News PHOTOS - Construction walls up in Dinoland U.S.A. for Donald's Dino Bash

999th Happy Haunt

Are we 100% sure this is permenant? Besides that one article, has there been anywhere else that reported this? Is it possible that the info in the OS article could have been false and it was a misunderstanding from the Imagineer? I can’t imagine this being around for a long period of time.

Cmdr_Crimson

Are we 100% sure this is permenant? Besides that one article, has there been anywhere else that reported this? Is it possible that the info in the OS article could have been false and it was a misunderstanding from the Imagineer? I can’t imagine this being around for a long period of time.

Well, with AK Not having a "Technical" Kids land.....This seemed like the better option I guess?

Castle Cake Apologist

It's a direct quote from the person being interviewed. He says "it's here forever," so I don't see a lot of room for interpretation there.

This isn't WDI's doing, though. This was done by WDW Live Entertainment. I believe we can also thank them for such wonderful additions as Stitch's Supersonic Celebration and UP! A Great Bird Adventure,.

FigmentJedi

haha. Remember when Dinosaur was re-themed from Countdown to Extinction? I guess the movie is so irrelevant now that it's hardly an IP anymore. Like Splash Mountain.
It really wasn't a Retheme just a Re-Naming..The majority of the ride was untouched..
As told in the movie's art book, Countdown to Extinction was also a working title for the movie at one point and the synergistic connection was there from the start. Eisner wanted a more thrilling take on the original dinosaur safari idea and he also remembered that a dinosaur film project had been shelved a few years earlier, so Dinosaur went back into production to promote the ride, and by the time the film came out, they simply decided to make the ride's connection to the film more obvious.

ksr99

Is the Cretaceous Trail only closed temporarily, or will it be permanent? One of my best memories from working there was after park close, leaving at the end of my shift, and walking through the Trail with the dinosaur audio still playing and an empty park...it was very cool.
When did u work there?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As told in the movie's art book, Countdown to Extinction was also a working title for the movie at one point and the synergistic connection was there from the start. Eisner wanted a more thrilling take on the original dinosaur safari idea and he also remembered that a dinosaur film project had been shelved a few years earlier, so Dinosaur went back into production to promote the ride, and by the time the film came out, they simply decided to make the ride's connection to the film more obvious.
Fair enough. Although, it still screams "shoehorning an IP." Because what you just described, still sums up the topic of demanding as much of the IP as possible... In the end, at least.

999th Happy Haunt

It's a direct quote from the person being interviewed. He says "it's here forever," so I don't see a lot of room for interpretation there.

This isn't WDI's doing, though. This was done by WDW Live Entertainment. I believe we can also thank them for such wonderful additions as Stitch's Supersonic Celebration and UP! A Great Bird Adventure,.
I just saw it as an odd choice of words to say “It’s here forever.” I’m treating this like an entertainment venue so I guess what I was asking is how long this is gonna stick around for. It’s difficult for me to see this going past 2 years.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Ducktales Dino Adventureland? With a few mods this could actually work. Not a great fit mind you.. but a Dinosaur retheme wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility talking hypothetical armchair. The roadside carnival aesthetic also fits the shows tone. Says nothing to the core concept of DAK though; just more IP. Still. I'm a fan of the series both the classic and the reboot as are many others stretching a few generations. It could work if done well.

Last edited:

Biff215

OK, I'm going to be on the outside looking in for this opinion - this excites me quite a bit. Not necessarily the permanent additions to the land's gateway, but the concept of Donald exploring his dinosaur heritage is a perfect fit for the edutainment style of park that DAK originally intended to be. It's actually likely to be a bit more quality stealth science content than I think Dinosaur is able to deliver. I love the evolution silhouettes above the Welcome Center also reinforcing the message, and the fact that the dinosaur he's hugging is feathered as he should be.

I will caveat this with the fact that one of my favorite memories from my Honeymoon was a M&G with Donald on the Cretaceous Trail, with him in pith helmet and safari shirt. So I have a little bias in emotionally seeing Donald as a decent fit for the area.

But seriously, in a park that's about animals and science, having a kid-friendly hat-tip to teaching some basic evolutionary science facts is exciting to me as a professional science (among other things) interpreter and educator.
I get what you're saying, but I find it hard to believe that anyone other than yourself (as a science professional) will get any of the educational aspect. To me it just seems like a very loose way to connect Donald to Dinoland and justify the addition. It's probably good that it appeals to someone at least. I have younger kids but I can't see this exciting them very much, guess we'll see in August.

Here's to hoping the concept art actually looks worse than the real thing for once! :D

TJJohn12

...I find it hard to believe that anyone other than yourself (as a science professional) will get any of the educational aspect...

I actually think if people *know* it's educational content, then the game is lost before it's started. It's a form of stealth learning on an infinitesimal scale that hopefully accretes over time and experience. Just a simple realization that birds *ARE* dinosaurs after a few million years of work is enough learning to make me happy in this sort of setting. If people walk away and say, "Ducks are Dinosaurs!" that's a big win. :)

Good example? I have this card on my desk from MuseumHack in NYC - beat up and worn but my favorite little artifact of “enough” learning:

7B9D1F3C-8505-4D53-96A5-5C60587F9460.jpeg

Donald passes this test... :)

Fable McCloud

He sure will be...
https://i1.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSCF0350.jpg?resize=800%2C400&ssl=1

From the looks of the photo he will be off the beaten path across the way from the Alligator pen. This looks like what was a former Kids Discovery Station and was a DVC Kiosk at one point...
From Guide-To-Disney
kids-discovery-club-dinoland-USA-big.jpg

Thanks so much for that photo and information! I can't wait to let my guy know that he'll finally be able to see Scrooge!
I'd love to see him in his explorer gear from Treasure of the Lost Lamp!

Ducktales-disneyscreencaps_com-1027-1140x681.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

I get what you're saying, but I find it hard to believe that anyone other than yourself (as a science professional) will get any of the educational aspect. To me it just seems like a very loose way to connect Donald to Dinoland and justify the addition. It's probably good that it appeals to someone at least. I have younger kids but I can't see this exciting them very much, guess we'll see in August.

Here's to hoping the concept art actually looks worse than the real thing for once! :D

You have seen the bland layover they did for Red Rockit's Pizza Port/Pizza Planet layover in DL? I'm taking a bet that's the kind of budget will get for it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom