the wall coverings. If the big concern was dated decor, than why on earth are they not updating the design? Its a real slap in the face that Disney is appearing to remove the one part of the lobby that is timeless (i.e. tropical plants, water features), and leaving all the 'Brady Bunch" vibe.

I don't think anyone is considering it a 'slap in the face'. Hotels aren't museum pieces. Otherwise they would all hold onto their gas lamps, and advertise 'hot showers and Color T.V.'. We should hold off our critiquing artists concepts and look forward to something that seems to be more open, cheery and inviting than the tiki dreariness of the old poly lobby.

crispy

I don't think anyone is considering it a 'slap in the face'. Hotels aren't museum pieces. Otherwise they would all hold onto their gas lamps, and advertise 'hot showers and Color T.V.'. We should hold off our critiquing artists concepts and look forward to something that seems to be more open, cheery and inviting than the tiki dreariness of the old poly lobby.

Hey, that works for Pop Century!

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
I agree. We need to get off of this nostalgia kick. Do we really want to go back to the original Poly with it's smoking optional rooms or getting a table in the smoking section of one of it's restaurants. We need to move on.

Horizons1

Honestly I wish I could share with you BocaBear but when I was told I was asked never to share the information. It could cost someone their job. I don’t get the impression you are trying to pick a fight at all. No worries.

Really? More information you can't share?

flyerjab

I will agree that most of the issues we have discussed could have been resolved with lots of money they did not want to spend. The whole structure would have to come out to address all issues and they would have to rebuild the whole thing. Plants could have been added back in if they spent the money to put in a system of keeping them alive but I don’t believe that any of that would have been possible with the budget they were allowed so we end up with what we have.
Concept art for what they are going to do to the entry of the GCH has not leaked out yet. The Polynesian Village Resort rock sign is replacing the sign out at the entrance to the resort where the large wooden sign is now. The water features near the entrance to the GCH will be more like what was removed from inside the lobby.
Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what is coming. I will be interested in hearing your opinion once it is done.

@tikiman, is there any timeframe for when more concept art might be released? I really enjoy your website for the Poly and the updates you give are great. I am very intrigued by this project as I don't have the sentimental attachment to this particular resort that others do. As a result, I am actually (I hate to admit this for fear of public stoning) kind of excited about this project.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I agree. We need to get off of this nostalgia kick. Do we really want to go back to the original Poly with it's smoking optional rooms or getting a table in the smoking section of one of it's restaurants. We need to move on.

It's not nostalgia.

I think everyone would be more then happy with a beautiful NEW lobby, that retained a great centerpiece feature.

It's the idea that Disney can't install a water feature because it's too dangerous that is really ticking people off.

tikiman

This doesn't add up...

the water coming from the outside ponds puts everything at risk because it needs such filtering - so why not just pipe in a new water supply from the water mains so you reduce that problem. Certainly much more straight foward than ripping the whole thing out..

'the filters are so hard to get to..' - ok, so make those filters redundant by putting new filters in up stream of them or changing the water supply. Or... rip out the entire thing..

UV limits for skylights? Who is feeding you this stuff? Skylights are required to meet standards for impact, pressure, insulation, and breakage.. not UV. They must have a minimum insulating factor and must block a minimum amount of solar heat transfer for energy efficiency.

Maybe their new choice of fixtures is too blocking.. but whomever is telling you they aren't up to code because they don't block ENOUGH UV is misinformed and probably playing the telephone game... where they screw up everything they try to relay.

Then I guess I should just shut up and let you explain why they are doing what they are doing. You seem to have the answers and know who is right or wrong.

Bocabear

Nostalgically speaking, I would not be as concerned with this project if they were showing us concept art of an improved lobby with the same wow factor...Not an average looking hotel lobby that could be at the Sheraton or Holiday Inn. I loved the original Lobby..I think they did a wonderful job updating it over the years with the more natural materials...keeping it relevant looking...The new version just looks...well like every other hotel with a vaguely tropical theme... not Disney Classic...Not WOW!....Just sort of...eh.
I think if they were showing some art that looked like they were going to have something special, then maybe people would be more excited for this remodel... but from what they are showing us...which is the only means we have to form an opinion, I think they are removing the charm.
I am hopeful that there will be more to this than what they have shown us...

ptaylor

Premium Member
What makes no sense about any of this is that just down the road, the Gaylord Palms can do this

Gaylord-Palms-Resort_Full_8825.jpg

Huge waterfalls, massive amount of plants, and a near 100% glass roof.

Disney are saying they can't do any of these?

Amused to Death

The plants being removed was a separate issue. The sky lighting is not up to code for how much UV it lets into the building When they fix and replace the skylights they will install new ones that block most of the UV. The plants would end up dying unless they supply another artificial light source to allow the plants to grow but that has nothing to do with the waterfall removal. It is the reason the large atrium with plants is not going back in.

UV? Artificial light? Huh? Ever see the inside of the Gaylord Palms (a hop, skip, and a jump away from the eyesore that is Disney's Pop Century / Art of Animation)?

St Augustine.jpg

St. Augustine Atrium

Key West.jpg

Key West Lagoon - 161,000 gal - home to snapper, redfish, snook, stingrays, and tarpon

Gator Springs.jpg

Gator Springs - baby alligators and a variety of native turtles

Bocabear

EXACTLY! I think the reasons about pumping the water nearly 100' under the floors from the outside water features cant be true... And there are so many ways to fix the water quality issues and the UV without just removing the feature... They want to remove the feature....for whatever reason...that's all. If they wanted to fix it there are ways to do it.....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
EXACTLY! I think the reasons about pumping the water nearly 100' under the floors from the outside water features cant be true... And there are so many ways to fix the water quality issues and the UV without just removing the feature... They want to remove the feature....for whatever reason...that's all. If they wanted to fix it there are ways to do it.....

Or simply, tear it out and rebuild it.

crispy

What makes no sense about any of this is that just down the road, the Gaylord Palms can do this

Gaylord-Palms-Resort_Full_8825.jpg

Huge waterfalls, massive amount of plants, and a near 100% glass roof.

Disney are saying they can't do any of these?

The Gaylord water features and atriums are just amazing. With the Polynesian, I am pretty sure it's not a matter of "can't" but "won't" which is really sad.

tikiman

Well I know... but I can't tell you.

Or.. you could be being fed half truths or twisted things.

I don’t see people that I know very well telling me lies to keep me from sharing the truth and I am just sharing what they told me. I have left some of the information out that would explain why it absolutely had to come out but when they ask me not to say something then out of respect I don’t. I try to have respect for people even those that I disagree with their comments and opinion. My intention is just to share what information I am lucky to have access too. My intention is not to be argumentative. I will refrain from leaving any more comments on this subject so that you can explain to people why Disney is doing this. If you believe it is just greed and laziness or they are driven by nothing but money (I believe sometimes they are…..sometimes) then you are welcome to use that as your explanation to those who want to know. I totally understand the disappointment in many for things that Disney decides to do. What I don’t understand is the time spent complaining so much about Disney. If I had so much disdain for a company I would just be done with their product and move along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom